Quantcast Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Announced! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

For those interested in the history of this project, it would appear that the test building reported in Potential New Resort: Disney's Animation Inn & Suites was indeed preparation for this resort.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

FANTASTIC!!!

Now having a family myself, I can appreciate the importance of these value resorts. We're going to stay at Pop Century in January, and this new resort will definitely be part of our immediate trip following its completion.

My son's favorite movie is Cars, and my daughter's favorite movie is The Little Mermaid. What will we do? Will we need to split up the family? Oh, the choices...

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing, over a year and a half after Jason posted the "test", it comes into reality.

Although I'm somewhat surprised at the announcement at this time, I'm glad that Disney is doing something with the plain-old creepy property which currently exists. They're finally getting the fact that they need to create affordable resorts for the larger families - thus keeping these same groups on property.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I'm not thrilled about this, at all.

These buildings should have been Pop Century: Legendary Years (1900 - 1940).

The only reason that development stalled on the Legendary Years buildings was due to 9/11 and Disney's fear of lowered tourism. There's no reason to re-theme the resort, especially, since it's connected to the Pop Century: Classic Years resort.

The Art of Disney Animation Resort was a remnant of Eisner, back when he was displeased with the Pop Century and wanted to re-theme the WHOLE resort as the Disney Animation Inn. The idea should have died when Eisner left the company, along with the rest of his bad ideas like changing Alien Encounter: ExtraTERRORestrial to Stitch's Great Escape.

Now the Pop "Century" is doomed to be half a century.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited to see this. The lost Legendary Years section is an absolute eyesore and to complete it in any way is great. Theming to specific Disney movies- all I have to say is I can't believe it's taken them so long. LOL. My son loves Cars. I can't wait to see what the Cars rooms/section looks like!

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

First, welcome to Intercot, Elranzer.

Second, I can see your point about Pop Century only covering half a century, but I really don't think people are going to remember it was originally Eisner's idea once it opens. As a father, I'm estatic that my son and daughter will be staying in a resort that will amplify movies they absolutely love. I also think it's kind of neat there will be a walkway between this resort and Pop Century. They'll be like sister resorts.

That's just my point of view as a father of young kids, but I do see where you're coming from. Oh...and I do agree with you about Alien Encounter: ExtraTERRORestrial 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Who announced this? I don't see anything on the Disney News Release website.
    There's a lengthy story in today's Orlando Sentinel, which quotes a few Disney execs, including Jay Rasulo.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    I'm glad to see that they're finishing these as a Value resort. Families that cannot afford the upper level resorts should not be forgotten. There are enough Deluxe and DVC properties on site already for those that can enjoy them.
    I didn't mention DVC in my comment... There aren't alot of mods though and alot of people prefer them over value. I ,too, am glad there are value choices- I guess this resort makes sense as it's already partially built and over by Pop.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Im a mods fan myself but i have to admit the family suites at music were worth every penny paid. If these are more of the same, power to em i say! I will certianly stay there.
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great. We are a family of five and were just saying the other night that this is our last year to stay on site. Our children are too young to have their own rooms, and nothing else would be in our price range. This will be a great value for us.
    Off-Site 1989
    Carribean Beach 2001
    Port Orleans 2004
    POP Nov 2007
    House Rental for 7 nights/Port Orleans for 5 nights Aug 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! I'm quite pleased with this news and that they are going to be utilizing the space. While I agree it would have been nice to finish the Century, I think and hope this will be a very good option for larger and smaller families alike.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elranzer View Post
    I'm not thrilled about this, at all.

These buildings should have been Pop Century: Legendary Years (1900 - 1940).

The only reason that development stalled on the Legendary Years buildings was due to 9/11 and Disney's fear of lowered tourism. There's no reason to re-theme the resort, especially, since it's connected to the Pop Century: Classic Years resort.

The Art of Disney Animation Resort was a remnant of Eisner, back when he was displeased with the Pop Century and wanted to re-theme the WHOLE resort as the Disney Animation Inn. The idea should have died when Eisner left the company, along with the rest of his bad ideas like changing Alien Encounter: ExtraTERRORestrial to Stitch's Great Escape.

Now the Pop "Century" is doomed to be half a century.

Honestly, I can see a possible reason why they are doing it. Even though the decades in the legendary years have a lot of good things to focus on, it's impossible to finish the resort without covering the not so good stuff as well like the wars and the depression. Plus, more people are staying value and they probably want to give more options.

Now, although it would make a great history lesson for kids, a lot of people come to vacations to 'escape' from the outside world. I'm excited about it! I would be looking forward to The Lion King room or maybe Cars!

Anna
    June 2006-Disneymoon POR/DCL Wonder
    Sept/Oct-Las Vegas/D-land CCI
    June 2009 Eureka Springs/Branson
    Dec. 2009- Pop Century
    June 2010-Pop Century
    Oct. 2010-CBR/DCL
    Jan. 5-10 ASMU solo
    Oct 24-Nov. 1 AoA/Pop

Tubes are clear....no surgery needed

Disney fanatic, travel writer, foodie

Post Thanks / Like

My only complaint is that Cars and Finding Nemo haven't been around long enough to have staying power. We know that The Little Mermaid and The Lion King have made it, but Nemo and Cars.... Ehhh.... And Nemo has like, 3 attractions already. Maybe just make a Cars attraction and call it a day.
    '93, '94, '95, '97, '98 - Fort Wilderness
    '00 & '01 - Contemporary
    '02 - Old Key West
    '06 & '07 - Pop Century
    '09 - All-Star Music

'10 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the most fantastic news I have ever read on Intercot! My wife and I have kinda-sorta thought we would have 3 kids (but after the first one, a wild child, we may chicken out), and it was such a downer that a family of 5 or 6 was just thrown under the bus by Disney in terms of reasonably priced accommodations for families of this size.

I think Disney got it right at every turn: making it a value resort, putting in at the Pop site, theming to those 4 movies, and the mixing of both suites and regular rooms all at one location. I think the complaint department should close for the day and not reopen until tomorrow at 8am.

JUST TERRIFIC!!!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Well, geez, it's ABOUT TIME already! My gosh. That lot has been empty for, what, almost 10 years now???

I think this is a fantastic idea. Will really help all those larger families who scramble with having to reserve two (hopefully connecting) rooms for every trip. I think it's a very wise decision on Disney's part to finally open an "all suites" hotel (or close, to "all").

I suppose the Little Mermaid section will be the already completed buildings?

However, I have to question the choice of movies being represented. Isn't Lion King, essentially, the theme of the new AK DVC? And, sort of the whole AK lodge too? More or less? I wonder if they have an excess of building materials and decorations lying around in a warehouse somewhere that they need to use up. While Lion King was a huge movie, so was Beauty and the Beast, and even Aladdin, so why Lion King when that theme already exists?

I also think "why Nemo?". Isn't the CBR featuring Nemo in the rooms now? I mean, there are SO many movies to pick from.

And, I think it's odd to have a mix of Pixar and Disney movies represented. Why not go all out either way? I mean, Pixar IS essentially Disney now, but back when Nemo and Cars were created, they were still Pixar...

I don't know. We'll probably never stay there, but I think the Cars rooms would be a HUGE hit with my son.

And, I disagree with the lack of relevance of Cars. As a parent of two boys, 5 and 4, I can tell you that Cars is known around here a million times better than Lion King and Little Mermaid. We own all those movies, and my kids have never had any desire to watch anything but the Pixar films...that's what appeals to them. I really feel like for this generation of kids, it's the Pixar movies that will mean "Disney" to them, not so much the stuff made prior to 2000.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

Debating the choices, the only one I question is Finding Nemo. I would have preferred Monster's Inc. or Toy Story instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Who announced this? I don't see anything on the Disney News Release website.
    It is on their media site.

OFFIAL PRESS RELEASE:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (May 12, 2010) – Work begins soon on an exciting new resort hotel built around the themes of Disney animation, Walt Disney World Resort announced today. Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will be one-of-a-kind, featuring family suites designed around four themes: The Lion King, Cars, Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid.

Crowned by a 35-foot-tall model of King Triton, the family-friendly resort will have themed room interiors in its nearly 2,000 new units — 1,120 family suites in The Lion King, Cars and Finding Nemo wings and 864 themed rooms in The Little Mermaid wings. Suites will have both a living room and a bedroom.

“These themes have both compelling storylines and vivid visuals which will come together to create a truly memorable, immersive resort experience,” said Eric Jacobson, Senior Vice President of Walt Disney Imagineering. “With more multi-generational families vacationing together, guests are looking for places where they can play together and stay together. This resort was designed with the needs of families in mind, as we continue the Disney tradition of providing a great guest experience for every taste and budget.”

Added Tom Staggs, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts: “We are always looking for opportunities to expand and enhance our Walt Disney World offerings, and Disney’s Art of Animation Resort is a great example of those efforts. This new resort will feature some of our most beloved characters and stories in a unique and special way that we think our guests will really enjoy,” said “This project also underscores our optimism about the future, as we continue to invest in new experiences for our guests around the globe.”

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, the 26th resort at Walt Disney World, will be one-of-a-kind, with themed building exteriors and room interiors, and larger-than-life icons from the animated films in the courtyard areas. To be located next to Disney’s Pop Century Resort, all of the themed suites and rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort are expected to open by the end of 2012.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BrerGnat;2053568]
    However, I have to question the choice of movies being represented. Isn't Lion King, essentially, the theme of the new AK DVC? And, sort of the whole AK lodge too? More or less? I wonder if they have an excess of building materials and decorations lying around in a warehouse somewhere that they need to use up. While Lion King was a huge movie, so was Beauty and the Beast, and even Aladdin, so why Lion King when that theme already exists? [qUOTE]

You lost me here. I have stayed at AKL, and it's an African theme. I wouldn't call it "Lion King." When reading the Sentinel article and hearing the report on the news this am, it appeared to me that this new resort would be similar to Pop in its "look."

This is a great use of the space and the suites are a great idea!
    1974-1983 WDW day trips*92 WDW *94 Contemporary*97 WDW*97 Poly*98 DL PAC*99 DL DLH*2000 POFQ & CR*01 WDW*02 DLR DLH*02 WDW*03 POR*03 WDW 06 DVC Member*06 DLR*07 VBR*07 OKW*07 VWL*08 GCH*09 BLT*09 AKV*10 OKW*10 DLP-DH*11 BLT*11 AKL*12 BWV*14 Aulani*15 VGC*17 VGC*SDL TSH*17 TDR DAH*18 BC

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea. I have friends with a son who would give up Christmas to stay in a hotel themed like the movie Cars! They will undoubtedly stay there in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

this is very cool and a great use of the area. It will add more suites which is great and another awesome value resort for families. Disney has been losing the value costumers lately because many are staying off property when the values are booked up
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: