Quantcast How to travel from Disney to Universal for a day?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to travel from Disney to Universal for a day?

We are going to Disney World in December and would like to take a day to visit Universal Studios. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get there? We are flying to Orlando and won't have a car. Would it be cheaper to go rent a car, take a taxi, or take a car service? (There are five people in our party.)
    Thanks for the help.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you factor in how valuable your time is, cabs are the best value, in my opinion. If you rent a car, it might be more expensive than a cab to begin with, and that's before you even take into account the amount of time getting to the rental office, filling out paperwork, and going back to the rental office, returning the car, and then getting back to your resort will take. Save yourself the hassle and just take a cab, mention that you have five people and they will send a larger one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MW1218 View Post
    If you factor in how valuable your time is, cabs are the best value, in my opinion. If you rent a car, it might be more expensive than a cab to begin with, and that's before you even take into account the amount of time getting to the rental office, filling out paperwork, and going back to the rental office, returning the car, and then getting back to your resort will take. Save yourself the hassle and just take a cab, mention that you have five people and they will send a larger one.
    forgot to add in paying for parking too.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Quicksilver (town car service) and it was very easy. By the way, I have been through your neck of the woods quite often as I have family from Mt. Union......

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, i just looked up the Quicksilver website, very helpful.
    Kayla
    January 2008 POP
    December 2011 Beach Club for 2 weeks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We used the Mears bus when we went from Disney to Universal this past October. We called/made reservations before we went down, chose an early pick up time (8:00am maybe?), they were there waiting at our resort, picked up a few other guests, then stopped at Sea World, Aquatica, and dropped us off at Universal.

We had to call approx. 2 hours before we wanted pick up to see when the next bus would be there.

I think it was either $18 or $22 (can't remember at the moment) round trip. It was nice for us b/c we didn't want to have to deal with driving, parking, etc. But with 5 of you it may be cheaper to go with a private car/van pick up service.
    ASMov/CSR - Oct 2010
    CSR/Ft Wilderness Cabins - June 2009
    POFQ - June 2007
    AKL - First time to WDW! - Dec 2005

Anytime I purchase, read, watch, promote, or travel to (and purchase some more) anything Disney I am not spending money - I am investing in my future as a proud disney stock holder.

Post Thanks / Like

Im still debating how Im goin to get to Universal from WDW for a day or 2. i think taxi is too expensive, car mayb a hassle to get then park. but Mears you are limited to wat times....decisions decisions.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed Florida Town Cars and they quoted me $70 round trip for 5 people, so far the cheapest. With Quicksilver our party of 5 would have to get a van and that is listed on their website as $90 round trip.
    Kayla
    January 2008 POP

Post Thanks / Like

We always rent a car for a day or 2 and hit a non-Disney park and the outlet malls that are excellent and nearby. It's a short, easy drive.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

We have 4 and are planning a town car in August. One night Disney, One night Universal, 8 nights Disney. The $100 it will cost is well worth it for door to door service.
    Feb 1990 - FW
    Oct 2000 - YC
    Sept 2001 - MK
    May 2002 - DL
    Sept 2004 - BW
    Dec 2004 - WL
    Feb 2005 - POFQ
    Oct 2007 - FW CABIN
    Dec 2008 - ASMov
    Oct 2009 - DVC Member!
    Jan 2010 - SSR
    Aug 2011 - BLT, Universal, BCV
    April 2012 - WL Villas
    Feb 2013 - Disneyland!

Post Thanks / Like

We just faced this dilimna last week. We had plans to go to Universal last Wednesday, so we went to Downtown Disney on Tuesday and rented a car from National Car Rental. Their place is in the one hotel right across the street from DD. I paid about $80 to rent a car for 2 days. We had it from 3 p.m. Tuesday to 3 p.m. Thursday. Used it to drive to Kouzzina's on the Boardwalk Tuesday night, Universal Wednesday, and to the Poly thursday morning to try the Tonga Toast. Did some outlet shopping and had it back Thusday afternoon.

Would highly recommend this. It was very convenient. Just took the bus from DD back to our hotel when we were done with it.

Betsy

Post Thanks / Like

We used public transportation to go to Seaworld- by far your cheapest way of traveling. We went to DTD and crossed the street to get the bus waited about 20 minutes and they left us off on the outside of their parking lot- which was a bit of a walk but my mom (66) and aunt(76) walked it with no problem. Then when we were done crossed the parking lot crossed the street and caught a bus within five minutes- I believe we paid a 1.00 each way.

Post Thanks / Like

I just made our reservations with Mears for the day we are heading to IoA. They pick up from your resort (I'm not sure if its the same time for everywhere) :10 after every hour, so we made our pickup for 8:10a and are getting picked up at IoA at 7:15p.

Round trip total: $19 per person! I thought this was excellent compared to the car rental/taxi prices I've been seeing everywhere. We just pay the driver the $38 cash in the morning and we're covered for the ride home as well.

Their website was not helpful at all to me and I found it much easier to just call them to set it up. If anyone is interested, their number is:

407-423-5566.

Hope this helps!
    "Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out." -Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think a cab is anymore expensive than paying for a car service. We had a very bad experience with a car service last time - needed to leave early because I was sick and had to wait for our scheduled time - then they forgot about us! The thing about cabs is they are EVERYWHERE - they're lined up just waiting outside of Universal at all times, and also at the Disney resorts (Just as the concierge to call one up and they're there within minutes). I think the cost are pretty similar because they have to stay competitive or they wouldn't get any customers! And yes - public transport is the cheapest, but way to inconvenient for me. And I HATE driving in a strange city so the rental car is out (plus as someone above pointed out - takes a big chunk of time out of your day!)

Post Thanks / Like

We've used Happy Limo and have been pleased with service and price. Haven't tried Quicksilver but hear they are equally good. We'll try them next trip!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use Mears for transport to Universal?

seems t $19 price is better than renting a car for 2 day trips to Universal (Plus gas & parking) otherwise we are using Disney transportation to get around the world
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

This discussion might provide some additional information.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musicteacher View Post
    We just faced this dilimna last week. We had plans to go to Universal last Wednesday, so we went to Downtown Disney on Tuesday and rented a car from National Car Rental. Their place is in the one hotel right across the street from DD. I paid about $80 to rent a car for 2 days. We had it from 3 p.m. Tuesday to 3 p.m. Thursday. Used it to drive to Kouzzina's on the Boardwalk Tuesday night, Universal Wednesday, and to the Poly thursday morning to try the Tonga Toast. Did some outlet shopping and had it back Thusday afternoon.

Would highly recommend this. It was very convenient. Just took the bus from DD back to our hotel when we were done with it.

Betsy
    Do you know the name of the hotel that the car rental place is in? We always go to DD our first night. I may have to check into this.
    Thanks
    Kayla
    January 2008 POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaylamag View Post
    Do you know the name of the hotel that the car rental place is in? We always go to DD our first night. I may have to check into this.
    Thanks
    The Buena Vista Palace Hotel has a National car rental desk, however, so does the Dolphin hotel. As I see in your signature that you are staying at the Beach Club, the Dolphin may be easier.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: