Quantcast Some help from the POR and POFQ pros?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some help from the POR and POFQ pros?

Okay, my family is booked at POR for September, but now I am starting to have some questions about whether that is the best choice for us. Initially, we had to book here, because we are a family of 6 (our twins are only 2, so we count as 5 and an infant). Now, more of our extended family are joining us, so my parents could easily take our twins in their room (won't change pricing), and we would then be free to go to any moderate and any section of that moderate. On top of this, my kids have now seen pictures of the pool at POFQ and think it looks much more exciting than the one at POR. So my questions are these:
    1. If I understand it correctly, needing the trundle (which we don't necessarily need anymore) limits us to Alligator Bayou. Would someone want this to be the case? Is there a benefit to this section over the very pretty Mansions?
    2. We don't relish tons of walking with 4 children after the parks, so, is this a HUGE resort? Could the walk from our room to get a cup of coffee possibly be extremely long?
    3. Is there a building at POR that is close to both the food court and a pool?
    4. Is POFQ a smaller resort, and would we be better suited there?

These questions may be too subjective, but we would love any advice/opinions on our situation. We have stayed at CBR and CSR and loved them both, granted we had rooms very close to the food! Thanks so much!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

POR isn't as spread out as CBR, so if you did okay at CBR, you'll be fine at POR. Plus, it sounds like the trundle bed will still be very helpful to you.

The good news is that you can still go to the POFQ pool even if you are at POR. While pool hopping is not allowed with most resorts, POFQ and POR are considered "sister" resorts and guests at one are allowed to use the amenities at the other. So, you can stay at POR, which will give you the room you need and the fun stuff for the kids, but can still use the POFQ pool.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at both POR and POFQ, and have fallen in love with POFQ.

There is nothing at all wrong with POR. We stayed in building 15, which was perfect. It had a quiet pool (and laundry) behind it, was a short walk to the main building and the main pool and bus stop. It was quiet and we felt like we really got a break from the parks when we were back at the resort. We stayed in the Bayou section, and it was more than fine. I've never stayed in the Mansions, and don't feel like I'm missing anything special. You are correct that trundle beds are only located at AB.

Our fear of staying at POR again is being put in a building really far away from the main one. But, you can pay a bit more for a "preferred" location, so that won't happen. Even if you are "far away", there are bus stops around the resort.

DH saw POFQ on the boat trip to DTD and he fell in love. POFQ is a lot smaller, with all of the buildings only being a short walk (at most) from the main building, pool and bus stop.

So, we stay at POFQ, but visit POR at least a couple of times, for the pool (better slide) and bigger food court.

Either way, you can't go wrong!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mind the walks and there are plenty of bus stops. The walk to the main building i enjoyed. Kinda peaceful and help gather your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Having stayed many times at POR with kids, then making a switch to POFQ, we are now converts! Will never stay at POR again. The sheer size of POR is daunting, and with kids, almost unmanageable at times. We were in alligator bayou, as far away from the main building as you can get. Although it is very pretty, and the walkways are lovely, after two days, we were ready to throw in the towel! POFQ is so compact, that although the food court and shopping area is smaller, the smaller resort was SO much nicer. Just my 2 cents...
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for all of the great information! You have given me a lot to consider. I really appreciate the first-hand accounts that you can't get from just reading resort descriptions! Now I can discuss it with the whole family and then decide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    Our fear of staying at POR again is being put in a building really far away from the main one. But, you can pay a bit more for a "preferred" location, so that won't happen. Even if you are "far away", there are bus stops around the resort.
    WE figured this out. In the morning, leave your room for breakfast at the main building ready to go to the parks. You can always brush your teeth in the washrooms at the main building if you want. Then just head out to the main bus stop and hop on a bus. Pack your refillable mugs and tooth brushes in your bag and away you go. That way you avoid the double walk back and forth from your room. And, that bus stop is also the first one, so in most cases you should get a seat.

Even at that, the walk around POR isn't that great. The whole walk around the resort is about a mile, and there are direct paths to many of the buildings.

As Ibelieveindisneymagic says, we also fell in love with POFQ, mainly for the size and convenience, but also for the theming.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at both POR & POFQ.. POR was first and I loved it there but it is HUGE!! We go during a slow week in November and they still put us in the furthest room possible in Alligator Bayou Building #27. The only good thing was that we had the West Depot bus stop literally right outside of our rooms. There are 4 bus stops at POR so that can take kinda long to get to a park.

My mother and I stayed at POFQ the following year, and from the moment I walked off the DME bus I fell in love with the resort. It is sooo much smaller so no matter what building you are in, you are close to everything. The colors of the resort are gorgeous and the atmosphere is just so cozy and cute.. the cobblestone streets with the streetsigns everywhere are really neat! The entire week we stayed there, the place felt empty and quiet. It was quite relaxing when coming back from the parks to nap or swim before our 2nd wind at the parks. All of POFQ has refurbed rooms now w/ queen sized beds... the rooms look so amazing!! We absolutely love the boat to DTD! That is a great perk for both POR & POFQ to have. I really liked the giftshop at POR better though, but that is not a main concern at all lol. There is only 1 bus stop at FQ, so that is always nice. When the two resorts do share busses (they don't always), POFQ picks up and drops off first.

I think you will be happy if you switch to POFQ. Let us know what you decide to do!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say thanks again for all of the insights about the POR and POFQ resorts! We took all of it into consideration, but I have to say, Tinkerbella16, you should go into sales!! As my sister put it, "you had us at cobblestone streets!" So we decided to switch over to POFQ, and we are all feeling very excited about it. So, if we don't think it's totally awesome, it's on you Tinkerbella16! I am soooo kidding! Thanks again for all of the help. I just love the Intercot community!

Post Thanks / Like

POFQ is very compact, but I really don't think POR was all that huge. Then again, I was forced to carry my sleeping 6yo from the bus to the room a couple of times, and that made the walk seem a lot longer...lol.

A lot of people think the Alligator Bayou sections are too "rustic" for their tastes. We got a Mansions room and liked it, but when I saw the decor for AB, I was actually a little envious. It reminds me of the Wilderness Lodge.

I would recommend keeping POR, BUT if you should decide to change, I think you will also like POFQ. I think your decision will be a no lose situation. Have a great vacation.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sillydisneymommy View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks again for all of the insights about the POR and POFQ resorts! We took all of it into consideration, but I have to say, Tinkerbella16, you should go into sales!! As my sister put it, "you had us at cobblestone streets!" So we decided to switch over to POFQ, and we are all feeling very excited about it. So, if we don't think it's totally awesome, it's on you Tinkerbella16! I am soooo kidding! Thanks again for all of the help. I just love the Intercot community!
    I am glad I could help! That is awesome!!! I'm not really worried about it being on me, because I am really confident that you will love it there!! hahaha! I cannot wait to go back!! POFQ has turned in to my home resort now because we loved it so much!!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This was such a helpful thread to read. We're booked for PORFQ next March and its our first time staying on property and I'm just convinced we're going to love it! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BibbidiBoo'sMom View Post
    This was such a helpful thread to read. We're booked for PORFQ next March and its our first time staying on property and I'm just convinced we're going to love it! Thanks!

BibbidiBoo'sMom, welcome to INTERCOT!
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

POFQ sounds better for you. pretty much anywhere you stay there will be close to get your drinks and food. The pool at FQ is better for babies and small children. The POR is a better pool for older children. The slide at POR is faster and more intense. The playground at POFQ is a little more equipped to handle smaller children, as well. I preferred the looks of POFQ but we had similar issues with group sizing as you but our children were older. I didnt like the trundles i thought they took up too much of the room and it always seemed to be out. I would rather the kids just be on a bed. Personally, I wont ever stay at either of these resorts again unless it earns me free dining. I wasnt impressed with the style at all and would much prefer to stay value than at this resort.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed in POR a few years ago and were really dissappointed. It is our least favorite resort next to ASM. The buildings are sometimes quite far from the main building and you kind of have to criss cross to get over to the bridge to there. The pool area just seemed very small and too shady (especially kiddie pool). My DH was pretty excited about the "fishing hole", but was really dissappointed when we saw the area. Many times when we were waiting for the bus it was completely full by the time it got to the resort and just drove by. We asked to be near an elevator and I think they put us as far away as they could. The only things that we did like were the gift shop and the boat to DTD. We wanted to try the carriage ride, but we didn't have time. After reading this thread, my next moderate to try will be POFQ!
    Off-site - 1984, 1988 (2)
    Disneyland - 1993
    All Star Movies - 1999
    All Star Music - 2002
    Polynesian - 2006
    Coronado Springs - 2007
    Port Orleans Riverside - 2008
    Caribbean Beach - 2009
    Pop Century- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Disney Dream - 2013
    Yacht Club 2015

Share This Thread On Social Media: