Quantcast Do you pull your kids out of school? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll be taking our sons out for a week after Thanksgiving this year. We've done it before, but only our oldest was in school, and he was in elementary school. This year he'll be in 8th grade. The funny thing is, he is the one we're getting resistance from about missing school. He doesn't want to have to make up all the work. We're sure he'll be fine and will be able to make all the work up when he gets back to school.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As a high school teacher, I deal with many requests for vacation work. It is usually not a big problem, but I--and I would imagine many of my fellow teachers--have been burned by more than one student and family. I so appreciate it when parents/students give ample time for me to consider the work that will be missed, and to decide what I'll send along and what the student should make up when s/he returns (it often depends on the content and types of activities). When students don't already miss lots of school, are generally hard workers and respectful, and do the work given, it typically works out fine.

However, I've had some very upsetting situations. I've had students who were failing classes or on the verge of failing miss for a week at a time. I've had disrespectful students tell me that they were leaving for a week and "there's nothing you can do about it!" I had a young man miss two straight weeks of a public speaking class, and when I asked him to come in after school to make up the speeches he missed (the class had progressed way beyond those presentations), his parents refused, saying that since their taxes paid my salary I should let their son make up the work when it was convenient for them. I've also (more commonly) worked very hard to assemble work, including typing up lecture notes, and had students come back to school with notes from parents saying "Sorry, we couldn't fit in any time for homework so I told Sally you'd give her an extension." When teachers seem upset about students missing class, remember that not all families are respectful or responsible, and that makes it a negative issue for many educators who truly care about kids.
    2004: Honeymoon! All Star Movies!
    2006: All Star Movies
    June 2008: Pop Century
    October-November 2008: Pop Century
    October 2010: Pop Century
    August 2012: AS Movies...my son's first trip!
    August 2013: CBR
    August 2014: Pop
    August 2015: Riverside!

Post Thanks / Like

Because of my job with a major snack food company i could never get any time off when dd wasnt in school we always told her that her grades had to be kept up and any homework had to done as soon as possible when we got back
    But I say Nay Nay

Post Thanks / Like

We took my sister's two children out of school for several days(i think it was 4 days) to take them to Disney. The oldest at 13 had no problem with school, but the younger one had a huge problem. Her mom went in and told each teacher and principal what we were planning. The principal said he did not believe in taking children out of school for vacation and marked her truant. My sister was so upset she said never again.! This girl is in the top of her grade and does not miss school. It is ridiculous that this was done. I think sometimes school officials overstep their bounds.
    My kids never had this problem and we would take them out for trips all the time.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, thank you to everyone that's replied! I wouldn't take the kids out for more than 3 days and, at this point, I think I'll wait to see how my son's doing at the beginnig of the year with the adjustment to middle school, and see how his teachers are, and decide then.

I have to say that I really appreciate all the information provided here -
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: