Quantcast WDW Weather Forecast - September 30-Oct 16, 2011

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Weather Forecast - September 30-Oct 16, 2011

I'll update this first post each day with the forecast (though I'll occasionally miss Sundays), both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment, which is why I call it "voodooland." If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. If you want to see the exact conditions for your travel dates over the last few years, go to our historic weather page in Info Central here. Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Updated Friday pm, September 30, 2011
    The front slowed down slightly so the high hit 90 today, and might even climb to 91, but the front will arrive this afternoon with a slight chance of light showers. Tomorrow and Sunday will be noticeably cooler with a high 82-84 for tomorrow, and around 80 on Sunday. Monday will warm to 82-84, then 84-86 for Tuesday through Friday. Lows will be 62-64 for tomorrow and Sunday then 64-66 for Monday through Friday. No rain chance at all through Tuesday. Wednesday through Friday will see a slim chance of a pop up afternoon shower as humidity returns.

Long range...Oct 8-11 should be in the upper 80s with a slight chance of an afternoon shower. A cold front moves in on Oct 12 bringing a good chance of thunderstorms. Oct 13-16 looks dry with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s.

Travel Impact
    At 1:15 pm CDT, Newark is delayed due to wind, but everyone else is clear and I don't see any big issues for tomorrow.

Any of you who are nervous about flying, especially related to turbulence, go here and here to learn a lot about turbulence. Those two articles should be very helpful in allowing you to understand turbulence and flight safety when it hits. Hopefully all of this will help you relax and enjoy the trip to WDW more!

Tropics
    Hurricane Ophelia is strengthening in the Atlantic today, and with 115 mph sustained winds, she is now the season’s third major (Category Three) hurricane. This will be no threat to the United States, but it could brush eastern Canada as it becomes extratropical early next week. Tropical Storm Philippe, on the other hand, it not expected to strengthen much over the next five days as he drifts westward. However, he keeps hanging around and might just survive the intense wind shear and that could make things interesting. This storm also appears to be no threat to the US, but early October may have some nearby activity. It’s too early to see any details, but the weather pattern turns very favorable for Caribbean or Gulf development over the next two weeks. That's what we'll really need to watch for in terms of something impacting WDW.

Click here to see WDW's 2011 Hurricane Policy.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!!

Happy Weather Anniversary!!! Thanks for always keeping us updated.
    Rhonda

Trips to WDW: Priceless

Impossible is not a word.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, and Happy anniversary!
    Should I be concerned with the Gulf storm or will it primarily be a rain maker and not a home wrecker?
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chris! I will be hanging on your every word from now until we leave on the 28th!

Thanks so much for doing these forecasts for us!
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    Should I be concerned with the Gulf storm or will it primarily be a rain maker and not a home wrecker?
    Wind won't be a big issue with this storm, BUT, rain amounts of 10-20 inches are possible along the coast from LA to the FL panhandle. So, if you live in a flood prone area, I would start making preparations for that. But if you're on the high ground this storm shouldn't be a big deal beyond being very wet.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris!
    so far it has just been rain with a few wind gusts.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris!
    so far it has just been rain with a few wind gusts.
    I hope it all turns out okay for you. It doesn't look like it'll be too big of a deal other than the rain.

From your sig it looks like we have the same travel plans. I'm teaching at conferences (which allows me to take my family) at Disney in Sept, Dec, and May (as well as Oct and Jan). It's nice to be paid to go to WDW.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

/Oh no! I hope there is not a hurricane...we leave on and want to be able to go. :0(
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to keep a little eye on your forecasts.....we're close to voodooland forecasts ourselves!!

27 Sept - 5 Oct we'll be there!!

Here's hoping for a quiet tropics for the next few weeks!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    I hope it all turns out okay for you. It doesn't look like it'll be too big of a deal other than the rain.

From your sig it looks like we have the same travel plans. I'm teaching at conferences (which allows me to take my family) at Disney in Sept, Dec, and May (as well as Oct and Jan). It's nice to be paid to go to WDW.
    Sounds like you have a great work/play life. How awesome is that!

Lee just moved past me about an hour ago. The worst part of the storm was the last hour of it. I had some damaging wind guts. Limited to tree and limb damage. A few small tornadoes in the area last night. Luckily, I have not heard of any injuries. All totaled ; I got about 13 inches of rain.

I hope you and everyone makes it through Lee's remnants unharmed.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you and everyone makes it through Lee's remnants unharmed.
    We've all done well. Most of the heavy rain is north and west of us, though I expect we'll get some more this evening.

Those little spin-up tornadoes are the most difficult to forecast. They literally appear out of nowhere and radar can't see them. It's just something you have to watch out for in tropical situations. Glad you came out okay!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates, Chris!

Right now, I'm liking your long range forecast in that we arrive on the 13th and leave on the 22nd....A little on the warm side, but it can't be much more humid than we are right now in PA!!

Getting the northern remnants of TS Lee today and continuing into the coming weekend...We are not prepared for long, drenching rains like FL is! This is NOT a sandbar!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Please, please no weather event for Sept. 22-28....

Heat and afternoon showers, I'm good.

Thank you so much for your reports.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Tropics are picking up. Can't control it. I am not overly concerned because the odds of these storms hitting is relatively low.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    Tropics are picking up. Can't control it. I am not overly concerned because the odds of these storms hitting is relatively low.
    Right now that is probably the case. The same pattern in place for Irene and Katia seems like it will still remain for TD 14 (soon to be Maria) and storms should continue to be deflected away from Florida. That can change, but I don't see any big pattern changes right now.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We will be arriving on the 21st and I agree with you Chris, there is nothing that we can do about it. I'm not worried about voodooland, it's time to go to WDW and have a great time!
    By the way, thanks for keeping us updated on the weather happenings in the WDW area.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I am exactly ONE WEEK out...arriving on the 16th. I have been watching your updates and very grateful for what you do here on the board.
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

I have started to keep a closer eye on the weather since we are getting closer to our trip.....any insight on the tropical waves off the coast of Africa -- weather channel people are saying this looks right now to be a pretty big storm forming.
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppysmom View Post
    I have started to keep a closer eye on the weather since we are getting closer to our trip.....any insight on the tropical waves off the coast of Africa -- weather channel people are saying this looks right now to be a pretty big storm forming.
    Right now there are no waves that the NHC has identified for potential development any time soon (even a low chance), so there's nothing to worry about. As I mentioned in the updated forecast I just posted - some of the models showed a major hurricane hitting Florida towards the end of the month, but that does not show up this morning. So, for right now nothing to be concerned about. We're definitely not through with tropical season, but I'll keep you posted as things develop. The WC guys have gone for more sensationalism than true meteorology ever since NBC bought them out and I don't have much respect for them anymore. There is definitely nothing in the next 7 days to worry about. Beyond that, impossible to say, but I'll let you know if anything pops up.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Right now there are no waves that the NHC has identified for potential development any time soon (even a low chance), so there's nothing to worry about. As I mentioned in the updated forecast I just posted - some of the models showed a major hurricane hitting Florida towards the end of the month, but that does not show up this morning. So, for right now nothing to be concerned about. We're definitely not through with tropical season, but I'll keep you posted as things develop. The WC guys have gone for more sensationalism than true meteorology ever since NBC bought them out and I don't have much respect for them anymore. There is definitely nothing in the next 7 days to worry about. Beyond that, impossible to say, but I'll let you know if anything pops up.

I kinda get that about the WC guys too.....I'm not overly concerned, just cautious....plus we won't be there until 27 Sept anyway......a long time in weather speak!

Thanks for keeping us all updated on weather for our trip planning though!!
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *Oct 15 CST