Quantcast Silly Symphony Swings are OPEN!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Silly Symphony Swings are OPEN!

I just spent a fabulous morning at DCA with my DS4. Silly Symphony Swings are up and running, and boy are they fun! Much cooler than the old Orange Stinger swings. And, the best part (for parents of small kids) is that they have tandem (double) swings for kids 40"-48" so the kid can ride next to an adult. (Previously, the swings had a minimum height requirement of 48").

My son loved this ride so much that we rode it three times! Loved the new artwork on the swings, the conductor Mickey on top, and the music.

Also, the Little Mermaid and CarsLand construction is REALLY coming along. The basic steel structure for the LM is up and you can visualize what the building will look like. Carsland is progressing very nicely as well. LOTS of work going on. Got me excited!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

The tandem swings actually were added to the Orange Stinger all the way back in mid-November 2008 so they aren't a completely new addition but something we wanted to keep for Silly Symphony Swings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    The tandem swings actually were added to the Orange Stinger all the way back in mid-November 2008 so they aren't a completely new addition but something we wanted to keep for Silly Symphony Swings
    I did not know that. I rode the Orange Stinger WAY earlier than 2008 for the last time...

In any event, those tandem swings are GREAT!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

How COOL! Next time you go if you snap a picture and email it to me I would love to post it on the site!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    How COOL! Next time you go if you snap a picture and email it to me I would love to post it on the site!
    I snapped a couple with my cell phone. I'll email them to you!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I wish they had swings like this in WDW.....my DS11 son has special needs and I am afraid to let him get on regular swing rides because he doesn't understand danger and has no fear but he talks about 'riding swings' ALL the time. This would be perfect. Oh well...guess it just means I will have to take him to DL. Now, if I can just figure out how he would do on an airplane...
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Briansmom View Post
    I wish they had swings like this in WDW.....my DS11 son has special needs and I am afraid to let him get on regular swing rides because he doesn't understand danger and has no fear but he talks about 'riding swings' ALL the time. This would be perfect. Oh well...guess it just means I will have to take him to DL. Now, if I can just figure out how he would do on an airplane...
    Both my kids have special needs (Autism spectrum) and we just flew from CA to WDW!!! My kids did great, and boy, did I have fears...

My advice: Fly Jet Blue. TV's are a savior for long flights with antsy/anxiety ridden kids who have no concept of what it means to be annoying to others.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Much cooler than the old Orange Stinger swings.
    What's different besides the decor? It's still a basic swing (in a circle ) ride, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Both my kids have special needs (Autism spectrum) and we just flew from CA to WDW!!! My kids did great, and boy, did I have fears...

My advice: Fly Jet Blue. TV's are a savior for long flights with antsy/anxiety ridden kids who have no concept of what it means to be annoying to others.
    Thanks so much for the tip! Not sure when this trip would happen, but it's nice to hear tips from someone who 'completely understands' cuz most people don't understand no matter how much they think they do, bless their hearts! My DS is on the spectrum as well with developmental delays....and he loves WDW and Donald and Goofy and Minnie and Manny....I hear about it about 100 times a day (at least). And while I'm ok with that, I think people on a long plane ride would probably want to push the eject button on us! Thanks again!
    Disney BORN & BRED!

78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of photos courtesy of BrerGnat
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by NotaGeek; 06-03-2010 at 01:55 AM.

Please s

Post Thanks / Like

That is totally awesome! Thanks for the photos! DS would be in pure heaven!
    Disney BORN & BRED!

78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    What's different besides the decor? It's still a basic swing (in a circle ) ride, correct?
    Yes, it's still a basic swing in a circle. BUT, I love that it's open and you can see out over the lagoon. I also really think the ride music is WAY better than the buzzing bees. And, it might be just me, but the ride seemed to go higher and faster than before, with a bit more tilting action. It's been a LONG time since I rode the Orange Stinger, so I can't really remember the details of the ride itself, but this one made my tummy drop and I got pretty dizzy, which has never happened to me on flying swings elsewhere.

The ride itself is either more intense, or I'm getting old. Maybe Mufasa can comment...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

The ride looks better than it used to, though it is one of the few rides at DCA that I've never done.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

And, it might be just me, but the ride seemed to go higher and faster than before, with a bit more tilting action.
    You're not the first to wonder if the Silly Symphony Swings are faster or higher than they were as the Orange Stinger but the ride is the same as before.

Removing the orange peel structure probably has a lot to do with the perception of it being faster.

Standing outside of the structure you really didn't get a sense of just how high the swings would reach- the top of the structure not including the conductor Mickey figure would be 12.1 meters at full height or about 40 feet.

If you're on one of the outside most swings you'll get to a maximum height of approx. 8.5 m (just under 28 ft) and at the lowest part of the cycle you're about 3 m/10 ft from the ground.

From inside the orange peel as a rider you didn't have a lot of visual cues to see just how high or fast you were swinging since the view of the lagoon was mostly obscured and there weren't many visual cues, but being in an partially enclosed space the fear is more of flying into the orange peel structure. With it being open now you're flying over the lagoon (and the platform for the swings itself is already a story above the lagoon/ground level) and also swing out over the queue structure which also exaggerates the height.

Opening up the ride also adds a nice visual/kinetic energy to the area. The orange peel itself was a weenie but with the removal of the themed bee seats and some of the other aspects like the orange scent on the attraction you could argue it just became generic.

Silly Symphony Swings are technically in soft opening previews as in addition to the music there are some other minor effects that are being tweaked. I also think it really shines at night time (the entire lighting package for the entire pier is very impressive now as the frame for World of Color).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Mufasa!

Now I know I'm just getting old.

I sort of agree that the ride is a bit "off the shelf" now with the Orange and bees gone. I thought that the seats were supposed to look like musical instruments "swirling" around the tornado? Was that the original plan, or am I just imagining things? I think that would have been something REALLY cool and would have added so much to the ride.

At this point, the music is good, but it's REALLY loud. Like, so loud that you can hear the attraction from virtually EVERYWHERE else in Paradise Pier, and all the way down to where the Little Mermaid building begins. They should turn down the volume a bit.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pics from the DisneyParks Blog. (follow the link for some cool details about the re-themed attraction!)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Please s

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: