Quantcast What was your first . . . - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

My first car was purchased for 600 hard earned $$$....It was a 1968 Mustang Coupe - 200cid 6 cylinder engine with a 3 speed manual transmission...The color was a shade of green that looked almost gold in the light (I actually thought the color was gold until I looked up the color palette for 1968 Fords)....I bought it in January of 1979 and had it for all of about 3 months until a drunk ran me off the road an I lost control in gravel and rolled it!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess Snuggs30 and I have something in common:

1970 AMC Hornet 2-door coupe

Faded blue paint with one red fender

No floor

No front bumper

Hole-y exhaust system

More body filler than metal

Vacuum assist wipers (stopped when you accelerated or went up a hill)

Broken alternator/voltage regulator

Wonky brakes

But it got me through college and into my first real job.

And I loved it. Haven't seen one since.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    My first car was a 1965 VW Beetle - white. I paid $500 for it and by time it died, I could have taken that engine apart and put it back together by myself!

Never known for their power (and I live in hilly New England), I remember having to floor it every time I started up at long upgrade in the hopes it wouldn't slow down too badly before I hit the crest of the hill!
    Had to laugh, Linda, when I read about taking your VW engine apart. DH and I had one in the middle 70s - no longer recall what year, he thinks '67 - but we got very good at removing the engine in no time. DH just said it was the easiest car he ever worked on but had to work on it every day.

In high school - in New York state - my best friend had a VW and I very much remember her trying to make it up hills before we hit walking speed.

Our older daughter's second car was an AMC Gremlin. Weird looking car but it was transportation. And another car that was good in the snow.

Sure has been fun reading the posts. I'm reminded of Jimmy Buffet's song about our first cars costing less than a pair of sneakers today.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

My first car was a well maintained 1949 Packard hearse. It was gift from my best friend on my 16th birthday. I had more fun with that car especially around Halloween and on dollar a carload nights at the drive-in. I used it all through college until it required major repairs that would have cost more that the car was worth. I reluctantly sold it for parts and promptly upgraded to a 1950 Plymouth that I purchased for $6.00 from a graduating senior.
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a brown 1973 Oldsmobile Omega (looked like a Nova), which I bought for $150 back in 1986, right before I started my senior year in High School. Had to replace the engine mounts twice in the two years that I had it. Plus, the trunk would pop open if you hit a bump or pothole too hard, which happened many a time, including once while going over the Walt Whitman bridge. It became too expensive for me to maintain, so it was replaced with a Plymouth Turismo hatchback. The guy I sold the Olds to totaled it about a week after I sold it.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who had a less than ideal first car.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

1967 Dodge coronet, gold in color. Paid $150.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a white 1963 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door sedan. It had a 6 cylinder engine and a 3 speed standard (shifter on the steering column) that I purchased for $400 in the summer of 1968. I sold it to my sister a year later.

The shifter would sometimes get stuck between gears and I'd have to open the hood and hit the shifter links with a mallet.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

My first car was a 1987 Chevy Blazer/2 Door. It was used and it was a hunk of junk. I remember shortly after I got it the transmission went and I needed a new one and then the engine had to be rebuilt.I am pretty sure the 4 wheel drive either stopped working or never worked in the first place. I had it just under 2 years I think.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

1967 Rambler American, not a bit of cool about it for a 16 year old. The only redeeming thing it had going for it was a reclining bench seat.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonLefNY View Post
    The shifter would sometimes get stuck between gears and I'd have to open the hood and hit the shifter links with a mallet.
    I had a 1964 Ford Falcon van that did the same thing except I had to jump out, rum around to the passenger side, lay on the ground and use a metal rod to unjamb the linkage. It did this at the most inopportune times.
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

I got my license at 16.5, on a Monday. That Friday I picked up my first car, a 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2 Limited edition with an automatic transmission. It was black with a red interior. This was in 1972. I paid $550.00 that I had been saving up by working nights and weekends at Bradlees Department store. That car could fly! But unfortunately it had been Mickey Moused before I got it and not in a good way! When I blew the transmission, I couldn't get one to fit without spending a fortune on it. I then bought a maroon, 3 speed manual transmission 1972 Chevy Impala that I'd paid $350.00 for and blew the transmission in that too! I sold them both for $75.00. If I still had that Mustang it would be worth a small fortune now! I've since learned to be more gentle on my cars.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

my first car I got was an 85 Ford Mustang hatchback. It was blue, with the black hood stripe. I loved that car, but not enough to drive it sensibly and killed it 5 months later.

The first car I bought (because Mom meant it when she said she would only buy me one!) I bought almost 4 years later and it was a 90 Buick Skylark. (not the hotrod type of the 60s and 70s, the little grandma version) I had it for about 2 years until minor problems and quirks coupled with the fact that I could no longer get it to pass inspection forced me to get rid of it. I couldn't even sell it, I had to donate it!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 1979 Chevy Chevette (I called it my "Vette" in much jest).

I paid $900 for the thing in 1994, and it ran quite well until 1999 when the clutch, starter and alternator all went. Pretty good investment!

That things was a POS - the door panels had this banding on them that was peeling off in strips, the radio had four levers to "set" stations which usually broke, the car had a permanent funk in the upholstery, and the thing would rattle and whine if I tried to get it above 55 MPH!

I threatened my brother by promising to take him for rides to meet his friends in it.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Christine! Yes, seriously. This was in 1961, long before Stephen King wrote the book and not at all the car I wanted. That Plymouth Fury had to have been one of the ugliest cars ever made. Although I earned the money to pay for it, my dad was the one who found it for me. Low mileage, great shape and a super, super low price. That thing was still ugly, but what did I know, I thought my cat's eyes glasses with the rinestones that I wore were fashionable.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

my first car was a hand me down from my brother.it was a red 61 4 door chevy 2.no power ,friend step thru the floor in the back,hung up shifting between gears but it was mine.i was the first of my friend to get a "car" so i drove them to school for gas money.i remember one day we were driving to school.3 in the front seat 3 in the back.we were on a busy road when i noticed the guys in the back were bent over and hiding and the other guy up front sitting by the door was also hiding.i was confused until i realized that me and the guy sitting next to me were the only 2 people visible in this car.to everyone who saw us we were snuggled up real close.HaHa.i doubled their gas money after that.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: