Quantcast Disney Merchandise Return Policy Change Effective 5/2/11

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney Merchandise Return Policy Change Effective 5/2/11

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has announced a new return policy across its retail properties effective 5/2/11:

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney World Parts and Resorts

Beginning May 2, 2011, a new merchandise return policy will be implemented for merchandise purchases made at any Disney-owned-and-operated store within Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Please note: the return and exchange policy time period will change to 30 (thirty) days.
    Currently, the return policy time period is 90 days.
    Figment! aka Jason ΊoΊ
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty significant change. However, 30 days sounds reasonable. Typically, if I've returned something, it has occurred within the scope of my vacation which, to date, has typically not exceeded two weeks.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree ... I've never returned anything after coming home, so although this is a big change, I'm not too worried about it.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have exchanged items twice after we came home - it's a pain but they have been generally fairly helpful getting the exchange done. I think 30 days is reasonable in most cases.
    Kathy ΊoΊ

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

30 days is plenty of time and is reasonable. I opened the thread expecting a 24 hour return policy or something!

Post Thanks / Like

Best Buy has had a similar policy for some time. I've also stopped shopping at Best Buy because of their return policy.

Granted, were talking about two different beasts, but my guess is that this is going to make a bigger impact that it appears. The original quote says returns AND exchanges. I imagine a lot of people call and want to exchange something that broke unexpectedly, and with everything being made in China, I wouldn't be surprised. This gives them the go ahead to deny those outright.

You should now go into a transaction thinking that the item you are buying will last only 30 days. Again, this is the reason why I do not shop at Best Buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    You should now go into a transaction thinking that the item you are buying will last only 30 days.
    I personally have never gone into a transaction, purchased an item (or not) because of a return policy. If I am in search of something or come across something that I like and a price tag I'm willing to pay, I buy it for what it is... I very rarely return anything because I make educated purchases. If there should be a defect that was overlooked and the size isn't what I expected, 30 days is plenty of time to exchange
    Dec 1993 - FW
    Feb 2007 - FW & ASMus
    Jan 2008 - WL
    Dec 2009 - POFQ
    Oct 2010 - ASMov
    Aug 2011 - Wyndham Resort
    Mar 2012 - OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Stores change their return policies when people abuse them...

People abused Best Buy's return policy to use items, decide they didn't like them, and then return them. That is not the purpose of a return policy.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissTink View Post
    I personally have never gone into a transaction, purchased an item (or not) because of a return policy.
    I routinely investigate store policies before making a purchase, it's a good habit to get into.

For example, I bought a phone once at Best Buy, just your average cordless phone made by AT&T. Really, on day 31 (I'm not kidding) number keys stopped responding. I went back to the store that day and was told, sorry. You need to contact AT&T. I have not set foot inside a Best Buy since...

Newegg on the other hand has some of the best customer service reps in the business. 1/2 the time, I don't even check prices elsewhere because I know that should something go wrong, Newegg WILL do the right thing.

I know what you're saying about people abusing return policies, but there are better ways to deal with the few than to punish the masses. Don't treat your customers like criminals...

This is yet another bad business decision by Disney. I do think that it's almost necessary with all the junk they have been selling. I will 100% think twice about buying anything of significance from Disney in the future, like watches, jewelry, etc. It was not too long ago people were complaining on the boards here about t-shirts coming apart in the washing machines, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty big change, but I guess I have never had to return anything except when I was still on vacation...And unfortunately vacations in my life aren't 90 days long!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Stores change their return policies when people abuse them...

People abused Best Buy's return policy to use items, decide they didn't like them, and then return them. That is not the purpose of a return policy.
    Actually, that's not the issue so much. We (I work at Best Buy) have no problem with you returning a product if you get it home, use it for a couple of weeks, and decide it's not really what you're looking for. The problem is the people that come in to buy a camera right before they go on vacation, use the camera for their vacation, and then return it when they get home. It was worse when the return policy was 90 days because people would "rent" a camera for the entire summer.

30 days is completely reasonable amount of time to return a product. If I buy a product and it breaks after day 30, I would much more upset with the company that made said product making something with such shoddy quality than the store I bought it from.

Post Thanks / Like

What the heck! I'm shocked when I see ways that people cheat. I guess I shouldn't still be, but I am!

I don't even investigate return policies before I make purchases, maybe I'm just naive...
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going to buy a TV, expensive camera or something like that...I would consider the return policy before I make a purchase.

But at WDW I am mostly buying t-shirt or sweatshirts, costume jewelry, Christmas ornaments, etc. Even if I bought a watch....it would not be high end enough for me to be concerned with returning it after 30 days. We have done a couple of exchanges during our trips...one for an item that became damaged after one day of use and another because I chose the wrong item and didn't notice it until later when I went to pick it up at the resort.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think it stinks. I thought 90 days was great because if I changed my mind about something, I could return it on my next trip. However, it's better than Barnes and Noble. They have the worst policy ever!
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellesRose View Post
    Personally, I think it stinks. I thought 90 days was great because if I changed my mind about something, I could return it on my next trip. However, it's better than Barnes and Noble. They have the worst policy ever!
    As with all situations, your mileage may vary, but I was faced with an exchange that was going to be six months before I was able to bring the item back. We contacted the store and explained we would be returning later in the year and would like to exchange the item (a shirt) with another one, but we would prefer to have my son try it on in the store. The manager agreed to allow us to extend the exchange window and we contacted her personally when we arrived later in the year. Just make sure you document the call and get the manager's name and associate number.

No guarantee this works every time, but it is a good example of Disney providing excellent customer service! It saved us the hassle and cost of shipping it back.
    DL/DCA 40+ days a year 1999-2004
    10 D. CBR 6/02
    11 D. AKL 7/05
    6 D. CBR 12/05
    11 D. BWR 7/06
    11 D. POFQ (never again) 7/07
    7 D. CBR 11/07
    12 D. AKL/CR 7/08
    11 D. AKL 12/09
    12 D. BWI 6/10
    10 D. AKL 11/10
    10 D. POR (never again) 6/11
    10 D. AKL 12/11
    10 D. CBR 6/12
    Next 11D BWI 11/12

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MissTink View Post
    I personally have never gone into a transaction, purchased an item (or not) because of a return policy. If I am in search of something or come across something that I like and a price tag I'm willing to pay, I buy it for what it is... I very rarely return anything because I make educated purchases. If there should be a defect that was overlooked and the size isn't what I expected, 30 days is plenty of time to exchange
    I agree! DH & I are also not impulse buyers, so we very rarely need to return anything. Only returns we've ever done have been "no changing room" clothing purchases ~ once back in the room discovered the size was wrong. Returned that day then . . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: