Quantcast Travel agent or DIY

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Travel agent or DIY

Some people swear by travel agents and others say they're notorious for screwing up vacation plans.

I'm going the DIY route. Am I missing anything by not using an agent?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, some travel agents can make a mess of things BUT....not Magical Journeys, they do nothing but Disney and they are awesome. I have actually gotten a refund on a booked trip because they got me a better deal after I was booked.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

As the previous poster said, some travel agents can really make a mess of things, but I too swear by Magical Journeys. They have been fantastic to work with and I never have to wonder if I'm getting the best deal. They watch for the discounts for me, so all I do is reap the benefits. Definitely give them the opportunity to give you a quote ....you have nothing to lost and may save money!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We never do anything complicated, so we might very well get along doing everything ourselves ... but we don't. We let Magical Journeys do it for us.

If for no other reason that they will look out for the discounts and special plans and arrangements that we may not see, we let them manage things.

We are extremely happy with the arrangement. Why don't you give them a try? It won't cost you any extra, and they may have some ideas you haven't thought of (and plans and discounts of which you may not be aware).
    Last edited by btharvey; 06-21-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: additional info.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!!!

In general, I don't like travel agents because I can do what they do on my own. However, since becoming a member of Intercot back in 2004 and first hearing about Magical Journeys I won't book my Disney trip any way but through MJ (and you'll find a LOT of threads on here about them). The reasons I use MJ as opposed to doing it myself now:

1.) I talk to the same person every time. Wendy at MJ became my agent in 2004 and she's still my agent. She's the only one I talk to, she knows me, my family, and our preferences, and it's wonderful to have that relationship through the years for every trip. When you DIY you're talking to a different CM every time. Some are great, some not so much, but it's always different. Or you're on the website which is no help at all.
    2.) The second big reason is discounts. Because we usually book our trips more than 6 months out there often isn't a discount released yet for our time frame when we book. We book with the hope that one will eventually be released (at least an AP). MJ keeps track of all their clients' upcoming vacations. If a discount is released that benefits you, they automatically change your reservation to save you the money without any hassle on your part. Often the first I hear of a new discount is an email from Wendy telling me how much I saved. No time spent or hassle on my part trying to change it and apply the discount myself.
    3.) It doesn't cost a penny to use MJ. They are paid commission from Disney.
    4.)They are so knowledgeable about Disney that Wendy sometimes thinks of solutions that I don't (even with all I know about Disney) that ends up a better deal for me.

So, all I have to do is focus on planning my trip and all the hassles are handled by Wendy. It's a win-win situation all the way around (and using MJ helps support Intercot since they are a sponsor).
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I always plan my trip myself, as you plan to do.

If you do your research and use common sense, you will be fine. You know yourself better than anyone else and can obsess over as many of the details as you like (half the fun for me!).

Codes are public and are easy to find!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

STRMCHSR was right on.
    You can still plan your travel and dining options on your own, but as far as the room ressie, Magical Journeys is the way to go.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the deal...

There is a commission on a vacation. It get's paid out regardless of if you do it yourself or have someone else do it. If a TA does it, they keep the commission, if you call Disney "directly", they keep it. Psst, you're not actualy calling Disney, you're calling Disney's Travel Company which is how they keep the commission. Regardless, it's part of the price, and YOU ARE paying for it.

If you call MJ for a quote, I'm fairly certain they will give you the same price as if you called yourself and Disney Travel gave you a quote.

So then, for me it boils down to a decision I make. And quite frankly, it's "Do I think the person making my reservation deserves that money or not?" It might sound harsh, but that's how I think.

Last time I actually saw the numbers, for a cruise a while back (mid 90's), almost $800 of the fare was commission. That was a $5000+ cruise, so I'm guessing the commission is like 15%.

Does the TA deserve that much money for doing what I can do myself. And, in the above scenario, they didn't. After we booked the cruise, they offered very little support, we hardly heard from them, and had difficulty after the cruise because they had changed focus and no longer did that type of travel.

Since then, I've just done everything myself. Being DVC there's not much a TA can do for me with Disney trips (and frankly if I'm not planning them, I have zero need). I booked my upcoming cruise directly through the cruise line and I have no problems with them.

Now, MJ seems to be an exception. I'm hearing a lot of good things and I've mentioned them to others looking to book. I don't know if anyone has taken me up on that advice, but I still recommend. Do they deserve that commission? Sounds like they might.

Like I said, you ARE paying the commission regardless, it's just a matter of who gets it, and if their services warrant them getting that. In Disney's case, I think you're better off going through a travel agent like MJ over AAA or some other mom and pop shop who are only after the commission. Remember, the more you spend, the more the commission, so it's really not in their best financial interest to save you money. As mentioned, MJ seems to be the exception. I don't think Disney Travel deserves the commission, when you hang up the phone, they are on to other reservations, you WILL NOT hear back from them regarding lower fares, discounts, etc.

That's my two cents...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Like I said, you ARE paying the commission regardless, it's just a matter of who gets it, and if their services warrant them getting that. In Disney's case, I think you're better off going through a travel agent like MJ over AAA or some other mom and pop shop who are only after the commission. Remember, the more you spend, the more the commission, so it's really not in their best financial interest to save you money. As mentioned, MJ seems to be the exception.
    Can't say I really know anyone who will work for nothing so, of course, TAs receive a commission. Magical Journeys deserves every penny they get. They will always get the best deal for you (lowest price and any offers) regardless of commission. I wouldn't book any other way.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to join the chorus and support MJ.

I have been using Wendy for years. I heard about MJ on INTERCOT when I first started lurking here.

I do not like to call into Disney to make reservations since I am usually playing with several scenarios and I want time to mull it over.

I do use the Disney website to check prices but I am not a big fan of the website. It take too long to give me the information I need. Wendy can send me one email with all my options.

It is also very nice to get an email saying a new discount has come out and it it taken care of.

Wendy also send me park hours, keeps track of when I can first reserve dining, and sends special event information if one falls during my trip.

So could I do it myself? Sure. But why take the time when I have someone who takes care of me so well.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Magical Journeys for Disney.

Travel I DIY (air or land).

I could plan the whole thing myself, but it takes a lot of time to look up discounts, call, call again, look for new deals, call again, change plans, look up different discounts, call again, etc.

I have my own job - Disney vacation planning is MJ's job and they do it well.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been a DIY person, but then I've always been fortunate enough to catch a promotion or discount for the time we want to visit. I also enjoy the planning part.

However, if I weren't able to catch a discount, or spend the time I'd like to be able to on booking and planning, I'd definitely give Magical Journeys a try, based upon recommendations here.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool TA or DIY?

DIY....you get what you get.

Magical Journeys.... you get the BEST You Can Get!

Debbie at MJ is the BEST! I change my mind, change my dates, add the Dining Package, add another night, add another night.
    (I do that a lot)

Email Debbie at MJ.

DONE.

I WOULD DO DISNEY - No Other Way.
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Well, time is money. If you DIY, it takes a lot of time. And, if you call Disney, you have to pay for that call...

I have been using MJ for years. GREAT personalized service and they do it faster than I can (or, rather, it saves me time...they still have to spend the time doing it, but it's their job!).

I used to be a DIY'er (and still am, for every other type of travel I take), but when it comes to WDW, I use MJ and won't DIY anymore...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been a committed DIYer, so please believe me when I say - MJ - Wendy. Use the time you save to plan your park visits, activities, and meals. By the time Wendy is done applying every possible discount, you'll have more money to go along with your extra time. You'll have had the fun without the headaches.
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Can you have more than one discount? I always figured if I got the package I wanted, i.e. free dining at a value, that I couldn't apply any more discounts on top of that.

Now, I understand that if you book with MJ and weren't able to get any discounts, or didn't get the one you prefered, they're the ideal way to book and get it changed if a new discount comes up. But are they able to get you multiple discounts?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you use MJ even if you are not in USA? I posted a question about flghts on this board, and someone from MJ kindly came up with a very helpful answer. I think I would like to use them to make my next reservation if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We swear by Magical Journeys... our first trip was a DIY trip, and I swear we probably missed out on some great deal b/c of it. (and we used an agent for our airfare, not knowing any better, and that TOTALLY messed us up... but no worries there w/ MJ, as they don't do airfare. )

Like the pp's have said, they're wonderful - always well aware of the deals before the rest of us (you'd think sometimes they're aware of them before Disney even announces them... ) and I've woken up to an e-mail saying "You've saved $$$" many times!

Can't beat 'em!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Can you have more than one discount? I always figured if I got the package I wanted, i.e. free dining at a value, that I couldn't apply any more discounts on top of that.

Now, I understand that if you book with MJ and weren't able to get any discounts, or didn't get the one you prefered, they're the ideal way to book and get it changed if a new discount comes up. But are they able to get you multiple discounts?
    Basic booking is the same - no multiple discounts. However, they are very good at doing the math to figure out which is the best value for your family.

Remember, too that discounts when released are limited. After being shut out of A/P discounts for the resorts of our choice a few different times, we began using MJ in 2006 for our annual trips. While I love planning everything myself, it's a no-brainer to turn my room only reservation (or package) over to them.

Oftentimes, Terrisue ends up changing our reservation a few times to get us the best deal possible. Even though my ears are always tuned to specials, they always find about them before I do! To me, the biggest compliment is in a referral - and I've referred many of my friends & co-workers to MJ, knowing they'll be in good hands.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody's made such a great case for using Magical Journeys, I think I might look into it.

Thanks all.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: