Quantcast Change to Refillable Mug System? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    the waterparks use codes for days of the week, and they reuse the same codes...not that I know first hand or anything after trying it once, I went home and peeled off all my old stickers so I wouldn't be tempted to cheat the system again.
    So it's confirmed then...

Really, I see this as a cat and mouse game, people will find ways around the system regardless of what they do. If they go with some sort of code, people will just buy one code and share it.

If they want to stop this from happening, they need to pony up and pay someone to monitor each machine. Those CMs will pay for themselves and probably be cheaper than trying to build some IT infrastructure to handle this. They are doing all this work to prevent hurting people's feelings by kleeping them honest, AND they are the ones breaking the rules to begin with!

Or, if just get rid of them and have people buy a drink when they are thirsty. I don't really see why they are hanging on to this notion of all you can drink for a set price. Sure, a few people will complain, but then it will be business as usual and everyone will forget they even had an all you can drink buffet.

Raise the price of the mugs if they aren't making enough money. Everyone else seems to bo OK with punishing the ones who are honest becuase of the action of those that are dishonest.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Or, if just get rid of them and have people buy a drink when they are thirsty. I don't really see why they are hanging on to this notion of all you can drink for a set price.
    Really??? I'll tell you why ... because they're making a fortune off it!

Those mugs probably cost around $1 to produce in China somewhere (if that). Based on the favorable terms Disney gets from Coke for fountain soda, I'd guess that one fill-up of one of those mugs costs somewhere around half a cent.

You do the math!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

But if they charged people $1.89 (I don't know current prices, I drink water in WDW) every time they got thirsty, you don't think they would make more?

That's where I'm going, then they don't have to worry about ordering too many Refillable mugs, they don't need to worry about people using old mugs, they don't have to spend countless IT hours to build a system that will only hurt those that are playing by the rules anyway...

If they are spending money to "fix" a problem, then it stands to reason they aren't making as much as they want/need. Spend the $7.47 an hour to have someone stand guard of the machines or put them behind the counter and give the CMs a little more responsibility to dole out drinks. Actually, give the CM cleaning up the spilled catsup and refilling the forks an extra quarter and tell them to slap the guests refilling "illegal" cups! DONE! That system won't break down the next time someone trips over a cable in the Utilifdors....

Post Thanks / Like

If they are spending money to "fix" a problem, then it stands to reason they aren't making as much as they want/need.....
    IF being the most important word. I will beleive this change is coming when I see it.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love a bar code or card system. My issues are green rather than caring what other people are doing .... We carry our stainless steel water bottles around Disney and refill them, because I will not contribute to the plastic water bottle epidemic. It would be fabulous to be able to the same thing with pop, and reduce so much of the cup waste.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

But if they charged people $1.89 (I don't know current prices, I drink water in WDW) every time they got thirsty, you don't think they would make more?
    No, simply because, people like me just wouldn't buy pop as often if it was $1.89 (or whatever) each time. That would get too expensive! I'll bring my own cup and fill it at a water fountain for free if I'm thirsty.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I know this isn't the same scale, but when we were at Williamsburg, they had an employee fill our mugs when we needed it.

They were great, we'd go into a refill location, and someone would see us, and grab us out of the line and refill our drink.

So, it can be done
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

1 - Old mugs... last time at POP I saw ten year old mugs being used. I also saw people just walking up with there own cups and mugs and enjoying a hot or cold drink.

2 - How about a imbedded chip the reads if the mug is valid before fillng?

3 - Fountain soda is cheap per gallon and in all not to much of a loss to Disneys bottom line.

I know how to solve this problem...
    FREE CUPS AND DRINKS JUST FOR STAYING ON A WDW RESORT!!!! (Root Beer)
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post

2 - How about a embedded chip the reads if the mug is valid before filling?
    Then what do you do with the old mugs that were good for free refills forever?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    I guess Forever isn't as long as it once was!

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    I know this isn't the same scale, but when we were at Williamsburg, they had an employee fill our mugs when we needed it.

They were great, we'd go into a refill location, and someone would see us, and grab us out of the line and refill our drink.

So, it can be done
    That would mean adding staff, and staffing is already a problem. They would be better off removing all refill stations and make you go to a counter/kiosk to have staff there refill it.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I just have troulbe believing that this is nearly as big a deal to Disney as it is to a lot of posters. To keep people from using old mugs, they would have to do one of two things that would cost them money. Add employees (who's job it would be to cause possible confrontations, not a DIsney thing), retro-fit all of the soda fountains, which would cost a lot of money, and might get people to buy mugs, or might just upset the people who bring back mugs and make them not drink as much, in which case Disney just lost money and good will. I just don't see it happening.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Trade them in for a pre-programed forever mug.
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post
    I know how to solve this problem...FREE CUPS AND DRINKS JUST FOR STAYING ON A WDW RESORT!!!! (Root Beer)
    I actually think that's the best idea on how to handle this. They could add in a $15 charge or however they want to handle it to each room and market the "free" fountain drinks as a perk for resort guests. Problem solved. No monitoring involved. No worrying about "rules". I'm not saying I want to pay more for my room, but most folks would never notice the extra charge. Even if they did $5/person they would still probably come out ahead. They wouldn't have to give resort mugs, necessarily, but something could be done and folks would lap it up. It's kind of like the DDP. So many folks like the "convenience" of pre-paying for their food they never do the math to see if its actually a good deal.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    I actually think that's the best idea on how to handle this. They could add in a $15 charge or however they want to handle it to each room and market the "free" fountain drinks as a perk for resort guests. Problem solved.
    Except that wouldn't be fair to people like me who do not drink soda, and I especially don't want to contribute my $ to something I believe is bad for peoples health.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

(Too late to edit last post)

Now, if everyone wants to pay extra so I can drink free beer all week, that I would go for.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Except that wouldn't be fair to people like me who do not drink soda, and I especially don't want to contribute my $ to something I believe is bad for peoples health.
    So just include coffee, tea and bottled water, OJ and whatever other beverages. Disney would still make profit.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm thats an idea.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Since so many comments seem to try to prove how Disney is so greedy and only looking for a profit look at the bottom of any of your refillable mugs.

No, they are not made in China for a dollar or something. They are made by Whirley Products in Warren, PA, a company which employs, and gives opportunity, to many developmentally disabled adults.
    10/85 Off Site
    2/88 Disney Vil
    10/90 Disney Vil
    10/93 CB & GF
    5/94 WL
    12/95 Cont
    10/98 WL & CS
    12/00 DixLand & Poly
    12/04 Cabins & YC
    10/05 POFQ
    5/07 Cont & BCV
    10/07 Pop
    12/08 POR!
    5/09 Poly!
    5/10 WL
    10/10 POFQ
    5/11 CS
    10/11 PORS & BW
    5/12 Pop
    6/12 gave in & just moved

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Donald's Girl View Post
    Since so many comments seem to try to prove how Disney is so greedy and only looking for a profit look at the bottom of any of your refillable mugs.

No, they are not made in China for a dollar or something. They are made by Whirley Products in Warren, PA, a company which employs, and gives opportunity, to many developmentally disabled adults.
    Sure Now they will be blamed paying cut rate prices using under paid disabled people and being greedy...

Please... JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care what system they bring in as long as people don't keep abusing it. I get so darn mad when I see people using cups from two years ago. Rules are rules and if get rid of the refillable stations, it's our own fault. I have two kitchen cabinets filled with disney cups and that's where they are put and stay when we get home.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: