Quantcast WDW Bus Driver Assaulted by Guest

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb WDW Bus Driver Assaulted by Guest

Disney bus driver placed on paid leave after YouTube confrontation

Video shows man shoving, choking driver at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

By Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel
    12:06 AM EDT, October 15, 2010

A Walt Disney World Resort bus driver has been placed on paid leave after a physical confrontation between the driver and a guest that was captured on video and uploaded to YouTube.com.

In the video, which the YouTube poster says was shot at Disney's Hollywood Studios, a person shoves and chokes the driver of the bus in what appears to be an unprovoked attack.

According to the video description, the would-be passenger in the video was upset when the driver told him that he and his family would have to wait for another bus to take them to Epcot.

The description says the video starts in the middle of the incident, missing "the most intense part of this fight."

From the video description: "A man and his wife with her baby were waiting for the bus. There wasn't enough room on the bus so the bus driver told them he would call another one. The man was enraged and threw the baby at the bus driver. The woman got her baby and moved back away from them."

That's when the unknown cameraman started recording, the description says, capturing a brief flurry of shoving, and the passenger putting his hands around the bus driver's throat.

In the video, screams can be heard from the crowded area when the confrontation escalates. Several people in the area call for security.

After the two men are separated, the would-be passenger tells a security officer that the bus driver was blocking him and his wife from getting on.

"He see me, I was waiting here … and he tried to block me" the man says in the video. "He let everyone passing through get in first before us."

As the bus driver begins to tell his side of the story, the man interrupts. "We have a baby, you know," he says. "We're supposed to get the priorities."

A Disney spokeswoman said the bus driver had been placed on paid leave while the company reviews the incident.

The company would not provide further comment while the confrontation is being investigated.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When the video only shows the result and not the start, you lose a lot of context (remember the Department of Education earlier this year?)

I'm surprised law enforcement wasn't mentioned in the article. I'm guessing there's probably more to this story than what's out right now.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the video...
    The driver should be given a raise for not decking the guy. I'm always amazed that there are people that selfish and self-centered out there. The funny thing is, if he had just waited for the next bus, I'm sure he would have gotten to his destination quicker than he did!
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Wow.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    I'm surprised law enforcement wasn't mentioned in the article. I'm guessing there's probably more to this story than what's out right now.
    I agree, I have been reading more but right now it could just be rumor so I won't post. Hopefully one of our fellow intercotees will come along and update us.

I do wonder though why no one had the driver's back especially when the attacker's friend cornered him?
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I find this so sad . How can a person get so angry at such a minor thing? Look, we've all been in that situation where we're tired and just want to get on the bus and go and the bus is full. You just wait for the next one, it's not a big deal. I feel sorry for the driver having to deal with this situation. Although I do have to say that the comment the man made that "he has a baby and should be given priority" was funny. Doesn't most everyone at Disney have a child with them? I think this speaks volumes as to the sense of entitlement people have these days. Just sad.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! It's a ten minute walk from DHS to Epcot. To throw a baby at someone over that seems, well, silly...

Post Thanks / Like

I feel bad for the baby. What chance in life does he have with a father that stupid?

Post Thanks / Like

Omg!!!!
    CBR (Martinique Bldg 25): April 2006
    CBR (Jamaica Bldg 45): October 2007
    POR (Alligator Bayou 18): March/April 2010
    POP: (70s, Building 6): September 2010
    POP: (70s, Building 6): September 2011
    POFQ: September 2013
    POFQ: September 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Thoughts

The driver should receive an award. Regardless of what you do or where you work, to not respond in kind when you are assaulted is an amazing testament to his professionalism. The "guest" and I use that term lightly should be advised that he is no longer welcome in the parks, his name and SSN should be recorded and he should be banned for life. Actions like this cannot be tolerated.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a terrible situation. But as an aside, I'm sad that we, as a society, feel the need to Youtube everything these days. How about some respect for the driver? The baby? The human condition? Just because one has video, doesn't mean it has to be posted on Youtube for the world to see. Of course, this might end up helping the driver, but why not just offer it privately to sources who can use the information? This seems to encourage bad behavior for the sake of having something to put up for entertainment value on Youtube.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Good lord! What must this guy be like to deal with in daily life?
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely crazy. Wonder when the guy will file his lawsuit against Disney-cause you know it will happen!
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

We always seem to run into people at the parks that think they don't have to wait in line like the rest of us, but this is crazy!
    *A dream is a wish your heart makes*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    ...Just because one has video, doesn't mean it has to be posted on Youtube for the world to see. Of course, this might end up helping the driver ...
    Actually, I would hope that posting on youtube would deter things like this from happening. I kindof wish they would give out his name, address, etc. Hopefully he'll have to go through life being the stoonad who threw a baby at a bus driver.

As mentioned the entitlements need to stop, and if you need to embarrass people to have it happen, I'm cool with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    Just watched the video...
    The driver should be given a raise for not decking the guy. I'm always amazed that there are people that selfish and self-centered out there. The funny thing is, if he had just waited for the next bus, I'm sure he would have gotten to his destination quicker than he did!
    I'm thinking his next destination was not Epcot, but Orange County Jail. Assault and Child Endangerment charges should be filed.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the video over and over, and I'm amazed by the actions of everyone. It's good this guy had his meltdown in front of so many witnesses.

Drivers should just call security and step out of the bus to wait if they can't peacefully resolve the situation themselves. Unless someone in the "angry family" knows how to drive a bus, that should take care of it.

I noticed some people appeared to be offering up their seats to Angry Guy and his group. It didn't stop him from shouting and gesturing, though.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    Drivers should just call security and step out of the bus to wait if they can't peacefully resolve the situation themselves. Unless someone in the "angry family" knows how to drive a bus, that should take care of it.
    Stepping off the bus while there are so many pasengers aboard would be completely irresponsible on the part of the driver (and WDW, if they did enact a policy such as that). A guest who gets physically confrontational with a DRIVER is capable of who knows what else...

I think the driver did an exceptional job of trying to get the assailant to stand down. He repeatedly made maneuvers to get the man's hands down out of a combative stance. He did great, I think. Excellent self defense and I'm glad to hear that Disney "trains" its drivers to deal with this type of situation.

I'm a bit surprised that no other guests tried to help the driver, though. I mean, I understand not wanting to get involved, but that struggle went on a bit too long, I think. What happened to trying to help others out? This guy could have been taken down by any of the several people milling about on the ground outside the bus door...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

What a disaster.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005