Quantcast Soarin' while Pregnant?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soarin' while Pregnant?

We will be leaving for WDW in 2 days. I just returned home from an OB visit (I'm 17 wks) and specifically asked her about riding Soarin' because I've read so many differing opinions. While I will be avoiding all of the jarring rides, I didn't think Soarin' was enough of a dangerous ride to avoid. I'm not sure how much she knows about the ride specifically, but she told me not to ride it considering it makes you feel like you're flying. My response was that it wasn't like Star Tours where you lose your sense of gravity or like ToT where you have a falling sensation, so she said she was going to have to look it up and find out. Her explanation was that any sense of falling or flying will pull at the arteries and nerve endings surrounding the placenta.

Can anyone who is very informed about the pregnancy warnings explain if this is the reason that Soarin' is on the black list for pregnant women?

Thanks for your help!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode Soarin' during both pregnancies (around 25 weeks each time) without issue. My OB is a huge Disney fan too (he was at WDW the week before ODS was born)! Before my trip when I was pregnancy with ODS, he was able to talk to me about each ride and the risks involved and he actually knew what the rides were like. He had no concerns with Soarin. I don't think there is a pregnancy warning for Soarin anyway.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

There is no pregnancy warning for Soarin'. The only warnings are for those who have a fear of heights or are prone to motion sickness.

You do not feel like you're falling; there is no dropping or sudden up or down movements. The first lift is a soft glide up, no worse than if you're driving over a hilltop.

Your OB/GYN was advising you from an abundance of caution, based on the information you gave her, and it sounds like she heard the word "falling" and knew that most amusement park rides that give you that sensation are not safe for a pregnancy. But the "sense" of flying you get from Soarin' is primarily from watching the huge movie in front of you, coupled with movement in the actual ride. Your brain is telling you there's much more movement than there actually is.

My father, who is blind, has ridden Soarin' and has a completely different experience than someone with vision. He still enjoys the movement and the music, but it's much less like flying to him.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I rode soarin while pregnant as well. I was 22 weeks and had no issues.
    I had asked my OB about all rides because I wanted to make sure since I had a low lying placenta & she said that Soarin was fine. I even rode the Safari too.

I can't think of anything on Soarin that would be bad, unless you're having some morning sickness.
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

My wife rode both Soarin' and the Safari with our second pregnancy, I can't see any reason it would be a problem.

Heck, IMO, Pirates has a bigger drop than Soarin'.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

I had severe morning sickness my whole pregnancy, and I rode Soarin' several times at 24 weeks and had no issues.

I was super cautious about everything being pregnant and avoided every.single.thing you are "suppose" to avoid and I had zero concerns riding this ride.
    84 - FW
    94 - Off Site
    95 - ASMu
    96 - Off Site
    08 - POFQ
    2/09 - Coronado
    7/09 - AS Sports
    9/09 - POP
    12/09- One day for Christmas
    4/10 - POFQ
    7/10 - Offsite
    3/11 - AS Sports
    5/14 - Coronado
    7/15 - AS Sports
    7/17 - Coronado

Post Thanks / Like

This was a slam dunk for my wife who was pregnant on our last trip. She was mad about everything else, but she could ride Soarin'
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Soarin' is no worse than sitting on a porch swing.

It doesn't have a pregnancy warning. You will be fine. Just be sure to secure the safety belt under your belly.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I did read that there is a caution against riding Soarin' for expectant mothers, but that must be outdated. It is one of my favorite rides, so although I'm sacrificing Splash Mountain this trip, at least I can have Soarin'! I just can't wait to be there, away from responsibility and immersed in magic.

1 day, 6 hours, 55 minutes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsysmak View Post
    Thanks for the input. I did read that there is a caution against riding Soarin' for expectant mothers, but that must be outdated. It is one of my favorite rides, so although I'm sacrificing Splash Mountain this trip, at least I can have Soarin'! I just can't wait to be there, away from responsibility and immersed in magic.

1 day, 6 hours, 55 minutes!
    Honestly, I think every ride that has a safety bar or seatbelt will have some sort of pregnancy caution. However, in the case of Soarin, the seatbelt is there just to prevent people from falling off the seat, and it's just a lap belt. As long as you make sure it's low enough on your hips, you'll be okay. I rode this ride while pregnant a few times.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

As a non-pregnant male, I cannot see a reason you cannot get on Soarin. It does not bounce, or jar you, nor does it go fast in anyway shape or form.

If my wife were pregnant, I would have no issue with her riding it.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife had no issues while pregnant... If you ride KS my only suggestion is wait for a front row seat... Much less bouncing
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I rode Soarin' at about 20 weeks and had no issues.

Basically, Soarin' is half a ferris wheel, but there's nothing under your feet. You go up the ferris wheel and then watch the movie (with a little bit of gingerly swaying to mimic flight), then you come back down the way you came instead of completing the circle. If you explain it to her that way, maybe she'll be OK with it.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I was extremely cautious during my pregnancies and I would not think twice about Soarin. There is no jarring movement at all besides the swoop (that's best way I know how to describe it) up. Equating it to a ferris wheel motion is pretty accurate but you only go up once and down once.
    Heidi (DS16, DD14 and the reluctant DH)
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

You go over more bumps and take on more speed in a car driving in a residential neighbourhood at home. Soarin' is fine for pregnancy.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I rode Soarin' about 7 times in a row while I was 30 weeks pregnant and the worst part was the walk to get to the ride and back.
    8/97, 6/00--Fort Wilderness Campground
    7/02--Disneyland
    6/04, 6/07--WDW Offsite
    12/05, 9/08(Honeymoon)--Pop Century
    2/09, 7/10--Saratoga Springs
    9/09, 9/10--Animal Kingdom Lodge
    9/09, 7/10--Old Key West
    10/10, 12/10--Hilton Head Island Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I am an actual glider pilot, and I flew up until the birth of all 3 of my children with no problems, and no advice against it from the medical profession. I cant see Soarin as being any sort of problem, as a previous poster said, you get more bumped about driving a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Preggers

Riding the Soarin' attraction at EPCOT at EPCOT while pregnant would be a fine idea.

Hang gliding over a volcano during a thunderstorm? Maybe not.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: