Quantcast No Park Disney Trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Park Disney Trip

We are considering visiting Orlando from December 15-19. We will not be visiting any of the parks. Instead we have decided to focus on things we've never done. For example, when we've stayed on Disney property, we've only stayed at a value. We would like to visit some of the other resorts.

We also plan to spend time eating at a few resort restaurants we never get to visit on a "normal" visit. DTD and Citywalk are on the agenda as well as Cirque Soleil.

We plan on staying on International Drive so I assume there are things to do there as well.

So.... is this a bad idea? Is there enough to do without visiting the parks? What resorts should we visit for Christmas decorations or other unique things we should see? Any suggestions on things to do on International Drive?
    98 - All-Star Sports
    03 - All-Star Music
    04 - Offsite
    07 - Pop Century
    09 - All-Star Movies
    10 - All-Star Movies
    11 - Offsite
    12 - All-Star Music

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't think I could visit Disney World without also visiting a park(s)?? We've had trips where we've spent more time at our resort than at the parks but have never gone completely without park visits.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't not visit at least mk, or Epcot.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

To me going at Christmas is a dream of mine. I could not manage going to Disney and not seeing Epcot or DHS.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

I think it sounds very enjoyable and relaxing. Disney has so much to offer that I often think I need a 2nd week just to fully enjoy the resort and relax. If I wasn't going w/ kids, I would definitely consider doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great idea to me even though I am not sure I would be able to do it. I would have to go to MK at least. You could always do the miniature golfing, hayride, Hoop Dee Doo, etc.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done this twice. The only reason I didn't visit the parks is because of ticket restrictions. I did an early summer trip and a Christmas trip like you're planning.

The Grand Floridian is a must! They have the gingerbread house. All the resorts have wonderful decorations, but take a tour of the deluxes with their grand trees in the main lobbies.

I would also do a monorail ride through Epcot. This might be a tough call because it reinforces the fact you're not visiting the parks, but it will still enable you to see some park decorations.

I think it's a nice idea to take it all in at a slower pace. Enjoy!
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

There is definitely plenty to do. Our family did this two years ago and enjoyed it so much! We laid by the pool, went exploring other resorts, did miniature golf and just took our time and relaxed. The week seemed like it lasted forever without all the rushing that sometimes happens when your trying to ride ridea and see everything in the parks! Just take time and enjoy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I could do this too especially staying at a resort with a good pool. Make sure you allocate time for the Boardwalk area. There are 5 resorts to explore, lots of very good restaraunts, a couple of terrific desert places, bikes and boats to rent, a sports bar and several nice hotel lounges, easy walk to putt-putt. At night there are some street entertainers and you can see the fireworks part of Illuminations.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is plenty to do with resort hopping, DTD, and the Boardwalk. I just don't think I could be that close and not feel like I missed something without going in at least one park.
    I have been to Orlando a couple of times recently and did not go to WDW. Just knowing I was in Orlando but couldn't go to WDW and at least see the castle almost physically hurt.
    I do hope you have a wonderful time. Give us a trip report!

Julie
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I could be that close to the parks and not visit. I hope you have a great relaxing trip

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a bad idea if you're happy with whatever you're doing and how you're spending your time.

One trip we spent 3 nights at the Poly, after a week at OKW. The only park we went into was MK one morning, and only half of our group went there. The rest of the time we checked out the resort, ate at resort restaurants, etc. Relaxed. Explored.

One trip to Florida years ago we toured down the west side, to Key West, and up the east side, spending at least a week, and never even missed WDW. But we had an exclusive Disney trip planned for six months later.

Another trip my niece was pregnant and was bummed that she'd miss some of the rides. She and my sister spent one day touring the deluxe resorts (especially the shops ) and had a great time.

You might never want to do a trip like this again, but I bet you see some interesting things and make some great memories.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I could never have that kind of willpower. I'm impressed.

You should go to the Grand Floridian for sure...it's amazing! I also really love downtown Disney. The music, some hot chocolate and a trip to the Christmas store would be a great non park day!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Just finished booking the trip today.

We have decided to do MVMCP. My 72 year old mother will be with us. She is an Xmas nut so I don't see how we can miss this. Hope the early 4pm entry time is still happening.

slottedpig mentioned there are a couple desert places in the Boardwalk area. I know of Beaches and Cream. What are the others?
    98 - All-Star Sports
    03 - All-Star Music
    04 - Offsite
    07 - Pop Century
    09 - All-Star Movies
    10 - All-Star Movies
    11 - Offsite
    12 - All-Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

I like The Fountain at the Dolphin. Seashore Sweets at the Boardwalk has good ice cream as well.

Post Thanks / Like

My boyfriend and I have talked about doing this at some point. We were there two summers ago and stayed at the AKL and fell in love with the hotel and felt like we'd enjoy a short trip staying there and really spending time at the hotel, downtown disney and resort hopping to check other resorts out. By the time we're going to be able to get there again it'll have been too long sicne we've had a park trip, so I don't think it'll be our next trip, but someday!

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget:

1) Ft. Wilderness: Horseback riding, guided bass-fishing excursions, petting zoo, and Hoop-de-Doo.

2) Four miniature-golf courses and. two water parks.

3) Richard Petty Driving Experience.

4) Four (I think) PGA-caliber golf courses.

5) Several dozen world-class restaurants at the resorts and Downtown Disney.

6) AMC 24 (movie theaters), DisneyQuest, and Cirque du Soleil (which was already mentioned).

PLENTY more to see and do along International Drive: WonderWorks, a couple of comedy and dinner shows (I've always wanted to do the Pirates one ), Mercado, Festival Bay, outlet mall(s), go-kart tracks (Magical Midway), and more
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: