Quantcast Advice needed for looking great all day in parks - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Bring loose powder and a "puff" with you. This is a "celebrity secret" I saw on TV..... Go into the bathroom (I would do this in a stall so people don't look at you weird) and take a seat cover and blot your face. The seat cover material soaks up the oil better than a tissue can do. After you get the oil off just take the loose powder and blot your skin. Make-up then looks like new!
    I definitely will try this! I carry those little oil absorbing sheets with me, but this will be even better since the seat covers are larger and free

Thanks for the great tips
    Kimberly a.k.a. Your Magical Guide
    Visited WDW:
    03/2018 - POFQ (Bldg. 2)
    05/2017 - POR (Oak Manor - Royal Guest Room)
    09/2011 - POR (Oak Manor)
    03/2009 - CBR (Martinique)
    03/2007 - Offsite
    03/2004 - Offsite
    03/2003 - Offsite
    03/1998 - Offsite
    10/1995 - Offsite
    07/1988 - Contemporary

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently read this tip: use a matte, unscented antiperspirant on your face. I've only tried it once, under my eyes and only in MI heat, so not sure how it would hold up in WDW.

I never look like I'm wearing make up either, even though I am. But, I go light on make up, especially in the heat.

I usually pull my hair back too. It's thin and shoulder length and just works better that way in the heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebritney View Post
    As a side note, if your planning to wear Bare Minerals (or any of these mineral types of make up and tinted moisturizer) - I wouldn't advise wearing it on a day when you'll be taking lots of photos. Mineral make ups are the absolute worst for photos! The minerals in the products cause the flash to wash you out.
    This isn't true for everyone. I've been using Bare Escentuals for 10 yrs.

I always shade my face with a hat or sun visor. The shadowing creates less harshness on my face.

I also never go without sunglasses, therefor less squinting.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Based on my experience, I rarely see anyone at the end of the day that looks fresh as a daisy. But it looks like you've gotten some good advice so far.

One other simple recommendation--make sure and wear face lotion that is SPF 30; put sun-block on the rest of your exposed skin too. Nothing makes a person look more worn or raggedy in pictures than a sunburn.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to braids being trendy this season I will gladly be rocking lots of pony tail braids! Their easy, and keep you cool on hot days
    I am also big on wearing the ponytail braid... especially in disney!! I shower, and I don't even have to blowdry my hair.. I just put it in a braid wet and spray with some hairspray when I'm done.. later in the day when its all dry and I take the braid out, it makes for a nice pretty waved ponytail for the evening!! Simple!!!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Mitchel super skinny gel is great for the frizz.
    Bailey's Drhama
    Coming up :) Sept 16 AKL Club Level*
    *Sept 15 POR***Sept 14 - AKL*
    *Nov 12 - POR***Sept 11 & 09 - POFQ*
    *Sept 08 - POR***Sept 07 - OKW*
    *Dec 06 - CBR***Sept 05 - W Cabins*
    *Dec 03 - CSR & WL***Sept 01 & 99 - off site*
    *June 98 - ASM***Dec 97 & 96 - GF*

Post Thanks / Like

I usually keep my make up simple - a little foundation, mascara, and lip balm. I think the less you have on all day, the better it looks through out the day. I also keep my hair up until I am taking a picture, then I put it down. I have very straight hair, but if it has been up in a quick bun all day, when it comes down it has some nice looking waves. When the picture is finished, back up it goes!
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Seriously?!?!?

Love yourself however you are . . . you are on vacation not a Paris runway.

Relaxed and happy always looks good and if you are hung up on your looks, there is always photoshop ~ then you can be perfect . . . . .

Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think you're going a bit too crazy with this. The professional photographer man was right---these pictures are meant to be seen by your friends and family, not for your resume or anything. Besides, I don't think there'd be anyone who would have the guts to insult you or anyone in your pictures.
    I prefer to not wear makeup, besides mascara, but here's what my mom uses: lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, foundation, blush. She still sweats but it's not really noticeable.
    If you're really uncomfortable with your hair, try putting it in a ponytail, braid, or you can put gel on it to make it stay in place and out of your face.
    Also, try to stay indoors as much as possible and avoid being outside as much as possible especially during the middle of the day (noon). If necessary, you can wipe/wash sweat off your face every now and then.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

I get it - the photos I take at Disney or on vacation ARE for me and my family to remember our vacation, and I am usually taking the pictures, so occasionally I'd like my kids to look at our trip photos and remember that I was there, too! And I am vain enough that looking through the pics I want to be happy with how I looked, as well. I am a pony-tailer, but my best picture strategy is just to take a bunch. So if my husband has the camera and I want a photo of me with the kids, I have him just take several right in a row and I will look decent in one of them. Then, I might end up with only 3 pictures with me in them from our entire trip, but they will be good!

Post Thanks / Like

That's why the hair is always up. Not even bangs (sometimes). Sunglasses are a big help for the eyes. And bright colored clothing, always looks pretty.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    Not being of the female persuasion I can only give you my opinion.

I think that most women are to hard on themselves. Yes it gets hot and we all fall apart in the heat, but I have never seen anything to be self conscious about.

Those who see your photos are probably more jealous of the fact that you are at WDW and they were not.

As stated before maybe get the photos early in the day, but either way enjoy you are at WDW.

I love your comments.

I go with ... I am what I am, and if that's how I looked at the time, then that's how I looked at the time. That said, I too wonder at the completely put together folks I see at the parks. Maybe they come from hotter, muggier climates? I'm too old for a ponytail, so this year, I'm chopping my hair to shoulder length. As long as the hair is off my neck, I think I'll feel, and therefore look, better.

Some good advice in this thread!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Kim, I feel your pain! I often feel the same way in many family vacation pics ... especially at Disney! I am always behind the camera, so in the rare occasion I am not, I am usually disappointed with what a hot mess I look

There is a lot of great advice in these posts (thank you for sharing!). I did the Brazilian Blowout back in April for our last WDW trip and I can say I was SO happy with how much it helps with the drying and styling process, and certainly a marked improvement in the way the hair holds up in the heat and humidity! I mostly perspire from the scalp, so I always have wet straggly hair and a clammy flushed face

John Frieda's Frizz Ease 3 Day Straight is a great alternative to the $$$ for the Brazilian Blowout. I saw it on The Today Show about 2 months ago and have not stopped using it since. It's a spray bottle that lasts for about 30 applications for around $10 bucks. I've replaced my wide variety of daily hair styling products with just this and some root lifting gel. I've told everyone around me and now they are all hooked!

Only 3 weeks away for our next WDW trip! I am going to pull my hair up (it's barely long enough). Also bought a few visors which may cool my face off a bit. Hats make my head hot (read: my head sweats more!).

I like the tinted moisturizers also, as I am one who looks like I have no makeup on when I do. Love the waterproof eyeliner ... although choose the color wisely because sometimes it looks too dark if other makeup wears off etc. My favorite is Kiehl's lip balm - gives such a fresh look and it's the only thing I will use so I can kiss my babies

And thanks for the seat cover tip also ... now I will be using them on both ends

Love this thread, thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

I went down w a friend a few years ago and she told me to wear my hair down bc i wasnt going to look good in my photos with my hair in a pony all the time. I thought about that for about 20 seconds and was like, thats just crazy. im not going to wear my hair down in that heat. I have naturally curly hair that is comparable to Julia roberts's hair. I am on vacation and I want to be as comfortable as possible. My hair is back, I dont wear makeup bc I get in the fountains w the kids and I wet my face down in the bathrooms.. I have a blast and when I see my photos and I see that I dont look perfect, I see my smile and know that I was super happy at that moment, that is what really matters.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

I think people that worry about their appearance at Disney need to chill out. It's a vacation, no one expects you to look perfect. In fact, I think if you still look perfect at the end of the day, you did something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Another tip I recently read... if you want to wear eyeliner but are worried about looking overdone, use a darker lip liner color instead of black or dark brown.

Seriously, no one here is talking about looking runway perfect in WDW. Yes these pictures are family memories and they will be no matter what everyone looks like. But they're also the memories of the people asking for the tips too. There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone wanting to try a little something so they feel they look a little better in the picture. No one here is suggesting they aren't going to enjoy themselves, not get on rides or not get wet for the sake of looking better in a picture.

Post Thanks / Like

We always get a picture first thing in the morning by the castle....while the hair & makeup are in tip top shape. Usually after riding Splash Mountain, my hair goes up either into a ponytail, or my ever trusty stand-by ballcap which I love! Most of my pictures my hair is in a cap, but I DO have the magical few early in the morning when still lookin' good! LOL
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lizzi6692 View Post
    I think people that worry about their appearance at Disney need to chill out. It's a vacation, no one expects you to look perfect. In fact, I think if you still look perfect at the end of the day, you did something wrong.

I agree 100%!!

My friends & family have looked at photos over the years & have never said "ohmigawd, you were in public like that?!?" They always say " it looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!"

It IS about the moments that take your breath away!!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I have always wondered about this product. How do you get the right color for your skin? Off topic a little...Sorry!
    NJGIRL, I'd read a little about them on the web, I was looking for a lighter alternative for summer & made a couple of notes what to look for. I really never made time to look, but found the CG brand in Walmart just before our trip this year & I remembered reading that you should go a little darker as they typically go on lighter than they appear. I have fair to med skin tone & so I chose the med to dark. It actually feels pretty good, duh - moisturizer & has SPF 15. It's not GREAT, takes a little practice to get a nice smooth application - not too heavy or thick, but it'll do for summer & I'm not a BIG makeup person anyway, mostly Bare Minerals foundation & some mascara!

As a side note, if your planning to wear Bare Minerals (or any of these mineral types of make up and tinted moisturizer) - I wouldn't advise wearing it on a day when you'll be taking lots of photos. Mineral make ups are the absolute worst for photos! The minerals in the products cause the flash to wash you out.
    iceicebritney, I only wear Bare Minerals and I've never noticed this at all. ? But we all know that all make up types/brands aren't for everyone. This foundation seems to look the same at the end of the day as it did when I put it on, vs. liquid/cream/regular powder foundations, which seem to crease or streak or wear unevenly throughout the day on me. I follow the foundation & with a swipe of the mineral veil and the coverage lasts all day.

I want to look decent on vacation - but also be comfortable & not worry about if my "look" will hold up all day, I'm not a high maintenance girl at all!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
    John Frieda's Frizz Ease 3 Day Straight is a great alternative to the $$$ for the Brazilian Blowout. I saw it on The Today Show about 2 months ago and have not stopped using it since. It's a spray bottle that lasts for about 30 applications for around $10 bucks. I've replaced my wide variety of daily hair styling products with just this and some root lifting gel. I've told everyone around me and now they are all hooked!
    LisaP, I meant to give you a on theJohn Frieda's Frizz Ease 3 Day Straight, this is the best stuff ever! I have naturally wavy (we're talking dead perm kinda hair here ) and this product is the bomb! I LOVE it! My hair is so nice & straight without using the flat iron! Just blow dry using my brushes with the metal sleeves & my hair is so straight & incredibly soft & not at all stiff! It doesn't feel like your hair is loaded with product!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!