Quantcast Coral Reef question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Germantown, TN : 824 miles from the Magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coral Reef question

I've seen mixed reviews on dinner at Coral Reef -- on both the food and the service. But I trust you guys!

Can you share your experiences at Coral Reef? Quality of food is primary; service is secondary for me. In your response, please let me know when you last dined there, if possible.

Thanks!
    Late '70s - Contemporary
    04/08 - All-Star Music
    09/08 - All-Star Music
    03/09 - All-Star Music
    09/09 - PORS (F&W Fest)
    10/11 - POP (F&W Fest)

Next Trip -- NOT SOON ENOUGH!!!

My laughin' place is a Doom Buggy!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I went in 2007. It was okay - the food wasn't bad per se, but it didn't blow me away.

I didn't get a table right by the aquarium window, so if I had a better table I might have enjoyed it more.

I haven't been back, but maybe I will give it a second chance soon. From the reviews I have seen, it looks like a kind of gamble for the service/food aspect. Good luck!
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

We'd seen the mixed reviews too, but decided to give it a try anyway. We had a wonderful meal and excellent service - that was in May 2010. Our seats were several rows back from the aquarium, but it was still a lovely experience.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate dinner there in 2007. The two of us had seats right next to the aquarium which was fun to look at. The dinner? I am not a seafood eater so my choices were very limited. As I recall, I had a steak and I think DW had salmon. To me, it was so-so, but I think it was way overpriced for what it was. I've never really had a urge to go back. If DW wants to go back, I will, but otherwise, I much prefer the Beirgarten.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there in July. The food was ok, nothing too memorable. The best meal at our table was our son's steak. The service was very good. We were on the dining plan and my DW insisted we make reservations there. We had eated there back about 16 years ago and loved it then, so DW wanted to try it again regardless of the reviews. There are so many choices for places to eat at Epcot, I don't think we will be going back any time soon.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

We've ate there our last two trips, 2010 and 2008, and are going again next Feb, my wife and I both enjoy the food, and we always ask to be seated next to the aquarium. Takes a little longer to be seated but well worth the view.
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Just ate there at the end of August. It was our first time there. The atmosphere is really pretty cool - our kids really liked it. There wasn't a tremendous amount of options on the menu and the food was OK. Service was a little slow and when we did receive service - it felt a little rushed. Overall it was a nice evening but we won't be rushing to go back.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I ate there in Jan 2009. While we were not right next to the aquarium, we had a great view of the aquarium. We are huge seafood eaters (we actually live only 30 minutes from the beach) and thoroughly enjoyed our meal, our waiter, the view, and the pace at which everything ran. It was a bit slower paced, but as we were celebrating both our anniversary and our 1st vacation alone since we had our children - we were okay with a slower pace.

And because I have food allergy issues, the chef personally visited our table both before the meal and during the meal to make sure everything was prepared the way I needed it. He was the only head chef that came out during our entire visit.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I've eaten there many times and most recently just ate there a couple of weeks ago (August 26). If we can fit it in, we usually make reservations. This time we were supposed to be seated 4 rows aways from the tank but asked if the empty table by the tank was available and after checking they moved us easily. It was nice that it kept my girls occupied for most of the meal. I loved the mussels appetizer and got the mahi mahi for entree. Service was on par.
    2008 Sep: SOG
    2009 Feb: Poly / Apr: Timeshare
    2009 Nov: ASMo, BWV, PC
    2010 Sep: WL, OKW
    2011 Feb: Poly, BWV / Aug: BC, BWV, ASMo
    2012 Apr: FW Campgrounds / Aug: BWV
    2013 Feb: Timeshare
    2014 Feb: Timeshare
    2014 Nov: (DL) Grand Californian
    2015 Feb: OKW, Bonnet Creek Resort

Post Thanks / Like

It's been several years but our experience there was wonderful. We also ate at Le Cellier that trip and Coral Reef's food was far superior. I definitely want to make a return trip.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to say, but I'll probably never eat there again. It's not that it's bad, but it can't match my expectations.

My first meal there was in 2000, and the menu has really fallen off since then. The lobster bisque was downright decadent, and now... it's just "meh" in comparison.

The ambiance is great, get lunch there just to watch the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there last trip and due to change in plans are eating there again this year (not too objectionable, just wasn't first choice).DH and I had steak- a little salty for my taste, daughter had phyllo mushroom entree-against my recommendations- she didn't like it-as I expected, and ended up stealing my steak. I strongly dislike phyllo, and mushroom concoction could have been so much better (thinking mushroom risotto at Le Cellier ) so I ended up leaving relatively unfed. Service was a little slow, but not an issue, ambiance was why we went and didn't disappoint. We are not seafood eaters but really enjoyed the view (seated 2 rows up but still a fantastic view). I think I'll try the chicken this time.
    May'98-WL
    Sept'01-POFQ
    Oct'03-ASM
    Aug'04-CBR & Charley
    Dec'05- WL-Joined DVC
    June'06- DL's Grand Californian
    Nov '06 SSR
    Oct '07 SSR with extended family
    Oct '08 Disney Wonder/OKW
    Nov '09 AKV @ Kidani
    Nov '10 Kidani
    Nov '11 VWL
    May-June 13 Kidani
    Feb-March '14 SSR

Germantown, TN : 824 miles from the Magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone! It seems that the steak is one of the best things on the menu. Since I'm already having lunch at Le Cellier, I may pass this trip and try again later (when I'm taking advantage of free dining).

(Now, if I can just get into 'Ohana . . . )
    Late '70s - Contemporary
    04/08 - All-Star Music
    09/08 - All-Star Music
    03/09 - All-Star Music
    09/09 - PORS (F&W Fest)
    10/11 - POP (F&W Fest)

Next Trip -- NOT SOON ENOUGH!!!

My laughin' place is a Doom Buggy!

Post Thanks / Like

Were going in Dec and it will be our first time ,so i am looking forward to it slightly more now ..
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

we ate here back in march. We had a seat right next to the aquarium which the kids enjoyed, and the service was ok, nothing amazing but not the worst we've had. I had the salmon and enjoyed it, DW had the mahi mahi and swears never again. Overall I liked it (but my tastes may have been swayed by the chocolate wave) but the DW and DD's (9 and 5) didn't like it, and we may never be back. It was ok, but on our last trip a few weeks ago we had much better dining options, GF cafe, Kona (dinner), Les chefs de france, and wolfgang puck cafe, all much, much better experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate there in 2007 and have never been back. My food was inedible and it took 2 hours. The tank is great for the first hour but I had enough of it after that. The service was horrendous and the lobby was so loud and so packed that I had to step over 3 famlies to get to the rest room. It's on my list for ones not to try again for sure.
    Heidi (DS16, DD14 and the reluctant DH)
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginger19 View Post
    We ate there in 2007 and have never been back. My food was inedible and it took 2 hours. The tank is great for the first hour but I had enough of it after that. The service was horrendous and the lobby was so loud and so packed that I had to step over 3 famlies to get to the rest room. It's on my list for ones not to try again for sure.
    Wow. Well, that's certainly not the norm. We've eaten here five or six times, and never had a bad meal or bad service. One time we ate at Le Cellier one day, and here the next, and I thought that the steak was better at the Coral Reef. They used to have a pork chop on the menu that my wife *loved*, but they have pulled it.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

First of all I like your avatar.....I am a uofm alum thus the name Tigerinvestigator! We have never had a bad meal at coral reef but were never blown away with the food either. This past March we tried it again and it was excellent. We already have plans to eat there on the next trip. Pretty much like anywhere else, there are good meals and bad meals....but we will definately be back!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

My ds and I ate there in June of this year and just last week and both times the service and the food were excellent. I have eaten here in 2007, 2009, and 2010 and have never gotten anything but great food and great service. I too am not a seafood eater, but loved my steak and cooked perfectly- no pink). Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichGuy View Post
    Hate to say, but I'll probably never eat there again. It's not that it's bad, but it can't match my expectations.

My first meal there was in 2000, and the menu has really fallen off since then. The lobster bisque was downright decadent, and now... it's just "meh" in comparison.

The ambiance is great, get lunch there just to watch the tank.
    This for me also Was there this May. I had hopes but the wait was long and the food was just OK. Hate to say it but rated last on my list for my dinner experiences from my 16 dinners at WDW.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: