Quantcast Free DDP - Don't just crunch the $$$ to see if it's worth it. - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I DONT even care amount the amount of money that we spend. What I care about is being miserably full of food because I "have" to use my credits. With the DDP, it used to be a much better deal therefore I didnt care that we didnt use it to its full value. As it got to be less and less of a good deal, I'd rather just pay OPP and not be Mr. CANTWALKCUZIGOTAFULLBELLY.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay take this with a grain of salt because I've never used DDP before (will be doing it in February for the 1st time). But as far as 'too much food', am I the only one who brings the leftovers along afterwards? Like, at counter service, we usually finish our lunches but sometimes the kids don't. So the kids' meals that have pre-packaged grapes or a sandwich... just don't open up the package if you don't think the kids will eat it right away, throw it in your backpack and then you've got breakfast for the next day! Whenever we have a table service meal, we always finish our plates (or if it's a buffet, we only take what we're going to eat), so I don't think that will be a problem. And then the one snack we get per day, will probably go towards some mid-afternoon pop, or ice cream.
    So why is it so much food? I don't get it?
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

The "too much food" is a comparison against what you would normally eat (and therefor have to pay for).

For example, at a normal TS, I would normally order an entree and an soda. That's what I normally eat. With the DDP, I would also be eligible for a dessert. The "cost" of the DDP credit for a TS is worth I think between $25 and $30 but I wouldn't order that much normally. So, in effect I'm paying more for something I wouldn't use. I don't HAVE to order dessert, but why not.

As far as taking food with you, most things don't hold up well in 90 degree weather, which is when I usually go. A cheesecake/creme brulee wouldn't make it much past the next world showcase pavillion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Okay take this with a grain of salt because I've never used DDP before (will be doing it in February for the 1st time). But as far as 'too much food', am I the only one who brings the leftovers along afterwards?

I think in theory that is a good idea, but in reality, we had a refrigerator full of extra desserts on our last day. When you stay on property, at least in the moderates, the fridge is a small dorm style, so what it can hold isn't all that much once you factor in the pop & oj bottles already in it. Taking things back is easy to do, but when you have or get stuck with late ADRS it's hard to finish dinner at 8:oo or later then think about finishing it up when you get back to the room.

I think most people think, imo, that the dessert is the wasted part of the DDP. If it was just on the TS that might be ok, but you get it with your QS meal two. I'm not used to eating a lot of desserts much less two per day. Granted you don't need to eat them, but 1) they usually give them to you anyway and 2) you've paid for them.

I'd much rather see the appetizer return and ditch the desserts. Or lose both and bring back the tip coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    I think most people think, imo, that the dessert is the wasted part of the DDP. If it was just on the TS that might be ok, but you get it with your QS meal two. I'm not used to eating a lot of desserts much less two per day.
    I know it's included, but I'm trying to think of a quick service place that offers dessert as part of a meal. Aren't the quick/counter service places usually combos like a burger/sandwich/etc. with fries or some other side dish, and that's it?
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, desserts are included with the quick/counter service meals also. Except breakfast, of course.

I am in agreement about the desserts. We had 21 snack credits and almost all of our desserts crammed into that little fridge. I had a checked suitcase full of sugar! We went into each meal trying to figure out what would travel well, not what would taste good because we just weren't hungry enough to eat all that dessert. I would love appetizers instead. If I were going to eat something in my room that night or for breakfast the next morning, I would rather it be a non sweet item.

We are getting the dining plan again this time because my son wants one last go round with all the character buffets. He's 11, so we figure this is it. I'm using my credits better this time. I will be sharing lunch with my husband and son so that I can eat the silly desserts that they don't want and they can eat their meals. We think it'll work out better. Then, they can use my lunch credit to share a breakfast at the resort.

Next time, we will not get the dining plan. We will eat at signature restaurants and counter service. We will not order dessert. We will order grown up drinks and appetizers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I know it's included, but I'm trying to think of a quick service place that offers dessert as part of a meal. Aren't the quick/counter service places usually combos like a burger/sandwich/etc. with fries or some other side dish, and that's it?
    Nope, I think all of the QS offer desserts of some sort. Like Flame Tree in AK we had a key-lime dessert. Some sort of chocolate cake/brownie/mousse is usually always available. Columbia Harbor House I think I had an apple turnover type dessert.

Don't get me wrong, the desserts are very good, and sometimes I really want them, just not always twice a day. And as many have pointed out, If I was paying out of pocket, it would not be something that I'd normally get.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree. I'll confess that we like desserts with dinner, and I like them being on the TS menus, but we NEVER eat dessert at lunch! I'd love to see an option - appetizer OR dessert.

I think in theory that is a good idea, but in reality, we had a refrigerator full of extra desserts on our last day. When you stay on property, at least in the moderates, the fridge is a small dorm style, so what it can hold isn't all that much once you factor in the pop & oj bottles already in it. Taking things back is easy to do, but when you have or get stuck with late ADRS it's hard to finish dinner at 8:oo or later then think about finishing it up when you get back to the room.

I think most people think, imo, that the dessert is the wasted part of the DDP. If it was just on the TS that might be ok, but you get it with your QS meal two. I'm not used to eating a lot of desserts much less two per day. Granted you don't need to eat them, but 1) they usually give them to you anyway and 2) you've paid for them.

I'd much rather see the appetizer return and ditch the desserts. Or lose both and bring back the tip coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought there was such a thing as "too much deserts" but I was wrong!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forever a child View Post
    I never thought there was such a thing as "too much deserts" but I was wrong!
    LOL- who knew? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

We have paid for the Deluxe DP, the regular DP, and no dining plan. I can honestly say that the Deluxe was too much food, we checked out with unused dining credits. The regular dining plan wasn't too much food, however, I felt like we HAD to keep all of our ADR's in order to justify paying for it. I may feel differently if it was "free", but I'm getting a considerable AP discount on my room. Also, I have to agree with the OP. We didn't use the dining plan last trip, and felt so much more relaxed. I wasn't stressed out about having to get to a restaurant. If the kids were tired, we just grabbed a CS meal. I didn't feel like I had to get my money's worth and order desserts when we were full.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

It is a no brainer for us. With 6 adults ( now that the kids are teens) eating for 14 days it outweighs any other discount we've seen. And I must say that Disney's Free Dining promotion is working. The purpose was to increase park attendance during the off peak season and it worked. I know for a fact that we couldn't return every fall without such a discount.
    '72 Kissimee
    July '94 AS Sports
    Aug '05 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Aug '06 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Sept '08 POP ( FREE DINING)
    Oct '09 POP ( FREE DINING)

Post Thanks / Like

On our offsite trip we didn't have dining of course but the second trip we did. I wouldn't go without it. We did find that at times we paid for cheaper items OOP and saved our dining plan credits for the more expensive. Problem with that was on check out day we found we still had a few credits on our card. i believe they were snack credits though.

We are big eaters and contemplated doing the Deluxe Dining because I want to eat at 2 signature dining restaurants. Without the dining plan I would worry about what I am spending on food and making sure we have enough money to eat where we want. With the dining plan I can plan our meals according to the dining plan participants.

With the new room discount that is out we will still save more with free dining so hopefully they will offer it again for our trip in September sinc e we missed out on booking in Dec. Since we are staying Club level at WL I have agreed to pass up on the deluxe Dining upgrade
    Me DD 15 DD 15 DS17 DH

MARCH 2008 OFFSITE
    ME, DS13 DD13 DS15

MARCH 2009 POR
    ME, DH DD14 DD14

SEPTEMBER 2011
    ME, DH, DD15 DD15
    16TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

Post Thanks / Like

Last time we went we had free dining and while I enjoyed knowing it was all paid ahead of time, I hated feeling like I was wasting food. Plus, with a then 3 year old and an 18 month old, after 4 character meals they were done so we canceled the rest and just traded in our TS for QS meals. I did like it when they would at least give you credits back for the trade outs though, now you lose them!

We also felt rushed at times trying to make it to planned meals. While we tried hard to have reservations at places in the parks we were visiting that day, sometimes we'd still end up on the other side of the park and then have to stop and come all the way back to eat or when we did O'hana we had to rush to catch the monorail to get there on time. It just ended up cumbersome rather than helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree. This has been my complaint with the DDP (even when it's free). We just don't eat desserts very often and usually just forfeit that part of the meal. The dining plan used to be a much better deal when an appetizer and tip were included. Now--not so much.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Loved reading all of your comments and thoughts. Very interesting, and never thought about some of the points that other posters made.

I agree that the DDP isn't the deal it once was.

It works for my family, and we enjoy using it! We eat out at least once a week, so know how much meals cost. Lunch in the parks is costing me between 40 and 50 bucks per day for my family of four. Now, while I realize nothing is "FREE" when Disney offers the DDP for "FREE" I have found value in that, and my kids think I'm being really generous with snacks and stuff. I also save my Disney reward dollars from VISA and use that for tips and extras in the parks.
    I checked prices over and over again to go this year, and going at the end of August with the Free DDP saved me over a $1,000 for the exact same trip I wanted in March. Also factoring in that it is peak season over Value, I'm still getting the same trip, just a little warmer temperatures.
    For my family and how we like to vacation the DDP works for us. We mainly eat a quick breakfast in our room, use a CS for lunch and TS for dinner, or TS for a character breakfast and then a CS for dinner. Snacks we use for ice-cream or treats in the park.
    I enjoyed reading all the comments on this post.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: