Quantcast Best time to visit....Really?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Best time to visit....Really?

It seems to me we always try to go at the least crowded times so we usually plan our trips for January or September. However our last trip in January was so crowded and uncomfortable that I don't think we will ever go again that time of year. It seems that in the past few years it has steadily gotten more and more so.

We are going to try February 12-19 this year mostly because of my daughters birthday, but I feel like I am seeing a lot of posts for Feb.

What has been your experience?
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always liked the week or 2 right after Labor Day. Schools are back in session and many parents are reluctant to pull their kids out that early in the school year.

However, we've started working around DD's school schedule somewhat, which is why we ended up in Disney during the first full week of November this year. The crowds weren't TOO bad for the bulk of the week. Our last day was miserably crowded.

We tried the first week of December in 2010 and I would NEVER do that time again. Pop Warner was going on that time, as was the taping of the parade. We didn't have any problems with the Pop Warner groups at all, but the parks just seemed soooo crowded that we'll never go back during that time.

Our Jan-Feb trip was not crowded at all, but that was 2007, so not sure how things have changed since.

My mantra at Disney is that a bad day at Disney still beats a good day at work!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

February crowds are pretty thick during President's Week with school vacations going on then in the colder parts of the country, but otherwise I have heard that February is a good time to go. The thing is that there really isn't a low crowd time anymore. It seems to be moderate crowds even during times that used to be low crowds.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinksmom02 View Post
    My mantra at Disney is that a bad day at Disney still beats a good day at work!
    Sooo true

Also I heard that about the break in February, I've lived in the cold state of Ohio my whole life and never heard of a break at that time of year. The only breaks we got and my kids now get are Christmas break and Spring break and in fact those can get cut short if they get too many snow days.
    Cassi
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hair_Razor View Post
    Sooo true

Also I heard that about the break in February, I've lived in the cold state of Ohio my whole life and never heard of a break at that time of year. The only breaks we got and my kids now get are Christmas break and Spring break and in fact those can get cut short if they get too many snow days.
    When we lived in Michigan, my kids got winter break in February just as they always did in Massachusetts and Connecticut. I'm sure it varies depending on your area and school system, but I think a lot of schools get the winter break week in February. Also a spring break week in April and the week at Christmas until just after New Year. But depending on snow days, they go to school until almost the end of June and head back in the last week of August or first week of September. Massachusetts has a mandatory 180 day schedule for public schools. Not sure about other states.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, Looks like we need to move

Does seem that that week that everyone is off is the week following Presidents Day as you mentioned so we will be leaving as everyone arrives hopefully *fingers crossed
    Cassi
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Be warned, President's Week is VERY busy. Also, Mardi Gras is falling that week as well. I'd switch weeks if you possibly can. We're from South Louisiana and most of the kids here are off the week of Mardi Gras. We always go to Disney that week UNLESS it falls the same week as President's Week. (This year it does.) No Disney for us until the beginning of May. We've done May before, and the crowds are moderate. Spring break is over, but school isn't out yet. Plus, it's warm but usually not too hot and humid. An added bonus are the flowers at Epcot!
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eandrsmom View Post
    Be warned, President's Week is VERY busy. Also, Mardi Gras is falling that week as well. I'd switch weeks if you possibly can.
    We are going the week before Presidents week, 12-19. So again, hopefully we will be leaving before the crowd comes. My last post did make it confusing.
    Cassi
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

You'll probably be okay then. I'm sure that the crowds will pick up toward the end of the week.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SBETigg;2231700]When we lived in Michigan, my kids got winter break in February just as they always did in Massachusetts and Connecticut. QUOTE]

Rhode Island also has February break. I assume it would be most of New England does. And by that time all parents are looking for a vacation that includes the sun in general lol. And anything with temperatures 50 and above
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

While no time to truly crowd-free, we've experienced manageable crowds during May - particularly early may, early to mid-December, October, late August into early September, early June, January into early February (but before Presidents' Day week).
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

May if you like it warm, September usually but can be rainy, and the first week of Feb but it's not usually the best weather then. I mean it can be hit or miss with warm to downright chilly weather. I've always found it starts to pick up again around Valentine's day and alot of people go around President's Day.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We go the week before President's day each year, and it is busy, but not crazy like Spring Break. The weather can be dicey, so be prepared (sometimes very cold)! It always gets busier near the end of the week.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    ...the first week of Feb but it's not usually the best weather then. I mean it can be hit or miss with warm to downright chilly weather...
    "Chilly" is a relative term. If you're from you're from the Northeast , even the 40s in February can seem balmy.

It's been 2 years since I visited the world (and there's no trip in sight)...I'd take just about any weather or crowd level rightn ow...

Sorry, seems I've OD'd on smilies!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent_vf View Post
    "Chilly" is a relative term. If you're from you're from the Northeast , even the 40s in February can seem balmy.
    Agree, as I am from way up north as well, but if someone wants to go for warm weather and swimming Feb. is not always good for that. That being said, I would still rather be in FL in Feb than where I am!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I've run into dance and cheer groups in February before President's Day. It can make the hotels busy but they tend to spread out in the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been to WDW in early September and late January there were very low crowds both times, especially in September. But we were just there the week before Thanskgiving and crowds were very manageable. The F&WF had just ended and the Thanksgiving crowds had not yet arrived, but MVMCP was already happening and the resorts were already starting to get decorated for Christmas. The weather was nice too. Temperatures were mostly in the 70's and the only rain was about 20 minutes one morning that wouldn't even classify as a drizzle. It was a nice time to go.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I can feel the OP's pain. We've been going in January for years, but after last year, we won't do it again. The crowds, while manageable, were dangerous. We ran into some tour groups that we actually causing harm to others, and also making situations very uncomfortable for other guests. For that reason alone, we've moved to the first week in February. We'll see if that makes any difference at all. We like the cooler temps of January-February, so if the crowds are a bit different in February, we'll make a new tradition!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

We've always gone late October and found the crowds to be light. We went this Sept and found it the same although it was EXTREMELY hot and humid. A cast member told us that this past Sept was unusually humid. I hope she was right because we are heading down again this coming Sept.

WDWCrazyKaren -- In what way dangerous???? I actually noticed on our recent trip that the crowds were not the same as during our prior trip which was about 4 years ago. I don't know if it is just me, but I found people to be rude, pushy and argumentative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWCrazyKaren View Post
    I can feel the OP's pain. We've been going in January for years, but after last year, we won't do it again. The crowds, while manageable, were dangerous. We ran into some tour groups that we actually causing harm to others, and also making situations very uncomfortable for other guests. For that reason alone, we've moved to the first week in February. We'll see if that makes any difference at all. We like the cooler temps of January-February, so if the crowds are a bit different in February, we'll make a new tradition!
    I cannot believe Disney would make it unsafe to go while the tours are there. We are going Jan 20-29 are you saying it is dangerous to go then and if so is that also a very crowded time?? We used to go in Dec first 2 weeks but it is packed then now , and very rude Americans thinking they are the only one in the parks. JMHO we are from US, just saying
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: