Quantcast Skipping Epcot?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skipping Epcot?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skipping Epcot?

We are thinking about skipping Epcot on our trip in Sept. It seems like alot of people visit Epcot more than once on their trip. What do you find to do in Epcot that long? The only things we have found we liked at Epcot was Soarin and Fast Track and those are two things we could do without on our trip.

We aren't that into visiting the shops in the different countries. Our kids are older as well do you think this has anything to do with it?
    Me DD 15 DD 15 DS17 DH

MARCH 2008 OFFSITE
    ME, DS13 DD13 DS15

MARCH 2009 POR
    ME, DH DD14 DD14

SEPTEMBER 2011
    ME, DH, DD15 DD15
    16TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

EPCOT is our 2nd favorite park. We love walking around the countries and do their attractions and look through the shops. Some people like EPCOT a lot and some maybe not so much just depends on you. We can do what we like in one day ourselves since most trips it's just my wife and I and we can get through things at a good pace if we want to.

This last trip we went into Innoventions which for some reason we don't always do and found a neat attraction called "Storm Struck: The Tale of Two Homes". There are some pretty fun things to do in this building that I think can get passes up.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious - how much "older" are your kids?

At about the age of 11, DS fell in love with all of the experiences at Epcot. Now, with our trip on the horizon, he'll be 13 1/2 & it's his "chosen" park of the day. He loves interacting with CMs from other countries, seeing their histories/cultures, and from a "computer geek's" standpoint, all of the interactive things that Epcot has to offer.

Epcot's known for its potential lack of appeal for younger kids, but not older - that's why I'm curious about your childrens' ages . . .

My mistake - just saw your kids' ages in your signature line. While shopping is a fun thing to do around the nations, have you done any of the interactive dining or tours that WS has to offer?
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, everyone has their personal preferences, but Epcot is probably my favorite park. I love going through most of the attractions (the only ones that I don't routinely go to anymore are Journey into Your Imagination and Ellen's Energy Adventure). I love browsing through the shops in the different pavilions; in fact, I enjoy it even more now that my son is grown up and I can do it without being bugged ("Hurry up, Mom, let's go!") And I do still like to watch the movies featured in the different countries. With all that, the different musical shows, the wonderful restaurants there (and the chance to indulge in a beer or two in the World Showcase), Epcot has so much to offer, IMO.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

skip epcot

can't even imagine it. We spend a lot of time in world showcase just wandering. Oh and I LOVE Universe of Energy.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

My DD is 16 and both she and I LOVE Epcot. We would be more inclined to skip AK than Epcot. Now when she was younger...she loved AK and didn't get much into Epcot..but now the opposite is true.

We love visiting WS. Love how Disney has native people from those countries working in each respective country. We love hearing the accents. Of course DD wants to do International Studies as a minor is college...so perhaps that helps in her interest.

We do skip the Innovations building on periodic trips. We both just rode Spaceship Earth for the first time this Dec. Don't know why we never rode it before....but we had a blast and rode it around twice!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot is our favorite park. Even when my kids were younger they loved this park. We love innoventions there is always something new to discover. The countries with all the different performing groups. The food from the different countries. There is never a dull day. And Illumanations to finish the day off.We always find something new to do or try for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I asked if we were missing something. We aren't too much into visiting the various shops. My daughters did pick a pearl (one of them got the biggest one of the day) and we had one made into a ring and the other a necklace. We will be traveling with our twin daughters this trip that will be celebrating their 16th birthday. We liked Illuminations the first time but after that it wasn't anything we couldn't bear to miss. Maybe we just need to look deeper. My daughters went to ride Spaceship earth but after the talk they got when preparing for the ride they both opted to get off. I personally am deathly afraid of heights so I am not very adventurous about what I ride.
    Me DD 15 DD 15 DS17 DH

MARCH 2008 OFFSITE
    ME, DS13 DD13 DS15

MARCH 2009 POR
    ME, DH DD14 DD14

SEPTEMBER 2011
    ME, DH, DD15 DD15
    16TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KennyandKim View Post
    My daughters went to ride Spaceship earth but after the talk they got when preparing for the ride they both opted to get off. I personally am deathly afraid of heights so I am not very adventurous about what I ride.
    I have sever height issues but this ride is not scary at all. It is a great ride, IMHO and I wish we had "discovered" it years ago on earlier trips.
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine what kind of talk they got when boarding Spaceship Earth. That's the first I've ever heard of something like that. Are you confusing it with Mission Space?
    Epcot is our favorite. Have you done anything else other than Soarin and Test Track? I'm confused.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

*Donning flame retardant suit* to say that I totally agree with you. No-one in my family likes Epcot at all, other than me - and I could pretty much take it or leave it. We DO love the restaurants there, and I like Illuminations - but there aren't a whole lot of other things that really compell us. First time we went we spent a LOT of time in the World Showcase, but we've NEVER spent any real amount of time in the other section without being quite bored. Sorry, folks! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

What kinds of attractions do you like at the other parks?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on who you are and what you like. World Showcase is my 17 yo daughter's favorite attraction in WDW. My son, 19, could easily skip it, except for some of the restaurants. We spend days in Epcot. If it's not your thing and you won't miss it, though, then give it a pass and spend more time doing what you love.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think Epcot is overrated so I understand what you mean. The thing that aggravates me about it is the huge amount of wasted space. There is a lot of walking area where there is very little to do in terms of legitimate attractions. I hate to shop so World Showcase in particular bores me after a little while (though the Kim Possible thing makes me enjoy it more). I do like certain attractions a lot such as Mission: Space, American Adventure and Spaceship Earth but I feel that most attractions at Epcot are mediocre like Test Track or flat out terrible like Journey into Imagination. The best thing Epcot has going for it in my opinion is atmosphere but how far that goes towards enjoyment varies among people so it just may not be your cup of tea. Do not feel bad about skipping it if that is what you desire.

All that said, I still enjoy going to Epcot. I just think the hype for it is excessive.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

If it doesn't appeal to you, by all means, skip it. The best thing about Disney is that each of us can tour a we like. If something isn't to our liking, we can move on to those things that are!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the 3 parks (MK is in a class all by itself, in my opinion), EPCOT has always been our favorite. Meeting CMs from other countries is enjoyable, but more than that, we enjoy all of the live entertainment that is available.

EPCOT is much more than just attractions and restaurants. The wide variety of live entertainment as a big plus for EPCOT, and especially World Showcase.

We must be in the minority, because we spend at least 2-3 days (sometimes more) in EPCOT on every WDW trip. We especially enjoy walking around World Showcase at night during EMH, listening to the sounds around us.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

As SpecJoe Magic mentioned...American Adventure is another classic "must see." The theater alone is beautiful and the show they always do afterwords outside of the theater with the military uniformed marching band is great! A tear almost always runs down my face
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

I love Epcot and I can't imagine not going. I think it is a great park to just stroll around enjoy the atmosphere. We spend most of our time there.

However, I understand skipping a park if you don't like it. The last time we went, I skipped DHS. DH and DS love TOT and RNRC and I don't do thrill rides.

I went to Epcot instead.
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

We are skipping Epcot on our trip in a few weeks much against my wishes. But my younger sis (she's 30!) hates Epcot and frankly, when she's unhappy the whole pickin' world is unhappy. That and we budgeted time for other things in FL that we've never done before.

BUT....I LOVE Epcot. And have since my first trip when I was 11. I'm having a very hard time with the idea of skipping it. To me, it's the leisure park.

That's just me. Everyone's different and I know there are lots of other people out there like my sis.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I say, skip it! Do what you enjoy! My family doesn't care for Epcot at all, they just go because I enjoy it. As much as I love Epcot, I agree that a lot of it is really boring.
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: