Quantcast Disneyland vs. Disney World

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland vs. Disney World

This question is for those that have been to BOTH Disneyland and Disney World. We have only been to Disney World - several times. I have heard from many people at Disney World that they think Disney World is better. However, we just watched the vacation planning video for Disneyland because we are curious about it. We know it would cost a lot more to get there than to Florida for us - but we were wondering if it would be worth it. Disneyland looked really nice on the video. Can anyone give me some pros/cons or things they like at Disneyland or at Disney World? Any opinions would be very much appreciated!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As a Disneyland passholder, we do everything in reverse. Disneyland is our home park. WDW is our vacation destination.

Disneyland is Walt's original. It is smaller and easier to get around. You do not need a bus to go from one park to the other. Just a short walk across the esplanade and you are there.

Even the attractions that are at both parks are a little different. There are some attractions that WDW does not have.... The Matterhorn Bobsleds, Indiana Jones Adventure (not a show), Rodger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Pinocchio's Daring Adventure, Nemo submarines. I am sure I left something out. That is just at Disneyland. DCA is going to be a whole new park.

At DCA there is the World of Color show. The Little Mermaid just opened up this past summer. The Aladdin Musical show... that is not to be missed.

There are other areas in So. Cal to explore as well. The beaches, Hollywood etc. San Diego is about 1.5 hours away from the Anaheim area.

You won't need to plan as much for Disneyland like you do at WDW. You can be more spontaneous there. I can walk up to most any place with out an ADR and get seated. There are a few place where you will need an ADR. Those are for The Blue Bayou (currently closed for refurb) which is inside PoC. Goofy's Kitchen is another since it is a popular character breakfast or dinner.

We love WDW and all the resort has to offer, but we LOVE how we feel at home at Disneyland. Disneyland is a land, surrounded by local business, hotels, etc. WDW is a world in it's self. Less outside local business etc. You are more in the Disney bubble at WDW.

When DCA is done with the refurb it will be amazing. I can't wait for Carsland to open up.
    Everything is really coming together now, even with all the work that is being done.

Hope you will give Disneyland a try. It will be a whole new experience.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

In short, yes, it is definitely worth a visit. I love Disneyland. I grew up with Disney World, and thought Disneyland was "lame" the first few times I visited it. Then, I moved to So. California. Disneyland became my "home" park in 2001. It's now my favorite of the U.S. Disney parks. It's amazing, if you have an open mind and experience it for what it is, and don't compare it to WDW.

In long, refer to Marci's post above.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for your replies! I am really excited to give Disneyland a try next year! It's going to cost quite a bit more for us, but I'd like to try it at least once. Other questions I have:

1) I'm used to magical express from MCO - is there similar transportation at Disneyland AND what are my options for airports to fly into? Anyone from NE OH or central OH have any airline secrets for some inexpensive airfare? I know it'll be more expensive than what I'm used to paying (just booked $600 airfare for 4 on southwest out of Columbus - very excited about that!)

2) WDW runs so many discounts and I'm pretty used to what is typical for them to offer during the time of year we go (usually Thanksgiving weekend and stay through the week after). Anyone have any thoughts on the discounts at Disneyland? I know you can never "count on" anything from Disney, but would be nice to know what they have offered in the past. I am having trouble finding a lot of info on Disneyland - there are many websites for WDW info that I have found.

Thanks again for any info - I'm really excited to try something "new" next year!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney does have a bus from either LAX and SNA, not sure about Long Beach. There is a charge for that bus service. It is called the Disneyland Resort Express. You can also use Prime Time or Supershuttle vans, but they are much more expensive.

As for discounts and such, I would contact Magical Journeys. They planned a couple of my WDW trips and they were wonderful.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been to the land, but will probably go in 2012 because I have a conference at the Marriott near there. I'm looking forward to experiencing attractions that we don't have at WDW, and also comparing the attractions. The Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Pirates- different experiences between the WDW and DLR versions, from what I have read. Should be fun!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland is worth a trip, at least once. We love Pirates ride at Disneyland better than WDW. The Indiana Jones ride is awesome at Disneyland.

It's where all the magic began and worth the trip

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I"m not sure I'd do it if it is going to cost more! I'm at the opposite end of the country and for us Disneyland is much less expensive, so we've been there and enjoyed it in its own way, but Disney World is our choice by far (except that it is so expensive, LOL). Pros of Disney World -everything is on property, there are lovely, themed resorts, I'm a big fan of the dining plan, and there are FOUR parks and dozens of restaurants. At Disneyland, Disneyland Park is very good, probably a little better than the Magic Kingdom, and California Adventure is okay, but you wouldn't like do more than one day there. It is a long haul in from Los Angeles and the trip costs money (no Magical Express), there is no such thing as a dining plan, and the theming of the Disney hotels is nice, but nothing fantastic. I found the Disney restaurants were much more expensive, as well! Now, and advantage for some is that you're right IN Anaheim and can easily stay in an off site hotel within easy walking distance (but I prefer feeling immersed in everythign Disney). We also liked the compact layout in one way - we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and "Downtown Disney" is LITERALLY on your door step, with both parks down the end of it. It's easy enough to walk to the park - stroll home at mid-day (stopping for an ice cream as Haagen Daz, of course ;-) for a dip in the pool, and then walk back to one of the parks. After dark, Dowtown Disney is quite lovely, and I was comfortable letting my teenagers walk around on their own. We liked the hotel although the room we stayed in was a little run down - enjoyed having breakfast early out by the pool area before many others were up....but overall, I really, really love the "World".

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in SoCal and have been to DL many times. I still live in California and always look to go to DW rather than take a 7 hour drive to DL. To me, DL is just a 1-2 day adventure. After 2 days, DL just seems too repetitive. At DW, you have 4+ parks to go to and once you get tired of one type, you have 3 others to partake in.

There are attractions at DL you won't find at DW that are "must do's", especially Indiana Jones. But to me, its not worth it especially for a week long trip. A trip for 3 or 4 days might be worth it. I think everyone should try DL, but I think you'll find that DW has much more to offer.

Also, don't forget to include Ontario Airport as a possible destination airport. It's much easier to fly in and out of and not much further on the commute. You might find deals flying into Ontario.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland is certainly worth a visit. It's different than Disney World - much more compact, cozier and more intimate. If you stay on site, everything is within walking distance from your resort.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I love Disneyland. I think it's definitely worth a visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Chase View Post
    Thank you so much for your replies! I am really excited to give Disneyland a try next year!
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. Nothing quite like a trip to Walt's park. Yes, I live right next door to WDW now, but before when I didn't, I'd taken a trip to Disneyland over WDW any day. I love it! So many different things to experience, but like someone cautioned before, don't compare.

On a side note, I always love reading the responses when this topic comes up.

Post Thanks / Like

We love both!
    If I had to pick just between The Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland I would pick Disneyland. However, the thing I really miss at Disneyland Resort compared to WDW is Epcot - I love Epcot.

Also, the "World of Color" Show at California Adventure is worth the trip by itself. Don't miss it!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I love Disneyland and consider it my home park. I've been to WDW twice, however it's so big, that sometimes it's just overwhelming. Disneyland is small, it's easy to navigate and it's really easy to jump between the two parks.

Disneyland doesn't have a dining plan, however there are really not a huge number of sit down restaurants like WDW has.

One of the best things about DL is that you don't have to stay on property to still be in walking distance. Don't get me wrong, I love staying at a Disney property, but when the DLH is running upwards of $400 a night, and you can get an offsite hotel that's actually closer to the park enterance for less than $150, that's a real bonus. The only downside is that if you're staying offsite you won't be able to make use of the magic morning hour offered on some days. Some park hopper passes that you purchase before hand will include one magic morning day, but not all. Just something to keep in mind.

You can do DL and DCA WELL in three days. I often drive down to Anaheim after work on Friday, spend all day Saturday and half of Sunday there before driving back and never feel like I missed anything.

In June of 2012 DCA will be opening up Carsland which will really increase the draw to that park. Honestly right now DCA only has a few things that I do regularly, and I think a lot of people feel that way. If you're going to plan a trip wait until the construction is done so you can enjoy that as well. It's looking fabulous!
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney World is far better. 4 parks vs. 2, Enormous in size. Better hotels, more restaurants. And almost everything that is in Disneyland is in Disney World except for a few attractions. The World of Color is really exceptional...but I have a feeling the technology will makes its way to disneyworld someday in some kind of show.
    Disneyland is better than the magic kingdom. It's bigger, has Matterhorn and the Indiana Jones Ride. The Haunted Mansion is better, and so is Pirates. Splash and Thunder Mountain are just about the same. they have the old submarines still but themed with nemo unfortunately. California Adventure is cool, but it is really lacking in theming.
    DisneyLand seems to be a Friday or Saturday night destination. You'll see a lot of teenagers as opposed to families with strollers like you do in DW. The parks were not kept as immaculately clean as they are in DW. the Cast Members are not quite as HAPPY and polite as in DW either I noticed. The Grand Californian is almost identical to the Wilderness Lodge. If you go, you have to stay there and you must go to Napa Rose.
    I would say if you've never been, I would check it out, but if its going to break the bank to get there its not worth it. Its cool that everything is walking distance, but makes the monorail pointless. Its definitely not more than a 2 day trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mogie View Post
    DisneyLand seems to be a Friday or Saturday night destination. You'll see a lot of teenagers as opposed to families with strollers like you do in DW. The parks were not kept as immaculately clean as they are in DW. the Cast Members are not quite as HAPPY and polite as in DW either I noticed.
    While it is busier on the weekends. I am there most Saturdays and have to dodge the strollers and families. They are out in abundance.

I find the CM's very friendly and helpful. I find the CM's at both WDW and Disneyland very nice, for the most part. There can be a bad apple at either coast. I also see custodial out enforce doing thier duties. I feel the park is very clean. I always see a CM in the ladies room attending to the needs of that area, stalls and wet sinks etc.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been to Disneyland once, and I enjoyed the different rides (my fav is Alice in Wonderland).

We found it to be more of a "local" park than a tourist destination. There were hordes of local teens just hanging out, and we had a very unpleasant experience with them on the monorail. We lined up for the front car and when we boarded, about a dozen kids piled in after us, shoving and pushing us while they sat on the floor of the car.

I think I would like to go back again and see what changes have been made. It's certainly worth a look. .
    Last edited by NotaGeek; 10-19-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: edited per TOS
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Note!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    Disney does have a bus from either LAX and SNA, not sure about Long Beach. There is a charge for that bus service. It is called the Disneyland Resort Express. You can also use Prime Time or Supershuttle vans, but they are much more expensive.
    The bus service form LAX and SNA is not a Disney owned company. It is run by Gray Line Tours. From what I can tell, it is themed similarly to DME, but YOU pay for it vice it being a contracted service from WDW Vacation Planning. It is called the Disneyland Resort Express, or Disneyland Express.

I will give a review of it in my trip report when we visit in February.

I booked my lodging directly and then purchased the tickets from the DL website. I saved over $300 doing it that way. If you like one-stop shopping, check out Costco. They book through DL Vacations, so you'll be in their computers if you like receiving PIN codes for future travel. They will charge about the same as what you can book directly online, but they offer perks not in the DL site packages.
    Last edited by tinkwest; 11-08-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: edited per TOS

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: