Quantcast Fast Pass Pet Peeve

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fast Pass Pet Peeve

I am always amazed at the number of people that do not "get" fast pass. The whole point of fast pass is that your place in line Is saved while you go do something else - restroom, eat, another ride, etc.

My pet peeve is when people get their fast pass, then wait at the attraction for their time.

One extreme was at Living with the Land. Standby was 20 minutes. The fast pass window was 30 minutes later. My wife and I decided we wanted a coffee the a piece of the nearly zero calorie triple chocolate cake!

So, we got our fast passes, enjoyed our coffee and cake, and went on the ride with zero wait. In the meantime, we watched a family get their fast passes, and stand there for 30 minutes waiting to use their fast passes. I don't think they had any idea that they could have been on the ride 10 minutes earlier by going standby.

I just wonder If Disney should provide some better education regarding fast passes. Maybe even some "strategies" that can be used to take best advantage of the fast pass system.

Please, don't be that tourist.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Or when you here people asking how much a FP cost.

Post Thanks / Like

All the education in the world will not help some people.

Those who have a desire to understand the Disney system, or anything else for that matter, will find a way. But the masses of people who don't have a clue will always continue to be oblivious to their surroundings. And also likely complain that they have beed mistreated in some way.

Some people you just can't help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same here

We just got back from WDW, yesterday, and I was always instructing the use of the fast pass, to someone, each time we got ours, most of the time it was explaining what the time block was for. One time someone in front of us was trying to use a credit card, which was blue to get the fast pass, when I saw this, I told them of the mistake, and they stood there and "dug" around in their pocket looking for the WDW card, meanwhile holding up the line.
    ASmu SEPT. 1996
    ASmu SEPT. 2003
    POP DEC. 2004
    ASmu SEPT. 2005
    ASmu SEPT. 2006 40TH WEDDING ANNIV.
    MNSSHP SEPT. 22
    ILLUMINATIONS CRUISE SEPT. 23
    SEPT. 25 CALIFORNIA GRILL
    ANNIVERSARY DINNER
    ASmu FEB. 2011 RETIREMENT CELEBRATION
    ASmu April 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is, some people go to Disney maybe once, or twice in their lifetimes. It is not something people really educate themselves on. It's a vacation and they "Wing It." I will be the first to admit, that when I look back to our first trip, we were totally overwhelmed and had no idea of all the planning and strategy involved in "Knowing" the system. Now, after 18 trips, I totally get it, and I will help anyone I know going for their first time, so that they may not make the same mistakes we made on our first trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with MOJoe.

My husband was doing business at the bank recently when he overheard one of the managers talking about how excited she was about an upcoming Disney trip. She'd never been before, but was talking about all the stuff she wanted to do with her daughter. At the top of her list was breakfast with Cinderella. My husband stopped to talk to her on the way out, politely explaining that he didn't mean to eavesdrop, but he wanted to make sure she knew about the 180-day ADR mark for breakfast with Cinderella. She had NO CLUE and was just going to walk up and ask for a table when she got there. She was so thankful for hubby's advice. I could just imagine the disappointment that the little girl would've felt if Mom had built up CRT and then they'd been turned away.

I don't care where we go, we ALWAYS read up on the destination. If I'm going to be spending money on anything, I want to know more about it. I can't believe some people spend thousands on Disney trips and don't pick up one travel guide because they think it's "just an amusement park" like Six Flags or Cedar Point.

Once I was at concierge at WL when a grandmother walked up and asked, "What is there to do here for children?" Concierge asked if she meant the hotel. She said, "No. At Disney World." HELLO?
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Many guests are just plain intimidated by FastPass. They think they have to pay for it, or don't know how to use it. We often see guests get a FP from the machine and bring it straight to the entrance for admission to the attraction. We patiently explain that they must wait until the time window, and even then they often don't "get" it.

On the positive side, I am seeing less hostility from those in the standby line as FP guests go ahead of them. Maybe the concept is sinking in after all.

Not everyone is an experienced WDW visitor. If you have questions about how to use FP, PLEASE ask the Cast Member at the FP distribution machines or attraction entrance. We want to help you use the system to your advantage.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basket Mommy View Post
    I don't care where we go, we ALWAYS read up on the destination. If I'm going to be spending money on anything, I want to know more about it.
    I totally agree. Even with all the reading I do before I go somewhere new, I know I make mistakes a more seasoned traveler to that location would not make.

On the other hand, Disney has done EVERYTHING possible to educate folks on fast pass and its use. There are instructions in the park guidemap on hos to use Fast Fass. There's informationon the in-room Disney channel at the resorts on it as well. I'm not sure what else they can do to make people aware of it and the process.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I never understand how people can go on vacation without doing any research on the place they are visiting A vacation is an investment and very expensive most of the time so why would you want to go blindly? Do these same people buy a car without any research? A computer? A TV? I had a friend who wanted a new digital camera and spent weeks researching it online. He spent about $300 on his new camera that he was taking on his family vacation to WDW but refused to even read the most basic information about WDW. So he spent many hours researching a $300 camera but not a second researching a $4000 vacation Needless to say he was overwhelmed, confused, frustrated, and angry on his vacation.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

It boggles my mind how FP can be so misundersood.

It's practically shoved down your throat on all their advertising. I know they cover it in the planning DVD. In 2005, it was on the maps - I'm assuming it still is.

It just seems no matter what I'm reading, looking at for Disney there is something about FP on it.

Of course, I'm a researcher but even if I wasn't I would at least grab a park map and see it talked about.

I'm one that researches just about everything though...doesn't mean I don't forget it all when I get there and definitely make mistakes but at least I try to have basic concept stuff down.
    Becky
    Contemporary - 7/05
    Ft. Wilderness Cabins - 7/11 with extended family (15 of us in all!!!)
    ME, DH, DD-17, DS-14, DS-10& DS-7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I never understand how people can go on vacation without doing any research on the place they are visiting A vacation is an investment and very expensive most of the time so why would you want to go blindly? Do these same people buy a car without any research? A computer? A TV? I had a friend who wanted a new digital camera and spent weeks researching it online. He spent about $300 on his new camera that he was taking on his family vacation to WDW but refused to even read the most basic information about WDW. So he spent many hours researching a $300 camera but not a second researching a $4000 vacation Needless to say he was overwhelmed, confused, frustrated, and angry on his vacation.
    I agree! I do tons of research when we go anywhere...even if we've been there before! I find it a very exciting build-up to the actual trip. I am always afraid I will miss something great if I don't do a little research first! We have been to WDW around 30 times and I STILL do my research before our next trip!! I need to know of any changes or new things. But I know there are so many people that just "wing it" and those are the people that hate going on vacation. Amazes me!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very much a research and plan ahead guy. No matter where I go, I plan ahead. I've even had a taxi driver in NYC ask when I left NY, because I gave him directions through Queens and across the Queensboro from LaGuardia as we headed to 54th/2nd. I told him, "I haven't been here in 25 years, and the last time I was here I was 3." He was stunned, and it made me feel good.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I direct plays and musicals as one aspect of my career. People, I have found, appreciate and need clear instruction. Be clear, be direct, be brief...and then smile.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

Although I agree with everyone regarding Disney's attempt to educate people about FP and how some people just don't get it, let's not generalize about the common vacationer too much. Face it, here we are on this site...obviously we take our Disney (and probably other) vacation planning seriously...some people just don't share that vision.

In 1 week, I'm heading to WDW with a group of 5 couples. 9 out of the 10 people going haven't spent any significant amount of time at WDW at all. I've been trying to "politely force" them to do some planning...otherwise, they too, would just show up on Mickey's doorstep next Sunday and say "Ok...now what?" Since I love the planning aspect of my WDW trips, I've taken it upon myself to do some behind the scenes planning. I've even made some ADRs for the group, assuming when we get there they'll be thrilled that I thought ahead so much and am so organized

So, let's make it OUR mission as Intercotees to help politely educate the masses about the World we love so much
    Eric

ASMusic 4/22
    POFQ 1/22
    AKL 9/21
    POFQ 1/20
    Pop Cent 6/19 & 11/19
    POFQ 3/19
    B Resort 11/18
    ASMusic
    3 & 7/18
    ASMusic 3/17
    Boardwalk 7/14 & 6/16
    Swan 3/13
    Solana Villa 3/11
    Grand Flo 12/09
    ASMov & Grand Flo 3/08
    Vistana 3/06
    AKL 3/05
    WL 6/02
    Off-Site 10/00
    ASMusic 3/98
    Poly 6/86
    LBV Villas 6/83

Post Thanks / Like

Everything thing is clearly explained. The Dumbing Down of America continues!!

Post Thanks / Like

It shouldn't bother you. If they want to spend their time that way, more power to them.

Of course, it does mean that's fewer people in line if you're hitting up attractions elsewhere while you're waiting on your Fastpass.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Friends, you are not getting to the root of the problem. Here it is...PEOPLE DO NOT READ. You know its true! Also, (everyone has said this) most of these people who do not "get" FastPass are newbies. They are confused and overwhelmed. They did not READ before they left, and they are not READING once they arrive.

Watch "Amazing Race." The people who lose are almost invariable the ones who DO NOT READ THE CLUES PROPERLY.

I am a teacher. The students (in COLLEGE) who do not do well - it is usually because THEY DO NOT READ.

People who get lost on the roadway or have accidents - sometimes it is because THEY DO NOT READ.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    I am always amazed at the number of people that do not "get" fast pass. The whole point of fast pass is that your place in line Is saved while you go do something else - restroom, eat, another ride, etc.

My pet peeve is when people get their fast pass, then wait at the attraction for their time.

One extreme was at Living with the Land. Standby was 20 minutes. The fast pass window was 30 minutes later. My wife and I decided we wanted a coffee the a piece of the nearly zero calorie triple chocolate cake!

So, we got our fast passes, enjoyed our coffee and cake, and went on the ride with zero wait. In the meantime, we watched a family get their fast passes, and stand there for 30 minutes waiting to use their fast passes. I don't think they had any idea that they could have been on the ride 10 minutes earlier by going standby.

I just wonder If Disney should provide some better education regarding fast passes. Maybe even some "strategies" that can be used to take best advantage of the fast pass system.

Please, don't be that tourist.
    See, sometimes we'll get FPs, get into the standby line, ride the ride, then hop right back into the FP line to use our fastpasses. But youre right, it doesnt make sense to get a FP then stand around waiting for the FP time..
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    Friends, you are not getting to the root of the problem. Here it is...PEOPLE DO NOT READ. You know its true!
    That's exactly what i'm talking about.

And as far as FastPassSteve says, that people need clear instruction. That's quite true. And in a teaching situation, critical. But life outside a classroom is very different. People's pride gets in their way. Asking for help with "simple" things like directions, reservations, fastpasses, ect. makes some people feel inadequate. They would rather do things "My Way" instead of reading the directions themselves or, heaven forbid, asking for help.

These people, who have never swallowed their pride, or recognized the value of assistance, are who i refer to saying, you just can't help. I'm not trying to be harsh. But i just recognize that people act the same no matter where they are....even at Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lovinmesomedisney View Post
    The problem is, some people go to Disney maybe once, or twice in their lifetimes.
    That is part of the problem. I totally agree.

Although here's what I don't get ... in today's day and age of instant access to information, why don't people spend a couple hours Googling Disney World and reading what comes up???

I'm not talking about geeking out and posting 1,000 questions on discussion boards and stuff, but come on ... Google "Fastpass" and read the first explanation that comes up. Google "Dining in Disney World" ... it's not that hard, people.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: