Quantcast Classic Car owners - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    My dream car is a 1970 Dodge Challenger. I don't have it yet, but I will once my kids move out. . I've even picked out the color already - Candy Brandy Wine.
    If you have a drag strip around your house, try going down there and talking to the people who are racing classics. They'll give you some good advice.
    when i was younger i always wondered why these old folks were driving around in nice classic cars and i wasnt .now that im one of them i realized when you got a family to support all your time and money is put in to them(worth every penny and second)so now that my kids are grown i can be one of the old folks that are getting looked at and asked the same question. my youngest son ,24, wants me to stop my current project and start on my truck i bought in high school, a 74 ford bronco, so he can have it.LOL gotta love em anyways good luck to all you car buffs.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen it, but now I will have to.
    It's dated but cool. The star of the film is the '70 Challenger. My buddies and I were in high school when it came out and we all dreamed of having a Challenger.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a future classic car. It is a 2007 Mustang GT Convertible that has only 9,000 miles it. Mainly just sits in the garage. It still has those little rubber "threads" sticking out of the tires.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 65 Mustang with a 289 V8. Man I loved that car. It was awesome and I had a lot of fun taking it to car shows and talking with other classic car buffs.

Downside to the car, at least mine, was that when the engine (original) was rebuilt to handle unleaded gas it made it run HOT and the cooling system didnt handle it well. If i drove it more than say 50 miles at a time, when i parked the car and turned off the engine, it would puke about 2 quarts of coolant.
    Also, mine wasnt fully restored mechanically so form time to time something would break and I would have to fix it.

GOOD- Even when i had to fix something it was pretty straight forward. A decent tool box and a Chiltons Manual and I was good to go. And I am not a mechanic but I CAN follow intructions and an old Small Block engine is pretty easy to work on. Plus it has a LOT of room for you to work on it under the hood. Matter of fact you can fit a 429 big block in there if you REALLY want to.

Hope this helps.
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite

Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    ahhhh, Vanishing Point. Great film. Bad ending for the car though.
    Here's some trivia...

The car that has the "bad ending" wasn't actually a Challenger.

What car did they use in that climactic scene as a "double"?

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    I have a future classic car. It is a 2007 Mustang GT Convertible that has only 9,000 miles it. Mainly just sits in the garage. It still has those little rubber "threads" sticking out of the tires.
    Ugh...no disrespect, but I never understood that.

Cars aren't museum pieces. They're meant to be driven. My brother and I both have 2006 Mustang GTs. His has 6K miles on it, mine has 45K. His is basically stock, I've modified the body to my liking and the engine to over 600 horsepower. He just cruises around town, I'm a member of a car club, enter her in car shows almost every weekend and am probably going to bring her to the track to see what she can do this year. Even with 45K on it, she's immaculate because I maintain her well.

He keeps saying "well in 10 years I'll have less than 50K miles on it."

My line of thinking is, in 10 years you've only enjoyed that car for 50K miles. Drive it, and dive it hard the way it was built to be driven. Enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

"The car that has the "bad ending" wasn't actually a Challenger. What car did they use in that climactic scene as a "double"?"

Yeah, it wasn't even Dodge, It was a '67 Camaro (with no engine). I guess they couldn't bear to destroy a perfectly good Challenger.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    "The car that has the "bad ending" wasn't actually a Challenger. What car did they use in that climactic scene as a "double"?"

Yeah, it wasn't even Dodge, It was a '67 Camaro (with no engine). I guess they couldn't bear to destroy a perfectly good Challenger.
    Good! I'll destroy a Camaro any day.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Good! I'll destroy a Camaro any day.
    Hey c'mon now...don't make fun of the Mulletmobile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Here's some trivia...

The car that has the "bad ending" wasn't actually a Challenger.

What car did they use in that climactic scene as a "double"?

Ugh...no disrespect, but I never understood that.

Cars aren't museum pieces. They're meant to be driven. My brother and I both have 2006 Mustang GTs. His has 6K miles on it, mine has 45K. His is basically stock, I've modified the body to my liking and the engine to over 600 horsepower. He just cruises around town, I'm a member of a car club, enter her in car shows almost every weekend and am probably going to bring her to the track to see what she can do this year. Even with 45K on it, she's immaculate because I maintain her well.

He keeps saying "well in 10 years I'll have less than 50K miles on it."

My line of thinking is, in 10 years you've only enjoyed that car for 50K miles. Drive it, and dive it hard the way it was built to be driven. Enjoy it.

You enjoy your car the way you want, and I'll enjoy my car the way I want.

Post Thanks / Like

You enjoy your car the way you want, and I'll enjoy my car the way I want.
    Dude don't take it personal, it's just an opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, I like cars for the driving.

I love the scene(s) from Ferris Bueller's day off with the Ferrari 250 GT. Although the few of those that still exist were selling for millions at auction, and were being purchased as collectible investments, I always though that Enzo would be appalled that the cars weren't being driven like Ferraris were made to be.
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing personal about it. Just the way you stated it, yours was the right way and mine was wrong. My point is that both ways are right. Whatever works for you.

Everytime I see some old guy out on a weekend drive with a 25 year old car in pristine condition, I get a huge smile on my face. I wann be "that guy."

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

A neighbor has an early-50's Corvette that looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I'm not sure whether I want to shake his hand or carjack him.

My personal goal is to find and restore a copy of my second car, a 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible, baby blue, 390 Thunderbird Special engine coupled to a "four on the floor" tranny.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing personal about it. Just the way you stated it, yours was the right way and mine was wrong. My point is that both ways are right. Whatever works for you.
    Exactly. If you read what I said, I said "my line of thinking" meaning it's an opinon, what's right for me. Not right or wrong. That's why I started the whole thing with "no disrespect".

Everytime I see some old guy out on a weekend drive with a 25 year old car in pristine condition, I get a huge smile on my face. I wann be "that guy."
    Power to you! I hope to be the same way. That's why I upkeep her like a fiend.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I love classic muscle cars. My dream car would be a '65 Shelby Cobra with the 427 in it, fully restored. Too bad it would cost me like $200 grand.

I'd also love to own a '60 Corvette ... the classic Roman Red/white paint scheme ... drop top ... that'd be a car I could die happy in.

Wouldn't mind owning that Ferris Bueller Ferrari either.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to get a 65 to 67 Pontiac GTO. In fact I'm headed to the Mecum auction in Kissimee this January.

I kick myself for selling my 67 Ford Fairlane GT (390, 4 speed) years ago.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DonLefNY View Post
    I'd love to get a 65 to 67 Pontiac GTO. In fact I'm headed to the Mecum auction in Kissimee this January.
    Reminds me of a story. In '64 or '65, my mother put her Nash Rambler in my uncle's shop (he was a Pontiac dealer) for repairs that were going to take a few days, and he loaned her a brand-new fire engine red GTO convertible for the duration. Fortunately for her, it had an automatic tranny, but the acceleration was just a tad more powerful than she was used to with her Rambler. Needless to say, my older brother and I found every possible excuse to use the "Goat". That thing was sweeeeeeeeet ! We were also very glad that our uncle took over a week to fix the Rambler.

The Mecum auction is held close to my present home; they get some really great cars there. I drool as I drive by. Good luck with your search!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DonLefNY View Post
    I'd love to get a 65 to 67 Pontiac GTO.
    Yeah, I don't know how I left the GTO off my list.

When I was born, my Grandfather had a '68 and my Uncle had a '67. I still remember how cool I thought those cars were even though they were both gone before I was 3.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: