Quantcast 'Ohana and Walk Ups

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Ohana and Walk Ups

Is there even a snowballs chance???

It is my poor planning that we were not able to get an ADR. We only booked our trip 30 days out this time. Has anyone had any luck walking up (say right at restaurant opening)? We don't really care about the time we go... I just wondered if it is possible and if anyone has had first hand experience.

We did have luck at Cape May last trip. The dining number said no availability but we walked up to the podium and they told us 45 minutes and we got it.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check out this post which was introduced a few days ago. Looks like there is a totally different procedure for trying to get a walk-up here, and I guess it would depend on how badly you want to dine - and potentially wait - for Ohana.

New Walk-Up Procedure for Ohana
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow, thanks! I don't know if it's worth all that time. Yikes. I remember when it was not popular and you could have your pick of times (many years ago!). I have often wondered why they do not open it up for lunch since the high demand... I am sure many people visiting MK would love to hop on the monorail and have lunch there.

I appreciate the info and the 3 hours of my vacation time saved!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

I have often wondered why they do not open it up for lunch since the high demand... I am sure many people visiting MK would love to hop on the monorail and have lunch there.
    I've thought the same of Chef Mickey's, too. I'll be curious to see how this unfolds in the coming weeks/months and what potential changes they're going to make.

Regardless, I'm sorry you've been shut-out this trip. Keep trying, you never know when you'll happen upon a cancellation!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I think a sign saying "No Walk ups at this time" Check back at _____ (something they can fill in based on the day's ADR's) would be a whole lot more efficient.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    I think a sign saying "No Walk ups at this time" Check back at _____ (something they can fill in based on the day's ADR's) would be a whole lot more efficient.
    Right? The new process seems so complicated.

Post Thanks / Like

Call it a very good stike of luck but......One morning while on vacation my DH and I decided to call Disney Reservations and see if they might have any openings for that night for dinner. They did have an opening at around 9 that night. Needless to say we jumped at it! If you can't get a reservation before you leave just keep trying while you there. You never know what might happen.
    Also cute and fluffy!!!!!
    Blue punch-buggy, no punch back!

Post Thanks / Like

awesome....
    heck, i was happy just to have a reservation 180 days out.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an update...I'm the perturbed OP of the other thread regarding the new policy at Ohana.

We went last night...spur of the moment, DD was invited to a friend's house and we had a night to ourselves. So DH and i went and stood in the bottom-dweller's waiting area, the line of misfits, in our shame for not having ADRs LOL!

I got to the podium about 4:15 and was 5th in line. The standby que filled quickly! The ADR que started to filter in around 4:45. As the new policy states they seated everyone in the ADR line...fine. I agree that's fair EXCEPT when the reservation line was empty, the guy who was first in the standby line said to the cm "aren't you going to come to us now? The ADR line is empty?" and the host said "No, we have to wait to allow anyone who may be running late a chance to make their ADR"" WHAT? NO! you snooze you lose! They give you fair warning on the reservation system to allow 1 hour transportation time and to arrive 15 min early. If you can't do that, tough cookies...come join us in our line!

So that went over like a lead balloon. The standby guests started to talk and it was very hostile. People were comiserating and "what are you in for" with each other. We and the couple ahead of us were in for being spontaneous locals. The couple on the other side of us? Their crime was they didn't know until their tax refund came that they were coming...way too inside of 180 days. Another family? Tried 180 days out but not til noon...all booked by then. Another man, he didn't even speak...he just played his harmonica and made chalk hash marks on the railing We were an ugly sad group! LOL And no one was understanding this new podium law and the lack of sense or fairness with the "waiting for ADRs, not by order, but by size, can't even get a pager and sit...must stand the entire time or you lose!" thing.

I finally decided to speak up and said to the others that I had done this over Memorial day weekend and that you will not get a pager or be seated in order of the line, but rather by party size they are looking to fill. The guy who had been standing there since 3:45 was NONE to happy about that, and rightly so .

So after allowing everyone from that wave of ADR's more than enough time to show (and only one more party did), the cm came to us lowly beggars at the standby line. THe CM wanted a party of 6. WAY down the line by the monorail, a lucky party of six start to rejoice like they had just won the publisher's clearinghouse sweepstakes! And they walked by us all, wishing us luck. I'm NOT kidding! The dad said, "hang in there! Hope we see you inside"

One more wave of ADR's come and go...the cm approaches the standby line. He says "how many in your party? Now I've been talking to these folks for over an hour. I look at them and said, "how ever many you want us to be, right guys?" The host smiled and said "can you come up with 8?" I looked at the two couples I've been talking to and they said, "why not? it's like a cruise- you can sit with other folks!"

Then we needed two more...I looked at the ppl past the other couple and said "you in?" They said yes, but we have our mother too! That would make 9

The host said no problem, they could pull up a chair and away we went! The only thing that would have made it more awesome would have been if we'd linked arms ! LOL!!! And maybe thumbed our noses at the manager (same one I talked to last weekend) as we passed by! As a side note to that manager...he gave me his card and said if I knew we were coming up and didn't have an ADR, to call him and he'd get us in. That rubbed me the wrong way...Getting in to dinner should be waiting in an orderly fashion not pulling strings and who you know? But part of me would love to call and see if he really would do it...because I don't think he believed how often we really go to ohana!

Anyway, we ended up having a GREAT time and made some new friends in the process!

So if you're ever going standby,don't despair- get creative. Once we hatched that plan, we were in in 10 minutes! Here are my new "cousins" LOL!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8GsWidQUlb...oto-726230.JPG

I told our table at the end of the meal that while we all got on so well and had a fabulous time, the bread pudding and peanut sauce/noodles would have made it worthwhile even if they had all been a bunch of creeps!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

What a great stoy. I'm glad you got your Ohanas fix. We love it there also. I'm jealous you can go as often as you do.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

What a fabulous tale. Your lemonade is to my liking.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenuff View Post
    ... can't even get a pager and sit...must stand the entire time or you lose!"
    They could at least put a Group W bench there to sit on.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I still dont understand your point.

Ohana is arguably one of the the toughest ADRs to get. And for a guest who gets ADR's 180 days out, the real frustration is wating 1/2 hour or more past your ADR time after you showed up 1/2 hour early.

To me, it seems unreasonable to just "show up" to one of the most popular restaurants at WDW, if not the country, and expect to be seated with little or no delay.

By the way, WDW will hold your ADR's for up to 1/2 past your scheduled time before releasing it. Although this is not published, it is the policy...and it is a good policy because things can and do happen that affect WDW transportation.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi cantgetenuff!!! I loved, loved, loved your story. I wish I could've been in line with you. What a great happy ending!!!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa!! Maybe I'll see ya in line on your next trip!

Big Kid. If you re-read my post you'll see I don't have so much of a problem with the adr's going first at their time. It's the hunting & picking of the standby line because you don't know what the magic table size number will be, watching a group who got in standby line at 6 go ahead of a guy that got in standby line at 4. It's waiting as tables sit empty for the unofficial policy of holding ADR's late because junior didn't want to get out of the pool in time for dinner. It's the no-shows with no cancellation that bog down the system because we're waiting for them. (CM last night said it's
    about 25% no show.)
    It's the having to stand for over an hour because
    you can't get a pager. Thank the Lord above I'm
    able to stand but I know many who couldn't. I said in my original post- I'll wait 2-4 hours if I want it that bad- if not, I won't get on the list. I never said or expect to be seated promptly. Now, there IS no list. You are in line. Can't move.
    They mill over it back and forth looking for numbers and you better hope the cm hears you before someone else later in line.

There WILL be standby accepted. We got in on Christmas night this year at 5:30. It's the new manner in which they're accepting those standby.

Should people who suddenly find themselves blessed to be able to go to WDW personally (a gift, an unexpected bonus, a contest winner, etc) or for business not be given a fair chance to standby for a great meal? It's just the opportunity to take a chance- it's not self-entitlement or arrogance, it's just wanting a fair shot.

If you're always booking trips at 180 days, you will NOT wait in line with standby folk
    anymore with your ADR so your frustration is
    resolved. Enjoy!

Those of us who have trips or plans inside of
    180 days, good luck.

I hope this explains my point better. If not, I
    guess it's an "agree to disagree" thing
    Either way, thanks for the feedback cousin!
    INTERCOT Staff-

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenuff View Post
    One more wave of ADR's come and go...the cm approaches the standby line. He says "how many in your party? Now I've been talking to these folks for over an hour. I look at them and said, "how ever many you want us to be, right guys?" The host smiled and said "can you come up with 8?" I looked at the two couples I've been talking to and they said, "why not? it's like a cruise- you can sit with other folks!"

Then we needed two more...I looked at the ppl past the other couple and said "you in?" They said yes, but we have our mother too! That would make 9

The host said no problem, they could pull up a chair and away we went!
    You're clearly someone who knows how to make lemonade out of lemons!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Don't give up hope. Keep calling every day. There are always cancellations, people shifting and fine tuning their schedules. Keep calling the dining reservation line even when you're down there! It's worked for me on several occasions.

As for the people standing on line...
    When I don't have a confirmed reservation at a highly popular restaurant, I have no reasonable expectation that I will get in. What led you to believe otherwise? That you got in at all had to do with your good fortune and the host's kindness. One should repay kindness with kindness, not bad attitude and gloating.

People are there to have a good time. It would be good for all the kids around you (it is Disney World, after all) to see adults modeling good behavior and positive attitudes. Plus, if you're out to have a good time, why set yourself up for disappointment and go someplace that is booked solid?
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. clearly my tone is not coming through properly in written form so I'll just cut my losses and apparently go down as the meanest most demanding & disrespectable ohana patron ever

Shaka cousins & good luck!!!
    INTERCOT Staff-

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

What a fabulous story! I know personally of many people who still make multiple reservations during their vacation because they do not know where they will want to go. I also know that many times those reservations are not cancelled (and that infuriates me). I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to get a table at a restaurant inside a vacation destination. I don't think "unreserved" patrons should get seated prior to "reserved" patrons, but I sure as heck think that they should be given the opportunity to respectfully wait for a table. If the restaurant feels that there will not be any openings that night, then they should be upfront about it and tell walk ups that there's no room at the inn.

Thanks for your story cantgetenuff. Fabulous! and so was the picture of you with your Cousins!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adr's

I have done it both ways. I try to have ADR'S but it is not always available when you are. It took three vacations to get into Le Cellier which to me wasn't worth the wait.
    They should allow walk ins to fill for no shows and people who could not get an ADR's> If that person is willing to wait then it is up to them. I know I waited over 2 hrs as a walk up so they are not taking anyones ADR that had one.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: