Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HackLaSalle View Post
    Wow. If this went to Universal... What would everyone say then? Disney lost out on a multi billion dollar property and IOA gets bigger and cooler?
    Ding Ding Ding!! Many of the same people who are killing this move would be killing WDW for doing nothing and being cheap if Universal got this attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by valjane View Post
    If I were in charge and wanted to compete with Harry Potter, I'd tear down the backlot tour at the Studios and build a Star Wars "land."
    ???! This is at least the second reference to this that I've seen on this thread. Why does this preclude a Star Wars/Lucas themed land? Disney been doing a lot of building lately. I don't understand the whole point of it.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Can't say I saw this one coming. I'm one of the never-saw-the-movie people. I had planned to, but didn't have enough interest to follow through. DH saw it and said it was ok - and he's a sci-fi geek. I'll plan on making the effort to watch it if it's going to become a whole land.

We love AK! We easily spend a couple days there on each trip. We love the atmosphere of the lands and like to just soak it in at a slow pace. While I think a sci-fi movie seems like a weird fit, the environmental message certainly isn't. It's a message that Disney does really well in AK.

Anyway! I'll reserve judgement until I actually have something to visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Attention John and the Podcast crew.....I think we need to push up the schedule for episode 23....just saying.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot19 View Post
    Attention John and the Podcast crew.....I think we need to push up the schedule for episode 23....just saying.
    Taping this evening. It was planned already, and we were wondering yesterday morning what we'd discuss on this slow news week.

Post Thanks / Like

See, I think if Universal got this, I'd be thinking "Well, that makes sense...it fits at that park."

I think what is bothering ME so much about this announcement is that they chose AK for its location. It just doesn't fit, no matter how much you try to justify it. Honestly, if they had put it over at DHS, I would feel differently about it. It's a matter of fit.

Mythical creatures are one thing. I studied Myths and Legends at length in college. INVENTED human-like alien beings from an INVENTED planet are quite another. Myths, and Mythical creatures have cultural history and significance. They exist to explain away nature and natural phenomenon. The Greek and Roman gods are mythical beings. The Yeti, for instance, is a mythical creature with a history going back thousands of years. Same with the Loch Ness Monster, etc. I'd have NO issue with Disney deciding they want to build a land based on mythical creatures/beings, and going for it. They could take their pick. I've got a nice thick book I can lend them for inspiration. However, tying this land into Animal Kingdom on the premise of "mythical creatures" is just too far a reach for me.

This is a Hollywood film. Perhaps a good one, maybe a great one. However, box office numbers alone should not be enough for a company such as Disney to decide that they are going to dedicate entire lands to this one franchise. Those box office numbers were probably so high because it costs an arm and a leg to see a movie in 3-D.

I am not belittling James Cameron. I think he is an amazing talent. I know he is meticulous about details, sparing no expense, etc. I get that, and my guess is that he's probably going to end up putting in a lot of his own money to make sure this gets done right. However, when you are trying to recreate a land that is ENTIRELY digitally created, there is just no way it can end up looking as good in real life. If that were the case, Mr. Cameron would have found a place on Earth, taken his cameras there, and filmed. Nature is breathtaking. Man made "nature" never comes close enough to being as beautiful. I have a feeling that, at the end of the day, this land might offer some unique rides/attractions, but there is just no way you can recreate a digital environment with enough accuracy to make people think they are in the movie.

And, for what it's worth, just because something is popular "worldwide" does not mean that it will be popular in Orlando, FL. If that were the case, we'd have a Hello Kitty or Pokemon land at Disneyworld too. The bulk of the world's population lives in Asia. Let Shanghai Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Tokyo Disneyland have this one. They will appreciate it a lot more.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Taping this evening. It was planned already, and we were wondering yesterday morning what we'd discuss on this slow news week.

That should be an interesting discussion.

I am going to withhold judgement until I see what they have planned. I have seen the movie and my first instinct was "Huh, what are they thinking". The plot wan't great and yes, it was a hit you over the head message movie.

But as I think about it, the world of Pandora was visually stunning and has lots of possibilities for rides that do not need to convey the movies message or plot.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

So, wait...

They are going to clear out a ton of land and chop down hundreds of trees....to build a land about preserving the environment...

Way to go, Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

In general, I agree with the fact that there are other upgrades/additions to the parks that I would enjoy more...but any major add is a plus, especially in partnership with such imaginative people.

But several "common knowledge" themes prevail, and I don't understand...Universal still plays a distant second as the "prime destination" in Orlando. UA and IOA had a growth year in 2010...back up to their numbers of 2005...and after a major drop off in 2009. Their total attendance is still less than 25% of Disney total..about where they were in 2005...and each park's attendance is significantly less than even "the WDW parks that nobody goes to"...

On an average day, AK and DHS each have 90 % of the attendance at EPCOT, and about 50 % more people than either Universal park, about the same precentages over the last 5 years....guess all the "nobodies" are going there.

AK obviously has the most room to grow...and the West Way now makes expansion in that direction more attractive. The combined attendance at DHS and EPCOT, plus the multiple resorts in that area, make targeted growth at those parks problematic (although solvable).
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ValenciaCalling View Post
    So, wait...

They are going to clear out a ton of land and chop down hundreds of trees....to build a land about preserving the environment...

Way to go, Disney.
    You know, this is so true. Although, to be fair, the entire AK park is "environmentalist preachy" and it's the same thing. Clear out nature to fabricate "nature". But using recycled plastic park benches makes it all okay.

That's actually one aspect of AK that I find unappealing. A big corporation like Disney has no right to be preaching about conservation, environmentality, etc. Just look at how much food gets thrown away on their "dining plan". Talk about waste...

But that's another topic entirely.
    Natalie

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

AK is based on the all the animals that ever existed, or never existed on Earth. Now they are adding a alien planet? I enjoyed Avatar, I just think it would have been a better fit at the Studios.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Can't wait...
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

So, wait...

Way to go, Disney.
    This is one of the best points I have read!

That being said....

Cameron = Terminator, Titanic, and Avatar. He is a creative force. The Disney Imagineers, their creativity has had no equal for decades. I say let's see what they come up with.

An earlier post talked about Avatar's digital world may not be able to be reproduced for a theme park audience. These types of challenges is where creativity and technology best shine. Even if we hate Avatar's final product what innovations created by its building may work to enhance the Disney we have now and future Disney projects.

I will hold judgement until I see more about Disney's Avatar.
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

I loved Avatar in 3D at the theatre. My DH and I loved the movie. We have it at home and just watched it 2 weeks ago. I often wondered who was going to pick this movie up and make a park out of it.

And now we know.

I'm not going to get into the debate of political propoganda cleverly hidden. I'm not going to debate the appropriatness of the violence/adult content, etc. Many things in many movies are inappropriate to my conservative parenting. I do not think that Disney will "adult-ize" Pandorland. I think the happiest pieces of Pandora will materialize before us.

I can see walking through a land where the ground glows where you step, trees with long weeping branches that whisper to you as you touch them, where the vegitation shrinks in an instant the second you touch it. Maybe "native" Navi people walk around us 12 feet tall and blue. A neon world at night..... Not violence and destruction and death.

Honestly, being a fan of the movie, I'm am VERY THANKFUL that Disney put claim on it. If anyone would do the movie justice, it would be Disney. I don't know if I'd ever have a trip down to FL w/o going to WDW. If Avatarland was anywhere else, I may never see it.

I'm also a huge Harry Potter fan. I read the books over and over. I have movie marathons. My family laughs at me. But, I still have not made it to Potterland. My love affair with Disney is too strong for me to stray for even 1 day and "cheat" on my beloved WDW. The same would have been for Avatar. While I love the movie and love the idea of a land to immerse me into Pandora, I'd probably never go if it were outside my mickey gates.

I'm excited to see what happens. I'm sure all the Disney spys are reading posts like ours all over and know that they have the highest of expectations for this. They better come up with something better than "NATAZU"....

PLEASE GET IT RIGHT DISNEY! DON'T HAVE ME DEFEND YOU AND THEN LET ME DOWN!
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

With J Cameron on the inside, I wonder if this opens the door for a "Titanic Land" in DHS, maybe where the Back Lot Tour is now!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer_and_Chris View Post

I'm also a huge Harry Potter fan. I read the books over and over. I have movie marathons. My family laughs at me. But, I still have not made it to Potterland. My love affair with Disney is too strong for me to stray for even 1 day and "cheat" on my beloved WDW. The same would have been for Avatar. While I love the movie and love the idea of a land to immerse me into Pandora, I'd probably never go if it were outside my mickey gates.
    Okay, just out of sheer curiosity, can you explain this mentality to me? I have a hard time understanding why you would deny yourself something that is SO enjoyable to you simply on the basis that it's NOT Disney. I also am a big Harry Potter Fan. I am dying to go to Wizarding World, but knowing that they are going to expand it, I'm waiting until it's DONE so I can fully enjoy it, because I don't get to Universal very often.

You are really missing out if you choose to live your life strictly in the Disney bubble...why would you want to limit your experiences like that?

I'm sure there are also people out there that are quite "anti Disney". But, perhaps, they are full on AVATAR junkies. I would hate to think that someone like that (or a lot of someones) would choose not to visit the new land solely on the basis of the company providing the experince.

I might not like the idea of AVATAR in Disney parks, but I would never hope that people don't come just because of where it is, if they are truly fans...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

So, wait...

Way to go, Disney.
    I don't really think that's fair. That's like saying building a zoo is counter intuitive to protecting free roaming wildlife around the globe, one really does influence the other. You need places to teach conservation because frankly most of the public doesn't care unless its presented in a cool or popular way. Disney is unique in that I feel a lot of what they does really does use entertainment to teach us something.

As a previous poster said, by concentrating on the environmental message, respecting habits, understanding and appreciating differences, AVATAR may very well fit in with Disney's approach of teaching through entertainment.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    AK is based on the all the animals that ever existed, or never existed on Earth.
    Hmmmm....I clearly remember All Creatures That Ever Existed and Never Existed....no on Earth sounds revisionist...

Whatever you think about the movie, no one knows about the Land yet. Disney has a track record of doing things well.

As for cutting the trees, really? First off, you don't know what will be cut, what will be used, secondly everyone wanted an expansion for AK, and any other expansion would be woven into the existing trees . Give me a break, that has nothing to do with whether or not Pandora is a good idea...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Okay, just out of sheer curiosity, can you explain this mentality to me? I have a hard time understanding why you would deny yourself something that is SO enjoyable to you simply on the basis that it's NOT Disney. I also am a big Harry Potter Fan. I am dying to go to Wizarding World, but knowing that they are going to expand it, I'm waiting until it's DONE so I can fully enjoy it, because I don't get to Universal very often.

You are really missing out if you choose to live your life strictly in the Disney bubble...why would you want to limit your experiences like that?

I'm sure there are also people out there that are quite "anti Disney". But, perhaps, they are full on AVATAR junkies. I would hate to think that someone like that (or a lot of someones) would choose not to visit the new land solely on the basis of the company providing the experince.

I might not like the idea of AVATAR in Disney parks, but I would never hope that people don't come just because of where it is, if they are truly fans...
    The choice to NOT go to Potterland is 99% financial. Can't afford the extra ticket expense for 4.

The last 1% is my 2 dd's are scared of HP movies still (except the 1st movie) and my DH just goes along with my HP obsession. So, I'd be alone in my joy of being there. Which really boils down to $$ again. Not going to spend all that $$ on something that basically only I will enjoy. Now, when my girls are in Chapter books????? Well, DH better get on the bandwagon because I can guarantee the 3 of us will be Potterland bound.

My motivation for not going is NOT because I'm solely pro-Disney. It's because I'm cheap.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I posted this earlier, but it seems to have gotten lost in the clutter. Disney is currently in damage control mode on their official blog. Has anyone ever seen them try to calm everybody down so quickly after a major announcement? I think they really were blindsided by the response they got. It also shows me that a lot of people (many of whom don't frequent this board) are raising the same questions being raised here. This makes me think that they are fairly legitimate concerns.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Ok, I posted this earlier, but it seems to have gotten lost in the clutter. Disney is currently in damage control mode on their official blog. Has anyone ever seen them try to calm everybody down so quickly after a major announcement? I think they really were blindsided by the response they got. It also shows me that a lot of people (many of whom don't frequent this board) are raising the same questions being raised here. This makes me think that they are fairly legitimate concerns.
    Damage control? I only saw where they held one Q and A yesterday.
    legitimate concerns? Concerns is a strong word. Unless you are a stock holder there should be no concern. Whatever happens with this deal, should not negatively impact attendance at AK. I'm not saying it can't, just that it shouldn't. If it flops, then it flops and people will just not visit that land. I can't imagine there would be many people to refuse to go to AK because of this.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: