Quantcast Social Security/Disability

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Social Security/Disability

I heard on the news that they may cancel the August payments for Social Security/Disability.

I can't believe how many .... billions of citizens rely on those payments as their only income. Myself and father included.

Do you really think that could happen? My father doesn't think it will happen and if it does that the country will fall apart.

Can the government get their act together????
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't live in the States, but how could they possibly do that? As previously mentioned many people rely on those payments.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Can it happen... surely it can

will it happen... i would be SHOCKED if it actually did.

What makes me so angry is that NONE of those making the decisions effecting millions of struggling americans are going to have any loss of sleep (or money) because of this.

its absolutely ridiculous

as a friend said, "Instead of threatening to withhold Social Security payments of people who really need the money....Lets hold the paycheck's of all house & senate members, then see how fast it is resolved!!!!!"

my reply, "Silly American, that would be inconvenient for the politicians... They have 4 mortgages to pay for... you only have one! Not to mention I highly doubt your Yacht payments are as high as theirs. They need their paychecks more than you!"

Total insanity.

I hope they don't skip payments.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

This is my area of expertise.

I promise you. There are too many Americans (who are very vocal) and those who are advocates for them who will not allow this happen.

Older Adults will not be compromised!
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Posturing... Meant to do exactly what it's doing to you... When all said and done, someone comes out looking like a hero and gets (re-)elected.
    Last edited by Imalismom; 07-16-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: fixed for original poster :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UCJen View Post
    This is my area of expertise.

I promise you. There are too many Americans (who are very vocal) and those who are advocates for them who will not allow this happen.

Older Adults will not be compromised!
    This is good to hear! My dad is among them! Plus disabled after a very bad fall that left him paralyzed all except for one arm It's his sole source of support.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I am one who gets a disabilty check every month from the VA. I have seen this before. I look at it as a "carrot" being held over certain people - a do what I want or else...

It has never come to pass before, and I don't think it will happen this time.....
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

Well, according to what has been said in the past social security was supposed to be a "lock box". So I doubt it will happen, I think it's a statement being put out there to scare and rile people into contacting their senators.

Can it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Probably not.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with above.

Tell Congress to go without paychecks until they get their act together.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree this is all posturing and has no basis in reality. Unfortunately many people, including several on this board, believe it can happen. They won't let it happen.

A sobering thought for all of us-- hopefully we realize that for every dime we spend more than we take in, we are basically stealing from our kids and grandkids. No one seems to be upset about that. We're all just worried about our own skin. That's what really bothers me.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    I can't believe how many .... billions of citizens rely on those payments as their only income. Myself and father included.
    I don't mean to be picky, but there are only about 310 million citizens in the United States.

There are actually about 60,000,000 people in the U.S. on Social Security of one kind or another.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I don't mean to be picky, but there are only about 310 million citizens in the United States.

There are actually about 60,000,000 people in the U.S. on Social Security of one kind or another.
    60 million is still a pretty big number! Let's not forget the military won't be paid, either.

My mother, who is retired and collects Social Security, is not in danger. That is because my parents originally devised their budgets based off their social security checks and my Mom's pension. Now my Mom just get my Dad's check (his check was bigger) and her pension. She can access her 401k or my father's 401k money, which is not used for day to day living expenses. Many seniors aren't as fortunate and rely on Social Security to survive.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Disney4us2;2188985]

probably was counting the illegal aliens getting it, who have never put one cent into it.now before you go bashing me ,my ancestors came from england back in the 1700's before this was the USA .most of us are descendants of immigrants .my great ,great ,great great grandfather is buried in a little cemetary 5 miles from where i grew up.now im not against some one coming here to better themselves but learn the language and contibute before you expect to get something. by the time i can get ss(in 12 years) im sure it will be gone because our leaders have no problem giving it to those who dont deserve it.

Post Thanks / Like

MODERATOR REMINDER:

Please remember INTERCOT is not the place for political discussions. If this thread veers that way - it will be closed.

Thanks.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=micky95;2190327]

probably was counting the illegal aliens getting it, who have never put one cent into it.
    Unless they are paid cash, Social Security is deducted from their paychecks and they cannot receive benefits. So, in fact, they are helping to keep the system afloat.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    MODERATOR REMINDER:

Please remember INTERCOT is not the place for political discussions. If this thread veers that way - it will be closed.

Thanks.
    Sorryi broke my own rule of never discussing politics or religion. ill show my frustation at the polls come election time again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    A sobering thought for all of us-- hopefully we realize that for every dime we spend more than we take in, we are basically stealing from our kids and grandkids. No one seems to be upset about that. We're all just worried about our own skin. That's what really bothers me.
    Well said. When placing blame, most people like to point the fingers at others when many should be pointing towards themselves.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Odds are they'll come to some sort of deal before they skip out on SS payments, those folks don't want to upset too many voters.

I crushed my back about ten years ago and my legs have been paralyzed ever since so I qualified for SS Disability. After about a year I decided that if I couldn't use my body I could still use my brain to make a living so I went back to school and found work work given my condition. Best decision I ever made. I don't receive the SS any more, but even on the days when my back hurts from the rods in it I don't have to worry about what happens when Washington finally learns how to do math.

Has this thread made anyone else all about something? PM me if you want to know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a quote with my name in Altair's post. Please read my original post. There is no mention of illegal aliens in my post. Just want to set the record straight. Somehow I was miss quoted.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a quote with my name in Altair's post.
    The quote should have been from Micky95, sorry.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: