Quantcast Will a value disappoint?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Will a value disappoint?

We have been fortunate enough to travel to Disney for the past 7 years. We found out this past year that we are expecting another baby (not planned...we are 39 & 41). Anyhow we are surprising our boys (12 & 9) again this year with a trip in October. Thought they could meet their brother for the first time at the hospital and he can give them plane tickets stating that he "wants to go to that Magical Place that he's been hearing so much about."
    Here is my delemia. We have always been able to afford to stay in a Deluxe. With only a partially paid maternity leave and the new expense of day care I think the deluxe is out of the question. I am considering the new Art of Animation Resort, but don't want to be disappointed. Should I bite the bullet and pay for a deluxe again, or be sensible and try value?
    Your HONEST opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!

2012 Another SURPRISE
    2011 Contemporary/Beach Club
    2010 Surprise to AKL
    2009 Wilderness Lodge
    2008 Grand Floridian
    2005-2007 Off Property

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It really all depends on where you value your time, when on vacation.

I have personally ONLY stayed at values, and have never been disappointed. I AM only at my resort in early morning and late night, and maybe for a nap or 2. As long as there is a clean bed, a nice pool, and a place to get food, I am a happy camper. My money is going where it really counts to me - my tickets and DINING!

So it all depends on what you make it. If you need luxury and super convenient monorail access, do your deluxe. If it's not that big of a deal, and staying at a place like Holiday Inn isn't a nightmare to you, go value.

You could always compromise and go to a moderate. I hear Port Orleans is pretty great!
    Last edited by McLiberal8; 12-14-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question, you might be disappointed, yes. You might just be happy to be there and not be disappointed. We have stayed deluxe with the exception of one trip, the time we went for a moderate. The feel of the trip was so different for us. We had a great time and of course we were glad to be there. But it just did not feel like a Disney trip the way we're used to Disney trips.

We missed our great location and things we are used to with deluxe stays. We decided that we would rather wait longer between trips if we had to than to stay at a moderate again. Now, a lot of people will feel differently and I'm sure there will be people saying to go on and do it. But for us, it just wasn't the same. This doesn't mean it won't be for you, and with a new baby and two older kids, you might prefer saving the money. Your experience could be completely different than ours was, so I hate to even say that it wasn't the same, but you asked and I want to be honest.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Way back, we stayed in POR and CBR when they were the cheapies. When the values opened, we stayed there at ASMu,ASMo and Pop. Loved them all.
    Now we are DVC members and last trip was a 1 BR at BLT. Nice thing there was a kitchen. We had bfast in room, and made sandwiches to carry for lunch. Then we could afford to splurge for supper.
    No matter where we stayed on property, we have never been disappointed.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

So we are a relativly young family, so I am used to going on vacation with my parents who never skimp of hotels and always stay at the best. Now that I have my own family I can't exactly afford to stay at nice hotels all the time, but I never cared about staying at a Days Inn or Holiday Inn during out weekend outtings. But when It came to planning a 10 day trip to Disney where I am only used to the best, I was uneasy about a value. In my opinion Disney doesn't skimp on anything and everything has that magical Disney feel. So we decided to stay at Pop. We LOVED IT! The rooms were a little small, but they had everything we needed and we only were in them to sleep. So go for the Value and maybe it will allow you to stay a little longer or have a few nicer dinners, I am sure you won't be disappointed.
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

BelleBeauty Guest

I think you need to decide what it is that you like the most about the deluxe resorts and how your needs will be different with the new baby.

If you like to have a full service restaurant at your resort, like to have other transportation options than a bus, or like the kids club opportunities, etc. then you may be disappointed with the values.

In my opinion, for kids, a pool is a pool. They will be happy with the value pools even though they are no frills. If you just need to be able to grab drinks and coffee in the morning than the food courts will be more than enough. When we stay value we stay at Pop so that we don't have to deal with sharing buses with other resorts.

I've really only stayed in values and for our trip last month we upgraded to a value for the first time. I travel all the time for work and stay in wonderful resorts. So the moderate and value rooms to me do feel different from that. BUT I realized that staying at the moderate wasn't worth it for us at this time. We were not at the resort during the day and didn't eat at the hotel at all. The bigger size and multiple bus stops was actually a minus to me. We enjoyed the resort, but I think we could have saved have the nightly rate and been just as happy at a value. That being said, we think that when we do have small children we will want to have quick access to MK via boat or monorail so we can take breaks throughout the day.

Obviously this is a personal choice, hopefully my opinion helps you decide. Congratulations! I know whatever resort you are in you will have a wonderful time with your family.

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at Deluxe, Moderates and Values at different times and I just go in realizing that each one is on a different level and not compare them. I think of it like this I can enjoy a fast food lunch one day, next day could go to TGIF, and another day have lunch at a gournet restaurant and they all serve their purpose. If you are going to WDW to enjoy the time with your family in the parks I really don't think where you are staying really matters that much. If you go into the trip realizing that you are staying at a value and you don't expect it to be as good as a deluxe you should be fine.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say this but if you are used to Deluxe a value may disappoint you. We went to POP this past summer after staying at the WL for years.

We missed having a lobby to relax in. We missed sitting by the fireplace. We missed relaxing by the lake and just watching the boats go back and forth. We missed the nightly water parade. We missed the general feel of the Lodge.

POP was great, but it was not what we had gotten used to.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

I have not stayed at a moderate, but if you are concerned about the difference between the deluxe and the value then try something in between first. And supposedly some of the moderates are quite nice.
    Otherwise, my thoughts on the different places are this:
    I think there are 2 main factors besides cost and some of the other details that people prefer when choosing resorts. But the bottom line is, do what you want to do and stay where you can afford and make the best of it.
    1. I think where you stay on your first trip to Disney really has a big impact on your next trips, especially if you stay at a certain location on multiple trips. I think you have memories of that location and you compare every other Disney Resort to that location. Whether fairly or not. That place kind of becomes your Disney home if you stay there a lot, so sometimes switching to a different place, unless if you had a horrible experience at the original place, is hard for some people to do.
    2. I think choosing a resort depends on who is going on your trip and what kind of trip you are doing. If the resort is only a room to sleep in or if you don't care about all the unique details of a resort, then why pay for all the extras. But if you are going to WDW to also relax and/or for something different then I think the Deluxe resorts and possibly the Moderates are better for that. I do spend a lot of time in the parks, but I also like to get away from the crowds at the end of the day or at other times. When I have stayed at a deluxe, they were more relaxing to me. When I stayed at Pop I liked it, but there was more activity and it felt like I was still at the park with all the people. The deluxe felt more seperate and calming.
    Having said all that when I am at places other than Disney I am more of a moderate hotel person. I don't go for the expensive or the cheap hotels. But when I go to WDW, if I can afford it I like the more unique experience.
    June, 1990 - MK, Epcot -Off Site Hotel - Sang on stage & Marched in parade at MK
    Feb. '05 - DL, DCA - Off Site Hotel
    Feb. '07 - All Parks, DT - AKL
    May '08 - All Parks, DT - AKL & POP - 4 day Disney Cruise
    Jan. '13 DL, DCA, DT -Off Site Hotel
    Nov. '13 All Parks, DT - POP & Swan

Post Thanks / Like

This is kind of difficult to answer. From someone who started staying on the values level and is about to try their first stay at a Deluxe, I will say I've never been disappointed in any Disney hotel. We love the values. You will find it to be much smaller with fewer amenities but in my opinion they have a lot to offer.

However, if you are used to Deluxes you may be disappointed if you don't go in with realistic expectations. Like another poster said, if you spend very little time in the room and most of your time in the parks you should be fine.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at the the values and when DS was younger he really enjoyed them more than the deluxe and moderate resorts. I think they really are themed for younger children. He loved ASMo and Pop. He enjoyed the really large characters and he loved Andy's room at Pop. We have tons of pictures of him at the resort with the different characters.

If you go in expecting the same experience you would get in a deluxe than you might be disappointed.

I've found that no matter what resort we're in as long as I'm on Disney property I'm happy.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be fooled by the Art of Animation being a "value." Room rates are $320 per night. I myself won't stay at a value after having stayed at the Poly and WL. I would wait to book to see what specials they will have in October, but do keep an eye on the WL. It is a deluxe but doesn't have the deluxe rates!!! You are only allowed 4 in a room, but a newborn isn't included in the 4.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a hard question because disappointment is so subjective.
    The year we did this, with boys 9 and 14, we stayed at ASMusic and no one complained. We enjoyed our trip. But afterwards, my wife and i agreed that we would rather not go Value again. The pools were nice, the grounds manicured, the food court had plenty of choices. But the "vibe" of the place was just to hectic for our taste. It felt like we never left the hustle and bustle of the parks. There was really nothing concrete that we objected to. It just wasn't as relaxing and comfortable as we liked.
    Gotta say i did not feel that way about POFQ, the one Mod we have stayed in. I would not hesitate to stay there again. But the difference between Value and Deluxe is just too big for us.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the same. Will you enjoy it as much? Probably not. But, if you really want to go and this is the best way...

We've stayed at almost all the Deluxes and then of course DVC. There were a few trips we could swing but not with our DVC points (we'd used them up) or with the extra cost. Do we prefer Deluxe? Always when possible. However we have stayed at the values a few times and the mods and we weren't disappointed. Sure , it wasn't the same and sure we would have preferred not to, but it meant the difference between taking a trip and staying home.

Really, it's a personal decision for you. What is OK for some can be not so great for another. You have to consider will you be at the hotel alot, or just to sleep? Do you use alot of the amenities like pool, resort restaurants, or wil you be at the parks all day? If not , a value won't be too big of a deal. It's a place to crash and it's still Disney.

Also: Another option could be to shorten your trip...or to split your stay (though with an infant that could be a major hassle). just some ideas.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

If a value is what you can afford, a value is what you should do. Nothing feels worse than coming home from a vacaton and finding money tight! Although, if you have enough money to be flexible, a moderate could provide a nice compromise. They are renovating rooms at POR and putting in Queen beds - the rooms themselves are quite a bit larger than the values and the amenities are better . I'm wondering with the new baby if having a bit more space and comfort will be important - I assume you'll be spending more time at the resort than if you didn't have a little one.
    oh yeah, and congratulations! What a wonderful surprise :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Another option is to rent DVC points.

We started out at the values (All Star Movies) and loved it. Last year we tried CBR and POFQ. I would not hesitate to stay at POFQ again, Loved it.

In August we had our first deluxe DVC stays at OKW for one night. Had a studio and it was very large and roomy. We moved over to AKL Kidani and had a studio there too. Not as large at OKW, but very nice.

For our upcoming October trip, we will be staying most likely at Movies for 2 or 3 nights and then move on to a DVC room. My DD is 12 and really wants to stay at ASMO again,
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not compare the value resorts to Holiday Inn. I really enjoy the theming at POP. We ave stayed at moderates and deluxe. For the money, and getting to go every year verses every 3 years, I will stick with POP. We enjoy the deluxe's lobbies before or after a meal. At this point we aren't using the pools, if the teens want water they go to the water parks. Plus I love the buses at POP.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    if you have enough money to be flexible, a moderate could provide a nice compromise. They are renovating rooms at POR and putting in Queen beds - the rooms themselves are quite a bit larger than the values and the amenities are better . e :-)
    Are the rooms really that much larger? We were at Riverside last December and missed our room at POP. And the price was at least $50 more a night. We didn't have a choice where to stay because we were with a group. The last 2 nights we moved over to a value.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    It really all depends on where you value your time, when on vacation.

I have personally ONLY stayed at values, and have never been disappointed. I AM only at my resort in early morning and late night, and maybe for a nap or 2. As long as there is a clean bed, a nice pool, and a place to get food, I am a happy camper. My money is going where it really counts to me - my tickets and DINING!

So it all depends on what you make it. If you need luxury and super convenient monorail access, do your deluxe. If it's not that big of a deal, and staying at a place like Holiday Inn isn't a nightmare to you, go value.

You could always compromise and go to a moderate. I hear Port Orleans is pretty great!

My wife and I agree with this totally. Our POP Century experience was perfect. Clean rooms, nice pools with laundry at poolside. We threw in laundry then hopped in the pool. Saved time and was a cool refreshing break. And the location was fairly convenient since we like the studios.

Try the value resorts, they save you money, and allow you to spend money elsewhere. A hotel room is just for sleeping and bathing anyway, so we see no reason to spend major $$ at a Deluxe.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only share our one experience with Values.

We are a family of 6. Prior to having the 4th child we had only stayed in Deluxe resorts; even after we had her we stayed in connecting rooms at Deluxes, because my parents would stay in one room and help defray the cost. Our first trip with the 4th child sans grandparents meant we had to stay in a Value b/c we couldn't swing the cost of 2 Deluxe rooms on our own. We got 2 connecting rooms at AS Movies.

First of all, the rooms are much smaller. Even with 2 rooms we felt so cramped. The bathrooms are tiny. I've stayed at chain hotels that have larger bathrooms. We are the kind of people that like to return to the room to relax and nap, so we spend a good deal of time in the rooms. We just found the Value rooms to be so uncomfortable.

The pool at the Value was nice, and we were in a building very close to the food court & bus stop. If I had been any further away from the "hub" of the hotel, I would've been miserable. If you do stay at a Value, pay the little extra to be close to the food court/bus stop. You'll be glad you did.

Buses were a problem. AS Movies was the last Value resort on the bus pickup/dropoff. In the mornings this was difficult because every bus would be stuffed with people before it even got to AS Movies. It seemed that bus service to and from the Values was not on par with service from the Deluxes. Buses didn't come as frequently, were often full, and the bus stops seemed to be the furthest away at the parks. We really felt like we got what we paid for at Values.

One evening my husband and I got locked out of our room. The kids had thrown the hotel lock (that swinging arm lock) on one of our rooms and I had taken the key for that room and not the other room. We couldn't get into the room that didn't have the lock thrown. This was December and it was a little chilly. We had all been swimming. The kids only had towels around themselves. I was the only one wearing clothes, because I had not been swimming. I went to the front desk for help, but I was told that since my name wasn't on either reservation, I couldn't have a spare key. They called maintenance for me. We waited. Thirty minutes passed. No one came. We're all freezing, and my kids had to go to the bathroom. One ended up peeing onto a towel because he couldn't hold it. My husband went back to the front desk and demanded help. He was livid, but wasn't rude. They wouldn't give him a spare key either, because he had no ID on him. While he was gone maintenance finally showed. This took about an hour. We have had similar problems at Deluxes and gotten *MUCH* speedier service.

I will say one positive thing came out of our Value experience: we took the DVC tour on that trip and joined. We love Disney, but our one experience with a Value was enough.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream