Quantcast T-Rex not our cup of tea

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default T-Rex not our cup of tea

My wife and I had lunch at T-Rex last week. It was loud, loud loud, the food was average at best, and the prices made us do a double take. It was a Rainforest Cafe on steroids. Never again!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, its very loud in there. We like the food ok, but its not a must do every trip.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more. We found a place called Sweet Tomatoes in the shopping plaza with the Goodings Supermarket across from DTD. It's in the back on the left and they have a great salad bar, six or seven different soups, breads and pizza, and an ice cream dessert bar. All for under $10 (not including beverage) and they give you a coupon for your next visit.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's loud then that is where my family needs to be. It muffles out my 4 loud kids!! lol
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, 100% or more!
    I was very disappointed with this place. Almost a carbon copy of Rainforest Cafe, only with dinosaurs. Made me think, that when the deal with the Rainforest cafe is up, ( lease, licence or whatever ) that T-rex will be the replacement, especially at AK. I would have thought that Disney would have built this at AK, before they put it in DTD.

Post Thanks / Like

We went once, never again. Some foreign tourists gawking at the animatronics all but sat on our table, knocked over our plates, and never apologized... it was creepy.

Post Thanks / Like

We went last year. It was loud, food was okay. I'm glad we went because we did want to see it but now that we've gone, it's at the bottom of the list because there are so many other places we haven't hit yet.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gardenia View Post
    We went once, never again. Some foreign tourists gawking at the animatronics all but sat on our table, knocked over our plates, and never apologized... it was creepy.
    LOL - wondering how you know they were "foreign". I'm one of them foreign tourists from Canada and wondering if I stick out, eh? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I'm one of them foreign tourists from Canada and wondering if I stick out, eh? ;-)
    Us Canadians always stick out ... with our double-doubles from Tim's.

But, back on the topic ... we also found T-Rex to be "blah", it was fine, the food was fine, but I didn't love and we haven't been back!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paragon View Post
    Agreed, 100% or more!
    I was very disappointed with this place. Almost a carbon copy of Rainforest Cafe, only with dinosaurs. Made me think, that when the deal with the Rainforest cafe is up, ( lease, licence or whatever ) that T-rex will be the replacement, especially at AK. I would have thought that Disney would have built this at AK, before they put it in DTD.
    Rainforest and T-Rex are owned and operated by Landry's Restaurants. Can't blame Disney for where it is located. Landry's would have decided that DTD was they wanted to operate thus restaurant. And they also own Yak and Yeti in AK. Just cause it's in Disney doesn't make it Disney.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    Couldn't agree more. We found a place called Sweet Tomatoes in the shopping plaza with the Goodings Supermarket across from DTD. It's in the back on the left and they have a great salad bar, six or seven different soups, breads and pizza, and an ice cream dessert bar. All for under $10 (not including beverage) and they give you a coupon for your next visit.
    This sounds great! I want to try this on our next trip. The kids enjoyed T-Rex so we are going again but I do agree it is very loud!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I had a really bad experience at T-Rex last year. I never complain at restaurants, but I couldn't finish my food because the overwhelming balsamic vinegar taste was making me sick . My mom ordered the same thing as me and the dressing was just sprinkled on hers... mine was covered in huge gobs of the stuff. The waitress came by and saw how little I had eaten, and that I was eating off of everyone else's' plates and she asked what was wrong. I swallowed my pride and told her I couldn't stomach the flavor and she took the food off our bill. I don't plan on going back there... but regardless of my food tasting so bad, the service was good.
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

We ate here on our last trip in August of 2010. We walked right in no ressies. The service was good, but it was very crowded. Cool animitronics and the boys(Age 12) loved it. It was a bit pricy, but we wanted to experience it just once. We went for appetizers and milk shakes. The food was ok, but nothing special.

I agree, there were people walking all over facinated by the atmosphere. We probably won't go back.
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...are we the only ones that enjoyed T-Rex??

We went in January 2010 and without ADRs had a less than 5 minute wait at mid-afternoon.
    Yes, it was noisy, but we expect noisy at WDW.

Yes, it was pricey, but the portions were huge. We took our leftovers back to Kidani and reheated them that evening for dinner.

Food quality? We weren't expecting a 5***** dining experience; and it wasn't . But it was tasty and hot. Way better than Rainforest in my book.

Would definitely do it again.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    Wow...are we the only ones that enjoyed T-Rex??

Yes, it was pricey, but the portions were huge.
    Food quality? We weren't expecting a 5***** dining experience; and it wasn't. Would definitely do it again.
    We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at T-Rex, too. We ordered some of the more expensive items off the menu and were pleasantly surprised with the quality, preparation and service of the meal. It was much better than we expected. Was it loud? No moreso than a good portion of the character meals we go to. It's definitely a repeat for us - we'll be there again in July! Just goes to show that for each visitor, they have their own taste in teas.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My ds is a dinosaur expert, seriously loves them, reads everything about them. So we figure great, he'll love it. Horrible time, food was blah, kids didn't really like it that much( I think he was overwhelmed a bit). Then the waitress let my dh overpay, we had a visa g/c that she couldn't figure out how to use, so we used our card then. Well she found us in the gift shop, and used the visa g/c on top of the cc it was a bad deal. Never again, we'd do the gift shop, and that's it.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    Couldn't agree more! We eat at least twice there each visit. Tasty food and really awesome prices.

We also were less than enthused with T-Rex. It was so loud, and so disorganized...I doubt we'll even have a drink in their bar.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not".

Dr. Seuss - The Lorax

Post Thanks / Like

Default liked T-Rex

Well, we had a great experience at T-Rex. My DH, me, DD, and three cousins. They LOVED the dinosaurs. We were seated in the Ice Cave, which I think is the coolest. Our waitress was great -- kept the kids' drinks filled and checked back often. My DH was just OK with his meal, but my Layers of Earth Lasagne was delicious! And the kids loved their food. It is a cool restaurant if you love dinosaurs. Yes, expensive, but what at Disney isn't. (But for the person who recommended Sweet Tomatoes outside the World .... It is great!!!)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: