Quantcast Nervous Dad's first trip for his little ones!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Nervous Dad's first trip for his little ones!

Hello Everyone!
    This is my first post so please excuse any goofs - they are unintentional.

I am excited to be able to take my two little ones to WDW this Sept! I was able to go with my parents in '87 and '91 and I am now looking forward to sharing the magic with my kids.

I have been researching for a few weeks and I ordered the planning DVD, but there are so many things to think about and look into that I am nervous I might miss something that my kids would like or miss an opportunity to save a few $$$.

Would someone like to share a few tips on how they were able to keep their head on straight and still have fun with the planning process?

I am really excited to go again, for myself and my kids.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nervous Day

First of all , your in the right place.
    These Disney Lovers will help you through all your questions.
    Next, SEPTEMBER is a great month at Disney.
    We are going also last week to catch the Kids Play Free ticket offer for our 5 year old grandson.
    Hopefully staying at a Disney Resort, plan your days with published park hours and events, go back to the resort and take a dip in the pool before heading back over for more Magic.
    I'm sure you and I both will benefit from the post that follows.

Enjoy, see you in September....Steamboat Willy
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steamboat!
    We chose late Sept because we plan to go to MK on my son's 11th birthday!
    I went with my parent's in Sept and the crowds were pretty low. WDW didn't have a fast pass option back then - if I remember right. We went on all the attractions with very little wait. I see now there is a Not So Scary Halloween Party as well. How wonderful!
    Sept can't come fast enough!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure your kids ages. But we have gone there with our kids when they were 4 and are heading there next January with our now 11 month twins, DS 4 and DS 8. Two pieces of advice for you.

1. Do not plan on staying at the park all day nor seeing the whole park during your first visit. We always head back to our resort for naps, snacks/lunch, and swimming mid-day and then head back to another park.

2. Our kids have always been a little intimitaded by the characters, so we do a couple of Character meals so the kids and "visit" on their own terms. You also avoid the long waits with the main characters and get to spend a little one-on-one time at the restaurant.

Other than that. ENJOY!! Take lots of pictures and make some wonderful memories. My DS's still remember our visits so vividly and can't wait to go back next year.
    [I][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Mommy of 4
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~ Walt Disney

------------------------
    Feb 2006 - CBR
    May 2009 - POP
    Jan 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Well how about some background since it really helps allow everyone to help you the most!

Is see you have one 11 y/o boy, what about the other child?

Is it just the three of you? Mom/cousin/grandparent(s) going?

Have you booked yet? How many days you staying?

Have you started packing your suitcase yet!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    Well how about some background since it really helps allow everyone to help you the most!

Is see you have one 11 y/o boy, what about the other child?

Is it just the three of you? Mom/cousin/grandparent(s) going?

Have you booked yet? How many days you staying?

Have you started packing your suitcase yet!
    Welcome to Intercot!
    Yes, having a little background is helpful. What resort are you staying at? On or off property?

I would let each of your children be involved in the planning process. There is no way you can do it all...but if they each can choose one or two things that are "must do's" for them. I think one of the biggest problems I see with families is trying to get everything done to "get their money's worth." It really should be about the quality of your time together and not about "doing everything."

Share more about your plans and I am sure you will get a lot more helpful advise here.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Plan on NOT doing everything. It's definitely a quality not quantity equation. If you're satying on property,take advantage of the extra magic hours. Take breaks mid day to go back to the resort, recharge by the pool and go back in the evenings.

Ask the kids if there's things that they HAVE to do. For my son -its Donald- he has o hug and get a picture with Donald. If they're old enough to hae an opinion, let them pitch in ideas. Everyone pitchng ideas makes it a true family adventure that everyone participates in.

Take advantage of the Photo Pass - take pictures of everything and anything. The memories are priceless. If you have a digital camera, bring a spare chip & rechargeble batteries- you can swap in fresh batteries everyday so you won't miss anything.

We have the kids pick out their souvenirs at the end of the day rather than the beginning- that way they're not regretting a 9am purchase when they see something they MUST have at 3pm. If the 9am purchase still makes sense on the way out, there are no regrets.

Take advantage of the Fast Passes. Stay hydrated with lots of water for everyone. Have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We're going at the end of september as well. F&W Festival starts on the 30th!

There is a room code out for Sept. too. 35% off at the mods.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot. Keep poking around here and you'll have all the information you need by the time September rolls around. Ask all the questions you need to, because the people here are the nicest I've ever seen on the internet.

Have a great time with your kids! You'll love it.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, welcome!

Well, my first trip with my kids was in May of 2006. They were 5 and 7.

You are doing very well already to know that you need to do your research. Blows me away that some just wing it on their first trips. They end up missing so much. (I guess the good thing is that they don't know what they are missing!)

On my first trip, I purchased the Unofficial Guide to Disney World and studied it. It gives you a great overview of the attractions and restaurants. That really helped me figure out the things I didn't want to miss.

I also used the touring plans in the back to help me navigate the parks and for tips and tricks for staying ahead of the crowds. Some people hate those, but for our first trip, it was priceless. We were able to do soo much more. We no longer use them, but for our first trip, it was great.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

to Intercot, and a big WTG for your Packers!

Probably the most important part of the planning process is to avoid over-planning. You can easily drive yourself that way. Set a general plan for each day - - which park, where to eat, and a few "must see" items - - then let some spontaneity take over.

As others have said, let the kids do some of the planning, so they don't feel like they're being 'dragged around' the parks. And be sure to build in some breaks; staying in the parks from open to close can be exhausting.

For your son's birthday, be sure to mention that fact at check-in; they'll issue him a birthday button with his name on it that is virtually guaranteed to get him some special attention from cast members.

Probably your very best source for ideas is right here at Intercot. Browse lots of posts, and jot down the tidbits that interest you.

And just remember that the only "dumb question" is the one that doesn't get asked. Don't be bashful - - ask away. The good folks here love sharing their experiences.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!!! Even though your nervous you must be so excited at the same time!!!

I have never been in September so I don't know first hand of any special activities or occassions happening then.

And other intercotees have given you some great advice already for planning.

I just had to say Im so happy for your children and you, I am sure you will have a magical time
    Last edited by TinkerbellT421; 02-16-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typos
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

You will drive yourself off the deep end if you try to over plan your days so pick the highlights and let things happen as they will from there. Don't sweat the details because there is plenty to see and do so you will find plenty to keep you occupied and happy for your entire stay. If you haven't done so already be sure to book a hotel on property to extend the magic to the full day.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest that you go at your kids' pace. I brought my big kid of a hubby for our honeymoon, which was his first time at the World, and I was so busy trying to show him everything that I made him miserable for the first few days of our trip. Once he told me I was driving him crazy, and I slowed the pace down a bit he had a great time.

Also, you won't get to do everything in one trip, so that always gives you a great excuse to go back.

Post Thanks / Like

Involve your children in the planning as much as possible. We did this by buying a guide book written for kids (can't remember the name of it now). My kids (9 & 7) both read it over and over, and I was amazed at how much they knew about each of the parks. This also gave them an idea of "must sees" and what they didn't mind skipping. I also watched You Tube videos of rides, parades, meals with my kids - that was a lot of fun too. They had an idea of what to expect, and I really think it helped them not feel too overwhelmed once we were there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks and a little background info!

Wow! Thanks everyone! I am definately happy that I found Intercot!
    My wife and I are taking our seven year old daughter and my son will be turing 11 while we are at WDW. My wife and I have been to WDW as children with our parents, but this is our first vacation with our children. I haven't booked anything yet, but the Animal Kindom Lodge has been enticing the kids since they both love animals and heard that you can get a room and look over the Savannah and see giraffes and so forth! I heard there was a free dining plan, but I wasn't quick enough to catch that I guess.

My personality is that I tend to over analyze (hence the nervous Dad), but I am loving the excitement and fun of watching my kids - save up their money for WDW and watching the planning video over and over while they highlight things they want to see and do.

Thanks again everyone! You are all adding to my excitment and fun of planning our magical vacation!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=forever a child;2142815]Welcome to Intercot!
    Yes, having a little background is helpful. What resort are you staying at? On or off property?

Yeah - I'm a little nervous and forgot to include some of the details.

We are planning to stay on property - probably Animal Kingdom Lodge. My wife and I stayed off property when we visited years ago and we want to stay right where the action is.

My daughter is 7 and my son will be turning 11 while we are there. I think I read that something special can happen on your BDay if you let the resort know ahead of time - I have to check more into that.

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sommer View Post
    Involve your children in the planning as much as possible. We did this by buying a guide book written for kids (can't remember the name of it now). My kids (9 & 7) both read it over and over, and I was amazed at how much they knew about each of the parks. This also gave them an idea of "must sees" and what they didn't mind skipping. I also watched You Tube videos of rides, parades, meals with my kids - that was a lot of fun too. They had an idea of what to expect, and I really think it helped them not feel too overwhelmed once we were there.
    Birnbaum's makes a great travel guide for kids. There's info on each attraction. After visiting each one, we wrote down our son's thoughts about it in the book. It made a great souvenir.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider is how close do you want to be from the parks and how often do you plan on going to and from your resort. If you plan on going back in the afternoon to take a nap/swim and then returning to the parks in the evening it might be a good idea to give some thought to hotels that are either on the monorail or within walking distance of the parks. I see your kids aren't TOO little, but even as an adult it's nice to not have to worry about standing on a bus after a long and hot day in the parks. Where ever you stay I'm sure you and your kids will have a fabulous time!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks again everyone!
    I have two questions today -
    Can you leave the park and go back to your room and return later with a standard ticket or do you have to have the park hopper option for that?

Are the dolphin and swan resorts considered part of the property or if you are staying in those resorts are you off property. Hence are the busses and other transport not included.

Thanks again to everyone!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: