Quantcast Rental car- full size?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rental car- full size?

We are renting a full size car from National Car Co. @Orlando airport. Do you think that size car will hold 3 standard size suitcases, a double stroller, and 2 carry on bags?? Oh, and there will be 2 adults and 2 children in the car as well. I am worried we will need a larger car!! Help!!
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think when you rent the car there is a diagram showing what the car will hold...or I bet if you call them they might be able to tell you.

I'm thinking you might be able to fit the two suitcases and stroller in the trunk and then put the 2 carry on's in the back seat on the floor??????

Good Luck.
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

3 suitcases and the double stroller in the trunk??
    Tara

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I don't. We have been down this path so many times! There have been a few times we've had 3 suitcases, a large duffel bag, a pack and play and a double stroller and we could not fit it in the full size. I think that's comparable to your load. I think the hard part is trying to get the 3 standard suitcases and the double stroller in the trunk - it's pretty impossible. We struggled through it and creatively packed into some cars when we had a single stroller, but once we went to the double we had to go to the mini van. If you think you can get your stroller or one of the suitcases in the back seat of a car you might make it. I've learned that the full size doesn't really hold any more than the standard/intermediate car.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it helps but we usually get a compact car. It's just my wife and I though and we each have a standard suitcase and each have a carry on and it all fits in the trunks. So I would think you could fit what you need in a full size car. Remember you just need to get to and from the airport with all your stuff, during the rest of your stay your luggage will be in the room, you won't be hauling it around in the car with you to the Parks, ect.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try to pin down the car rental company on what they consider full-size. I've rented cars before described as full-size and they were actually mid-size at best. It seems the car rental companies distinguish car sizes much differently than the car lots! LOL
    May all the days of your life be filled with Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to work for Hertz and we considered a full size car to be in the Ford Taurus or Toyota Camry range. I don't think you could fit 3 suitcases and a double stroller in the trunk. You would probably be better off getting a small SUV such as a Ford Escape or something similar. Sometimes you get free upgrades to those things at airports, I would wait and see and then if you didn't get a free upgrade, ask for an upgrade and how much more it would be.

Post Thanks / Like

We are exactly in your shoes for our trip in 3 weeks. The SUV and min-van prices are outragous this year so I decided to get a full size car. The next car up is over $200 more. It's myself my wife and 2 boys and I've been wondering if everything will fit because we reserved a full size from Alamo. The previous trips we have had a SUV or a mini-van. We will have two suitcases, a dufflebag for the kids plus a sit and stand stroller. Now I know all of that will not fit in the trunk but I hope the stroller and the two suitcase will fit then we could always but the duffle in between the kids in the back seat. Just remember you will only need all of those bags in the car the day you arrive. I figured I could deal with it for about a half an hour. If your staying on the resort you can check your bags the day you leave at airline check-in. Hopefully we will get everything in.

Post Thanks / Like

If at least one of you can ride ME, they will transport your luggage to your resort. It might make life easier to have the kids and one adult take the bus and the other adult grab the car and drive it.

Depending on your airline, you may be able to check your bags at the resort and then everyone takes the car back to the airport.

I know to get your bags FROM the airport to the resort someone needs to ride the bus. I don't think that rule applies going back to the airport though. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I misread the original post, for some reason I thought it said 2 suitcases and a stroller.

Perhaps you should consider a mini-van, then you should have enough room.

We rented a Chevy Astro Van once, it was 7 of us plus luggage...we were pretty packed in but we all fit!!
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyRox's suggestion is an excellent one, and works very well. Last year we went with another couple (first-timers) and wanted a car for the week. We didn't need anything particularly large except for getting the luggage to/from the airport. Our solution was for the ladies to take DME (and the luggage) while us guys went and got the car and drove to the hotel with the carry-ons. Worked wonderfully.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're using National, another alternative would be to use DME for the airport transfer and pick up the rental at the Car Care Center or the Dolphin. You might be able to get a smaller car since you won't have to worry about suitcases and save some money.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Since you're using National, another alternative would be to use DME for the airport transfer and pick up the rental at the Car Care Center or the Dolphin. You might be able to get a smaller car since you won't have to worry about suitcases and save some money.

This is a great suggestion too! We have done it and with a little bit of homework, we found a convertible for $162 for 8 days. You just go to the hotel and call the car rental place and arrange for pick up at your resort. They come and take you to the rental place and it all goes very smooth. When you return the car they will give you a ride back to the resort. This is what we are doing for our next trip.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyRox - that is a great suggestion.

Hopefully, minnie will be staying on property and can do this. If not, then she may have to do some creative luggage-arranging in the car. I remember renting a car (here in NJ, not at MCO) and a Mazda3 was considered mid-size. So I'm thinking that a full-size is probably a Honda Accord, which gives you only 16 cu ft of trunk space.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I think we will try and fit it all in the car. It is really only for the to and from the airport part of the trip, so I think we can do it. Thanks!!
    Tara

Post Thanks / Like

Hey!

Just one suggestion - if you think you might need a bigger car, I would go ahead and book a bigger car now. Sometimes (and only sometimes) rental car companies will tell you that you need a bigger car and charge you several hundred dollars to "upgrade" (the highest amount I've heard is $300.) Usually they try to talk you into it, but since you're almost already convinced you might need a bigger car, you might end up feeling pressured into it.

Now, of course, if they run out of the smaller size, they might upgrade you for free, but I'd rather pay $70 now and reserve a bigger car than $150 to $300 later when I'm under pressure with the kids and the luggage and all the airport stress at the rental car company counter.
    Poly - 1995
    Poly - Easter 2008
    ASMu - Dec. 2008
    FW Cabins - June 2009
    POP - Nov. 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Reporting back, we did fit three normal size suitcases in the trunk, the double stroller closed up in the bac kseat between our DDs, who always had booster seats - so it can be done in a midsize car but it is tight. I had the carry on bag on my lap in the front seat. If your budget allows, I would say definitely g ofor a bigger car, but it can be done.
    Tara

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: