Quantcast Where Would You Stay?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where Would You Stay?

Hi everyone! I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip for a friend and I who has only been to WDW as a child and never stayed on property. We are looking to stay at a moderately priced resort, but I'm not really sure which one. I want to pick a resort that she will enjoy staying at.

We are planning on going to all the parks and location does not matter so much. She LOVES to swim and lay by the pool so I am thinking that may play a big factor. I don't think we will be eating TS meals at the resort very much, so again, we don't have to worry about that as much. We are thinking early May of 2012.

So, with all of that said, which resort would you pick for overall atmosphere and to "impress" a newbie?
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go someplace a bit on the fancy side, your friend will expect that all the time. My advice would be to start off at a value resort. They all have nice pool areas, and the theming is very nice. The values also do not have TS restaurants so that would not be a problem.
    Order the vacation planning DVD so you can show her what each place looks like.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

For what you describe, I'd go for Coronado Springs. One of the best pools on property...moderate or otherwise. And the resort is gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely CSR!! It beats the other moderates hands down and has the best "adult" pool experiences. Lovely, renovated rooms surrounding a beautiful lake. Be sure to look for a discount - not available yet for 2012 but there will be one! This year we got a room for $135 a night for March, not too bad...

I would not even consider the values, just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

The new Art of Animation (value resort) is scheduled to open summer of 2012. Not sure if "May" is considered summer. Otherwise, POFQ is very nice, as is Animal Kingdom lodge.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies.....because you are going to get soooo many different opinions!

My choice is Port Orleans Riverside in the Magnolia section (the southern mansion buildings). The entire resort is beautiful and well-themed and the pools are luxurious and relaxing.
    May all the days of your life be filled with Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely pick Coronado Springs. The pool is fantastic and the resort is beautiful!
    Sassy2000

Prior to 2007 off site
    Oct 07 AS Music
    Apr 08 AS Movies
    Dec 08 CSR & POR
    Feb 09 Pop

Nov/Dec 09 CBR &AKL
    May 10 CSR
    Oct 10 Poly!!
    May 11 AS Music
    Oct 11 AKV & BWV
    Feb 12 AKV
    Feb 13 POR Royal Room

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyone's replies and opinions so far! I am okay with vastly different opinions because I find that more often than not I don't try to see things from a point of view other than my own.

I have looked in to CSR, and really like the Casitas section. Looks very nice. But have not ruled out the other moderates, and am still open to other price categories. Good thing I have time.

Post Thanks / Like

For moderates, my favorite is Coronado Springs Resort. My second favorite would be Port Orleans French Quarter. You've already received a lot of support for Coronado. What I like about French Quarter is its quaintness as well as the availability of the boat to Downtown Disney.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ha ha ha... Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by jlmct52 View Post
    My apologies.....because you are going to get soooo many different opinions!

My choice is Port Orleans Riverside in the Magnolia section (the southern mansion buildings). The entire resort is beautiful and well-themed and the pools are luxurious and relaxing.
    Same as above, except we prefer the more picturesque Alligator Bayou section. The themed pool there is really nice too.

Truth be told, you really can't go wrong at any on-site resort. Some are just a bit more fancier than others, but you do plan to spend a majority of your time at the parks, right?

Post Thanks / Like

First choice would be CSR. Second would be POR.
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
    Truth be told, you really can't go wrong at any on-site resort. Some are just a bit more fancier than others, but you do plan to spend a majority of your time at the parks, right?
    I have always felt the same way. Staying on property just adds to the magic of any Disney vacation. Yes, we plan on spending the majority of our time in the parks, maybe some late start days when we explore the resort or breaks in the afternoon for the pool to rest.

Post Thanks / Like

my favs are Coronado & Port Orleans French Quarter. this time im staying at Carribean.
    CSR is nice but does have some conventions. i liked the food court also. POFQ is smaller but its right next to POR so u have both to enjoy
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a breakdown about why I like both Coronado Springs and Port Orleans French Quarter:

Coronado Springs:
    1. Coronado Springs has the coolest large pool area complete with Aztec Pyramid. Cool for pictures even if you never set foot in the pool.

2. All the beds at CS are queen size. That is not true of other moderate resorts.

3. Beautiful landscaping with lots of room. If you are with healthy people who enjoy walking, Coronado Springs would be great for you.

French Quarter:
    1. French Quarter is fairly compact. Easy to navigate and walk if you are tired out from the parks.

2. French Quarter has a lot of southern charm. I love walking around the place.

3. You can take a boat to Downtown Disney.

4. Beignets in the food court!!!
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

buzz2001 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    For what you describe, I'd go for Coronado Springs. One of the best pools on property...moderate or otherwise. And the resort is gorgeous.
    Another vote for CSR!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to vote for POFQ (of course - my favourite).

The resort is small, which is great when you're back from the parks and tired, you don't have to walk forever to get to the pool, etc.

POFQ is undergoing a renovation of the rooms right now, so by May 2012, they will all be completed, so nice and new, and all of the rooms are getting queen size-beds.

Another perk is the ability use the pool at POR, so it is like getting two themed pools for one! We make at least one trip to POR during our stay, just for the pool.

I also agree that the boat to DTD is a great plus!

No matter what you choose, have a great trip!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fastpasssteve View Post
    2. All the beds at CS are queen size. That is not true of other moderate resorts.
    Actually, as Heather has said, POFQ will be completely fitted with Queen beds very shortly! We were going to stay at the Coronado Springs before we heard about POFQ. Right now POFQ is a little less expensive (especially with the discounts), so that swayed us!

Both resorts are lovely. CSR is more beautiful and has a far better pool in my opinion, but you can not beat the ease of getting around POFQ, and the proximity of everything to everything else.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for everyone's responses! They were all very insightful and helpful. Right now I am leaning towards CSR. I think we would really enjoy walking around the resort. We don't mind the size at all! A close second is POFQ. I still have some time to debate the pros and cons of both, thankfully.

buzz2001 Guest

Its an awesome place to walk around at night when it is all lit up. Have a great trip!

Post Thanks / Like

obviously the Intercot feedback is the place to start!! keep researching and from your post it sounds like it will be a win-win no matter where you choose. we just stayed por-riverside which was really nice. cs could be a hidden gem - we have "almost" stayed there twice but have been on-site and it's a really cool themed resort. Good luck!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: