Quantcast Akershus or Garden Grill

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Akershus or Garden Grill

I've got a dilemna and I need some opinions. On my next WDW trip, I'll be at the Castle for lunch on a Sunday. The next day I've got ressies for lunch at Akershus. So that's two straight princess meals, which my daughter will love, and my son....will probably love, but not for the same reasons.

I've never been to the Garden Grill, so I don't know what I'm missing. I know that Mickey and pals are there, but we'll be seeing them a few days later at Chef Mickey's. I love the food at Akershus - how does GG rate?
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The food at GG is good, but not as good as Akershus. GG food is served family style - some sort of meat, side and desert... not as creative but still tasty.
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

GG is one of my must go to while at The World. Great character interaction, and great food. Everything served is grown on property. If I remember correctly you get chicken, flank steak, fried cat fish, and mixed veggies for adults, and chicken fingers and fries for kids. I love the cat fish. GG is really a hidden gem in my opinion.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

GG was a great time for us,character's were extra special with our kidsThe food was good...You are actually moving but its so slow you don't realize it until you notice the change of scenery(awesome)...but think I read recently that the characters are not there anymorecould be wrong?
    Dec 2010~Pop Century
    May 2008~Coronado Springs
    Sep 2005~Port Orleans(fq)
    Oct 2003~LBV
    April 2001~Allstar Sports

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, the characters are still at Garden Grill -- they just serve during shorter hours. They used to have meals going all day -- (I adored the ice cream social ) now, they only do dinner. Because of my allergies (in this case, apples) I need to eat off the children's menu. This summer the children's steak fries had been removed from the meal -- replaced with sweet potato fries. It was great for me, but my children wished they still had the great steak fries. The desserts are not as good as they used to be (the hot pan of cooky was a family favorite) but overall the menu does please -- and the characters are great.

Post Thanks / Like

we ate there on september 30th.
    the characters are still there.
    Garden Grill is great if you want character interaction and I love the fact that the restaurant is moving.

The food is just okay in my opinion. It was our second time there and we went back for the ambiance, not for the food. If you like big flavors and variety, this is not for you.

I think they should update their menu and be more connected with the living with the land ride. I would love to have a great mix of what we see on the ride be served on my plate.

I love Akershus.
    last time in WDW : October 2012
    going back in August 2013!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You don't mention how old your daughter is, but considering the princesses are face characters, would she be upset if any of the princesses looked different from one day to the next? Or they didn't remember the conversation she had with Princess XYZ the very day before. I mention this because my son fully expected Mickey to remember, out of all the many children he sees every day, what they "talked" about, and that wasn't even from one day to the next.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    Or they didn't remember the conversation she had with Princess XYZ the very day before. I mention this because my son fully expected Mickey to remember, out of all the many children he sees every day, what they "talked" about, and that wasn't even from one day to the next.
    Great point! Hadn't really thought of that. She's 5 and a lot more aware this time around. I really love the food at Akershus - I've been there my last 4 trips. But at this point, I'm leaning towards switching to Garden Grill. I'm sure the food won't be as great, but you can't get too much of Mickey, right?
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Garden Grill has great character interaction, a unique experience (our kids when smaller loved the idea of a moving restaurant) and food that while not "the best of the best" to an adult...was very much enjoyed by the kids (not bad, by adult standards...but more of the home style meat and potatoes meal.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We ate at the Garden Grill for the first time in August and loved it. The characters interaction was great, they spent a ton of time with us especially when were trying to find the hidden Mickey in the mural The food was delicious and plentiful. And our server was very attentive. We will definitely eat here again.
    Sept 99 Caribbean Beach
    Sept 00 AS Mu
    Sept 01 Wilderness Lodge & Our Disney Wedding
    May 02 AS Mo
    Sept 03 AS Mo
    Sept 05 Pop
    Sept 07 Pop
    Sept 08 Pop
    Sept 09 SSR
    Dec 09 AKL KV
    Aug 10 AKL KV
    Dec 10 SSR
    Sept 11 AKL KV
    Jan 12 Marathon Weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Akershus has better food, period. And hey....princesses!

Garden Grill has Mickey, Pluto, Chip, and Dale for characters (we were there two weeks ago). The food is not as good as Akershus, but it is all you can eat. The service is also fairly slow. We've been twice, and both times our meal took at least 90 minutes....which coincidentally is about the amount of time it takes for the restaurant to make a full rotation.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Akershus for the food, GG for the character interaction. It just depends on what's more important to you.

Post Thanks / Like

We love GG but thought Aker was
    (we did love the princesses though)
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Great point! Hadn't really thought of that. She's 5 and a lot more aware this time around. I really love the food at Akershus - I've been there my last 4 trips. But at this point, I'm leaning towards switching to Garden Grill. I'm sure the food won't be as great, but you can't get too much of Mickey, right?
    We got lucky and Had the same Ariel at Akershus and at CRT 3 nights apart... she remembered us as the cute couple from the norway breakfast.

But yes the face characters all look different and its very noticable... probably even for a kid who would be paying more attention to them then most.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

We enjoyed Garden Grill when we ate there and have it planned again for our trip in February. I asked my daughter which one she wanted, she's 8, and she chose Garden Grill. She loves that the restaurant moves. Plus, she's REALLY picky and didn't enjoy the food in Norway very much.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garden Grill like a hidden Gem

We ate at GG for the 1st time last week. We have always tried to get reservations there and it has always been booked. We happened to be in the Land and hubby said, go ask to see if they'd take our name for a wait. So, we did and it was only a 15 min. wait. It was delicious. Family style food of turkey, stuffing cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, flank steak, warm rolls with maple butter. and delicious apple crisp. Mickey Pluto, Chip & Dale. Enjoy!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: