Quantcast Help! Cooperstown, NY!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Cooperstown, NY!

Hi all! I am planning a surprise Anniversary trip for my husband to go to Cooperstown, NY. Our Anniversary is July 31st and I have planned for us to travel the weekend of October 23. He is a huge baseball fan, specifially Yankees. Any advice for the area. attractions, eateries, etc?

Thank you!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you with any real specifics. We werre there a few years back so it has been a while.

On the way there we stopped at Howe Caverns. We enjoyed it and going down into cool cavern was refreshing on a really hot day.

My memories of Cooperstown was the it seemed like a "real" Main St USA like the one at WDW but real.

You will enjoy it there.
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

We took our kids this past November - the first weekend. Let me just say that way up in the mountains, it was already much cooler than it was down here in Jersey. I had to stop in the general store and pick up hats and gloves for when we walked around.

As the PP stated, it is very "real main street USA". There is really not too much going on in town. We arrived later on Friday and were leaving Sunday morning. Well by 9pm both Friday and Saturday, most things were shut down for the night.

We had a nice casual dinner at Doubleday's Cafe right on the main street. We walked there from the hall of fame. Good food, decent prices - friendly employees.

Lots of gift and memorobilia stores on the main street. One after the other - almost all carrying pretty much the same stuff. Tons of Yankee stuff.

Do you have any plans on where you're staying yet? We stayed at an old inn right in town.

Overall, it was a really nice trip.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

In late fall there is not as much going on as the summer, but there's still beautiful foliage to see, the Hall of Fame of course, and the Farmers Museum/Fenimore House art gallery. The Omegang Brewery is delightful, you can schedule tours and tastings. I went to college nearby in Oneonta, so if you are up for a short drive hop on I88 and get dinner at Brooks BBQ, a lot of delicious BBQ for great prices (cheaper than you'll find in Cooperstown). If you want to eat in town I recommend the Doubleday Cafe. I hope you have fun!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for other activities, I think you're reasonably close to Watkins Glen (gorgeous scenic walk, culminating in a rather stunning waterfall). You're also fairly close to Corning, where the Corning Glass/Steuben factory is a nice tour. Sorry - don't rememmber eateries, it's been a while.
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your input. We leave this upcoming weekend and are really looking forward to it. Any other info you can offer is appreicated!
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket

Post Thanks / Like

How was it??? What did you do???
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

It was soooo much fun! We went to Ommegang Brewery, lots of fun, though the tastings pushed me over the ledge. I am a lightweight. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the brewerly tour. We picked up some goodies!

We also went to the Fly Creek Cider Mill and enjoyed a cute little lunch and did some shopping, cider and local cheese.

We ate dinner at Brooks BBQ as you recommended and we were delighted. Anthony was so happy with that recommendation! Thank you!!!! The food was good and the atmosphere is even better! Lots of fun.

On Saturday we went to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Prior to that we had breakfast at Doubleday Cafe. It was so delicious! Pumpkin waffles! The Hall of Fame was wonderful. Anthony really enjoyed himself and we had a good time looking at all the memorbilia. We took about 4 hours to do the museum and then decided to head back to doubleday cafe for a late lunch. Again, we werent disappointed. Delicious food!

That afternoon we did some window and store looking in all the shops. At night, we went into Oneonta and shopped in the local mall.

It was a wonderful weekend. Thank you for all of your advice! It was perfect!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: