Quantcast Food And Wine opening, Sept-Oct 2011

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Food And Wine opening, Sept-Oct 2011

Two annual pass adults, no kids, budget of $6,000 plus a couple hundred in credit card rewards. Total came to about $4,000 including shopping and airfare.

We'd gotten a 40% off pin code, so we took advantage of that to stay at the Grand Floridian, with a theme park view.

Our travel agent originally booked us in the wrong class of room, and we had lagoon view, which was lovely, but no where near as good as the theme park view that the GF was kind enough to move us to. The theme park view was a larger room with a kind sized bed... and the view... I can't describe a better sight than waking up in the morning to the sun rising on to the castle and Space Mountain, with the Contemporary and Bay Lake towers glowing in the distance.

Day 1: arrive in the early afternoon, drop the bags at the hotel and head to the MK. Casey's for lunch, and hit the rides until dinner at the Hoop-Dee-Doo revue. The HDD is a lot of fun... VERY interactive, good food, but maybe not the thing for two adults; we were the only table in the place that was just two people. We got the category 1 table 15, which was close to the stage, but a slightly obstructed view for my wife... it didn't matter to her enjoyment of the show. Funny script, very well performed, but so noisy in the space that some of the bits were lost in the commotion. We probably won't see HDD again, but we're glad we did.

Day 2: Short day in the Magic Kingdom, then back to the hotel for tea. Excellent as always, then back to the MK. I think the new cemetery queue area for the Haunted Mansion was much needed, and much appreciated. We could argue the story elements, but the Haunted Mansion in DIsneyland had that little extra something in their queue that was missing. The cemetery raises the bar.

Day 3: Wild Africa Trek. Very small, intimate group of 12 guests and 2 guides, you get close, unobstructed views of hippos and croc's, then snacks from the Tusker House at a safari camp. The safari camp is the real reason to go... dining out in the African savanna on the AK, it's quiet, it's peaceful... fantastic. The tour is 3 hours, and it sort of burnt us out for the rest of the Africa area, so we caught flights of wonder, the Maharaja jungle, and called it a day.
    Dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe. Let me say this about the Cafe; we weren't on the dining plan, but I think this is THE BEST VALUE for a one table-service credit restaurant anywhere on property. Very good food, excellent service, plenty of tables (we did it as a walk-up). Maybe a little expensive if you're paying cash, but on the dining plan, it's a no brainer.

Day 4: Met a friend at DHS... crowd levels were low, so everything except Toy Story Mania was a short wait. The refreshed Star Tours make me a little motion sick, but WHAT A RIDE. REALLY pretty, and the various scenes that we was were run. The ending on Naboo... the 3D effect really worked there.
    Drove over to Epcot for dinner at Le Cellier, which we were excited about because we hadn't been there since it was changed to signature dining. Did not disappoint... my New York Strip was fantastic, as was my wife's Filet. Highly recommended.

Day 5: October 1st, 2011... originally marked at a crowd level 4, the MK closed for capacity in the morning because of all the people there to gobble up the 40th Anniversary merch'. Luckily, we went to Epcot for some Food 'n Wine goodness, and it was. Lunch ended up being in Tokyo Dining, which was VERY good. We were hoping that it'd be more of a secret, quiet lunch overlooking the World Showcase, but the place was pretty well packed. Rightly so, service and food were great. Highly recommended.

Day 6: Started the day at a Sweet Sunday's event for Food 'n Wine. Featured a high-end breakfast buffet (quiche, fritatta, sparkling wines...) and dessert cooking demonstrations by John Hui, which of course we got to eat, and OH MAN, did we get to eat. I REALLY recommend this. Leave the kids, spend the money, and enjoy.
    Then we hit up the rest of Food and Wine, the Korean lettuce wraps were memorable.

Day 7: Make-up day in the MK, finally got on Peter Pan's Flight (twice), just relaxed and savored the park. Dinner at California Grill. Superb. The last time we'd been there (~2005), the food was flat. Not this time... fork-tender pork tenderloin, amazing mushrooms on fresh fettuccine... SO good.

The great:
    The Grand Floridian staff. Stepped off the Magical Express bus, and were greeted immediately by a CM, who led us in to the check-in desk. Sounds like a small thing, and it was, but it's the small things that make a big deal.

Grand Floridian building 5, on the endcap facing the magic kingdom. Yes, yes, yes.
    Garden View tea, Le Cellier, Tokyo Dining, Cali Grill... yes, yes, yes, YES. Table service dining was all around great, and these were exceptional.

Meeting Mickey and Minnie as a walk-up with a crowd level of 2. The dressing room area they have has a lot of fun bits in it, too.

The good:
    Neutrogena Ultimate Sport sunblock spray. Easy to put on, stayed on all day, and no burning at all in a few days of blazing sun. Expensive for sunscreen (~$10 can), expect to use about a can per week per person.

The weather. Late Sept, early Oct is often cooler than it was, but it got down in to the low 80s by the end.

The bad:
    My travel agent. I didn't ask much: get me a hotel room, and get my ADRs set up. She did fine on the ADR, but blowing the hotel room... disappointing. Note to agents, this is the kind of thing that makes me go elsewhere.

Bus service from the Grand. There was a CM there tracking when a bus showed up, and for which route. There were 2x as many Animal Kingdom / Blizzard Beach busses than DHS; not just a perception, he had them logged. It got to be a joke, despite him pleading on the radio with dispatch to please send an DHS bus.

Travel from the Grand in general wasn't great unless you were going to the Magic Kingdom. Going to Epcot is 3 stops and a transfer on the monorail, with no option for a bus. The Poly remains the king for transportation if you walk to the TTC.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely getaway! Full of wonderful food, fun times in the parks, and a great place to stay!

It's pretty funny to think of the Magic Kingdom reaching capacity on an early October day!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the trip report! Done so quickly after your trip too!

I can only hope to get my trip report typed up that timely.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Great report.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful getaway with lots of delightful dining options and an incredible view each morning. Thanks for sharing!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I love afternoon tea at the GF. It's such a delightful splurge.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food And Wine opening, Sept-Oct 2011

Nice trip! Wow - adults only...my kids are older and are still tagging along with us. Sounds like you had great park time, wonderful dining and a view to remember. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a photo of the view from the Grand, but it doesn't really do it justice:

http://i.imgur.com/DsHyc.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Sounds like a great trip. I have never stayed at
    the GF. What a treat!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a dream trip accomodations and dining were superb

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century