Quantcast Poll question, Does John need a time out?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Does John need a time out?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give John a time out

5 25.00%
  • John has the right to have over inflated expectations of every aspect of his Disney vacation

7 35.00%
  • It was Gary that was throwing the tantrum

8 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Poll question, Does John need a time out?

In reference to Episode 19 and the monorail discussion, does John need a time out?

When my 4 year old son starts having a tantrum because he wants everything every handed to him, every second of the day, he gets a nice time out. Does John need a time out????

Gary, you rock!! I got your back on this one.
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't vote since;

No - He simply wants what he pays for --- was not an option.

You might want to listen again. It was Gary having a tantrum.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

You do realize I can delete accounts right?

If I was thowing a tantrum, then as Carol said, Gary was as well.

Ooops - looks like someone edited the poll!

Thanks for listening
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate someone speaking for the monorail deluxe fans. It's not exactly expecting things handed to you when you're paying that kind of money for a room based in large part on location and transportation ease. Changing the transportation options does offer some cause for concern. I'm willing to see how it works out, but it's definitely not sounding like a good thing right now.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Trust me, John, or Gary or whomever isnt the only one concerned about getting what they pay for. And as Disney keeps raising prices, and taking stuff away, you will see the chorus growing larger and louder...but then again, as someone put it on another thread, if you dont like it, dont go! If enough people stop going, eventully disney will get the message...or they will shut down the parks, which if that happens, I see Walt Disney thawing out and going after some people will a really big stick!

Just my 2 pennys worth!
    I am addicted!
    9-08 Caribbean Beach Resort (Honeymoon)
    1-09 All-Star Sports
    12-09 Pop Century
    5-10 Pop Century
    3-11 All-Star Sports
    7-11 Wilderness Lodge
    3-12 Port Orleans Riverside
    5-12 Pop Century
    12-12 Saratoga Springs
    DVC Member since 2012!

Post Thanks / Like

While I think John deserves a time out for many reasons (I'll send you a list), I understand his point. Even if I disagree with it. I'm just glad we were in different states because I think he would have slapped me with a glove and challenged me to a duel.

Actually, listening back to it I'm glad we had that debate. I think it proves how different everyone views their time at Disney and what their needs are. I think it's easy to forget how different we all are because we all share this same (expensive) habit that we fail to realize what is important to others.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone needed a time out, but that's a funny way of putting it.

I honestly wonder if the Monorail is REALLY the best form of transportation for those three resorts. Think about it.

The walk to/from the Contemporary beats the monorail every time.

The boats (either ferry or resort launch) are a faster way to reach the Grand Floridian and Polynesian than the monorail.

Truly, the only benefit to the monorail is when heading directly to MK from GF or heading directly to CR from MK. If you are doing anything else, the boats or walking are faster.

Plus, if they take away the monorail for JUST those three hours, I guarantee a bus will be the FASTEST way to get back to the resort. It's like the Wilderness Lodge. You have the boat to MK which takes AGES, or the direct bus which takes 5 min. So what if it's a bus? It's efficient transportation.

I think the REAL question is, will Disney's "alternate" means of transportation be as fast as the monorail (which is to say, not that fast)? Time will tell. As long as they don't rely solely on the tiny resort launches, and they provide enough buses, I don't see what the big deal is.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Having gone since 1974, I can assure you that even cast members call them "monorail resorts". Whether it's the official nomenclature may be one thing but it certainly is a selling point.

If it's not, just take out the track and replace it with asphalt and a dedicated bus route. See how that goes over.

Oh, and even if I'm staying at the contemporary, I'm still taking the monorail. If it's in the station, I don't think you're beating it to the lobby walking. Granted, it is an easy walk.

At the anniversary party next year, we may have to do some timed samples to see which way really is faster. I question your assesment Nat. To go to the poly from the MK, you have to stop at the GF first. My guess would be the travel times would be similar.

BTW, boats aren't air conditioned. Nothing better than riding on the highway in the sky in cool comfort after a long day.

And you made my point for me. 3 hours. Why tick people off for 3 hours that happens only once a week and ONLY during peak times. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    And you made my point for me. 3 hours. Why tick people off for 3 hours that happens only once a week and ONLY during peak times.
    And that was my point (although I know I'm not good at asserting it). It's ONLY once a week and during peak times.

Post Thanks / Like

So Bummed I missed this show
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Ooops - looks like someone edited the poll!
    I voted.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Oy.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I honestly wonder if the Monorail is REALLY the best form of transportation for those three resorts. Think about it.

Plus, if they take away the monorail for JUST those three hours, I guarantee a bus will be the FASTEST way to get back to the resort. It's like the Wilderness Lodge. You have the boat to MK which takes AGES, or the direct bus which takes 5 min. So what if it's a bus? It's efficient transportation.

I think the REAL question is, will Disney's "alternate" means of transportation be as fast as the monorail (which is to say, not that fast)? Time will tell. As long as they don't rely solely on the tiny resort launches, and they provide enough buses, I don't see what the big deal is.
    Well, I'm waiting to see. It might be okay, as you say. It might even be faster. It might not. My hesitation with it is the doubt that they will be as efficient with the bus service as they are with the monorail. Will buses come regularly enough? Will the boats now be mobbed? Will buses be too crowded and will I have to wait for the next bus? When they cut down the boat docking areas and stopped using the one that was GF/Poly specific at the one end, it definitely made the boat less efficient and a less pleasant option. There is more of a crowd to wait for that boat.

And I realize it sounds whiny and like no big deal to people who don't regularly stay at these resorts, but small transportation changes can make big differences there. And I am used to staying there and I like it because it's never a big deal- transportation is always easy, efficient, lots of options. I've stayed moderate and that was not the case. At all. Waits for buses, overcrowded buses, no other option without having your own car. Because it's only during EMH, I'm optimistic that it turns out to be not a big deal. Time will tell.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Default I take back this thread

After further investigation, I have found evidence that John has a legitimate beef with this monorail issue.(though he seems to have alot of beefs; coffee, ticketing, refillable mugs,monorails)
    From Disney's Polynesian website
    "Complimentary transportation is available one hour prior to Disney Theme Park opening time up to one hour after Disney Theme Park closing time. Additionally, buses operate until 2:00 a.m. from the Downtown Disney Area. Certain areas of Walt Disney World Resort are also connected by well-lit, paved, low-grade walking paths."

The part that says "up to one hour after Disney Theme Park closing time" is vague and subject to interpretation. It does not explictly say it WILL stay open 1 hour after close, is says "up to" which could mean it shuts down 1 second after park closing or not even make it to closing time.
    So, I concede that John has a legitamate beef after reviewing the evidence. Episode 20 "Where's the beef!!"
    Gary is still the man though.
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've stayed at the CR three times in the recent past. On every trip, the monorail was less than stellar at getting us around. The absolute worst is trying to get back to the CR from Epcot, of all places, via monorail. It's a trip that takes over 30 min. I wish there was a direct bus for that route, for one.

But I digress.

On my last trip, I chose to take a boat from MK to the Poly one afternoon. I videotaped the trip. Took under 7 minutes. And, for what it's worth, I beat the resort monorail that pulled into the MK station a minute after the boat I was on left the dock. That monorail was stopped just outside the CR for at least 4 minutes while our boat chugged on towards the Poly. So, I say, it all evens out in the end, usually.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

As I travel on most trips with someone who uses a wheelchair, I will say the the monorail is the quickest and fastest option in this case, even over walking at CR. It is definitely more comfortable to use the monorail than to push my Mom to CR in the heat (she is very uncomfortable using an ECV in MK as she thinks she will accidentally run over a small child ). We were there last July until 2 AM with Mom and stayed at the GF. I know she would not have liked having to deal with a bus at 2 AM.

Remember, the boats to GF and Poly do not accommodate wheelchairs rolling on. If you are going to force her to use a bus, why should I book there ?
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

That whole exchange was funny... I agreed with Gary and thought John was overboard (ha ha). Interesting what is important to all of us. If WDW removed a "favorite" of mine I would be passionate as John!
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't listened back to this podcast (I lived it ), but were Carol, Michael and I just not as passionate about our opinion? Sounds like we weren't even in the conversation. lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Just playing catch-up & listened to Ep19 on my way in to work this morning. Although I'm only 43 minutes in, it's definitely a spirited debate which I side more to John's point of view than Gary's on this one. If I'm spending my money for a monorail resort anytime during the year, but especially during peak summer pricing (my choice, I know) - I expect said transportation to get me where I need to go if I'm visiting a park in the evening. After all, it's not being marketed to me as a boat & bus resort . . . and they aren't charging me like a boat & bus resort, either.

One thing I would like to point out is that if you were staying at a monorail resort for a week in July of this year, you would have the opportunity to participate in no less than two evening EMH at MK (Sunday & Friday) and one evening EMH at Epcot (Tuesday). Therefore, three of seven of your nights would be inconvenienced by no monorail transportation back to your monorail resort if you stayed for yet another perk they're hugely marketing to their guests, which is EMH. Whether the park is open until 11 pm when it closes at 8 during non-peak times, or 3 am when it's open until midnight during peak times, I believe they need to provide the preferred method of transportation to their guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I haven't listened back to this podcast (I lived it ), but were Carol, Michael and I just not as passionate about our opinion? Sounds like we weren't even in the conversation. lol!
    Of course you three were passionate - however, it seems Gary & John had the louder mics.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Gary. Still a fan of the Fire & Math comment on the Podcast. Voted for John. For the following reason (which I also posted to a thread on the News & Rumors forum) -

I'm staying at BLT from November 12-19 and this would affect me greatly. There is only one night that the MK closes (regular hours) after 8 p.m that entire week. Regular hours for MK are either 7 or 8 p.m. (except the 12th), for DHS it is 8 p.m. every night and AK is 5 p.m. every night. So EPCOT is the only park open after 8 p.m. (excluding EMH) pretty much every night that week.

When I stay at a resort on the monorail, I tend to go to MK or EPCOT more than the other parks. Others may do the same thing. That will probably compel GF, CR, BLT and Poly guests to go to EPCOT once the MK closes, because of the ease of using the monorail. When the MK closes at 7 p.m., I like to zip on over to EPCOT for Illuminations and maybe some last minute rides. So the monorail can get people to EPCOT, but they're stuck at the TTC after EPCOT closing. Poly guests are excepted since their resort is right next to the TTC.

At first, it didn't seem a big deal, but now I am seeing that it will affect myself and others a lot more. The CR, BLT and GF guests will have to do a boat/walk combination or just take a LONG walk. So to get back to BLT, I have to take a boat to MK (if they're still running - what if it's not a MVMCP night) and then walk to BLT. My 71 y.o. dad is coming with us and due to back and knee issues can't do walks like that most days.

Right now when parks are open late, you won't see much of an effect. But when the parks cut back their hours in the fall and the lack of monorails after 8 or 9 p.m., there will be a lot more complaints. So the effect won't just be felt on the one night a week when the MK has EMH.

I'm staying at a monorail resort because it is a monorail resort. I'm paying for a monorail resort. I don't want to deal with buses and I plan to drive to AK. On our last trip I was on a packed bus and the guy standing in front of me was texting and when the bus turned he landed on the woman sitting next to me. What if that was one of my kids? So the monorail is my preferred mode of transportation for which I paid greatly.

Yes, WDW has said that it was temporary, but since they haven't provided a ending date I'm going to assume that it will be in effect for a while.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: