Quantcast Coral Reef... Why such extremes??? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    I agree that management makes all the difference. I wonder if Disney ever hears about the complaints for this and other restaurants, or if they just go into a black hole.

I've noticed a recurring theme with certain restaurants - either bad food, bad service, or both.

Isn't Disney paying attention and trying to do something?
    I think it's the fact that they know they have a captive audience (customers). Because of their location, and the huge crowds there, they know they don't have to depend on having such a stellar reputation to fill their tables. The popularity of the DDP hasn't helped this either. That's why we've seen the quality of even the better restaurants, like Le Cellier and even the California Grill decline in the past couple of years. They know their tables will be packed anyway.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this point has been discussed before, but it bears repeating here:
    I have had great experiences there, and will most likely not go back.
    Prior to DDP (yeah, you know me..sorry), there was less traffic, fewer little ones, and it was more of an upscale experience (food, service and atmosphere-wise).
    Now, I am not anti-little ones at dinner, and we have used DDP our last three trips.
    However, I believe that the DDP has led to higher traffic in TS locations that used to be considered "pricey" by lots of folks. I also think that, whereas people brought fewer small children to such spots when they were more "expensive", that disincentive is also gone.
    The last two times I have dined there, I have found it a little worn/raggedy looking, very loud, and only average food-wise. Love looking at the fish, dont like the dirty carpet, peeling wallpaper, and screams of children that the food may not appeal to as they run by our table. Just my two cents, but I think thats why there are extreme views.
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Joonyer and Kathy nailed it with "inconsistency." I have to disagree with people who say it used to be great. My only experience with Coral Reef was ten years ago, and it was so completely awful that there's no way I can ever get my husband to give it another try. And the reviews were very "love it" or "hate it" even back then. We decided to take a chance and went anyway-- and we were so sorry. It could easily have gone the other way, though. I've never been treated so badly and had such awful food. Other people in the same time period loved it. So, I think you need to take a chance and find out for yourself. It could go either way. The atmosphere is good and you probably won't regret it. The risk is that you have one bad meal at worst.

Le Cellier is the opposite story. It's so highly rated not because it's necessarily all that great, but because it is consistent. Some people find it over-rated, like me, but you rarely read about someone having a really bad meal. I would go back.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We tried it for the first time four years ago. It has been our favorite meal each year since. Not sure what it is people don't like. For us, the food has been FANTASTIC, the service has been stellar and the atmosphere wonderful! The only complaint I have had is that we usually have to wait 15 or 20 minutes for a table. I am willing to overlook this minor inconvenience because everything else has been so amazing!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I think it's the fact that they know they have a captive audience (customers). Because of their location, and the huge crowds there, they know they don't have to depend on having such a stellar reputation to fill their tables. The popularity of the DDP hasn't helped this either. That's why we've seen the quality of even the better restaurants, like Le Cellier and even the California Grill decline in the past couple of years. They know their tables will be packed anyway.
    You're right, of course. It's too bad that their status as the only game in town leads them to forget about food and service. DDP is good for Disney but bad for us. So many people LOVE it, so I guess it's here to stay
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrmGrninGost View Post
    We tried it for the first time four years ago. It has been our favorite meal each year since. Not sure what it is people don't like. For us, the food has been FANTASTIC, the service has been stellar and the atmosphere wonderful! The only complaint I have had is that we usually have to wait 15 or 20 minutes for a table. I am willing to overlook this minor inconvenience because everything else has been so amazing!
    I'm glad you've had such nice experiences. We've never waited less than 45 minutes (I would welcome 15-20 minutes), it's usually noisy, and we've never been seated near the windows, only far away, even when we've asked. I think they've gotten every order right only once ... at least one of us is missing something or gets the wrong item. Waiters have all been cordial, if not "nice." But usually harried. Ah well ....

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Le Cellier is the opposite story. It's so highly rated not because it's necessarily all that great, but because it is consistent. Some people find it over-rated, like me, but you rarely read about someone having a really bad meal. I would go back.
    Agree with this, totally. Consistency is the key. I was mildly disappointed when I wasn't "swept off my feet" the second time we ate there, but realized on the third time that it was still good and the difference was my choice of entree.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

We've eaten dinner at the Coral Reef three times and had excellent food each time. The service left something to desire on the last occassion....
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

I did not have any problems with the food. the lobster bisque was great and started the meal off well, but the management was horrible. They were taking walk-ins bc of the hurricane type weather and we were soaked through our sneakers. We waited over an hour for our table and when we had already heard them taking walk ins, when confronted about it they denied it. (bad management) we asked several times to be seated and when they looked at our time we were suppose to be seated the bug eyed hostess passed us off to management. It was suppose to be my daughter's birthday dinner. We then proceeded to wait forever for food, got free lobster bisque for our trouble, then waited 35 min for a check and then another 20 or so to have our card brought back to us. We won't ever go back here, even though the food was good. The entire experience was ruined by bad management. I realize it was a weather issue that may have caused this, but a well managed restaurant would not fall apart in this change in circumstance. I feel my ADRS are already pressed bc there are so many great places to eat, I won't risk even one on a place I am conflicted with about food or service.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

We have had a about three bad experiences there and three good ones. However, the three good ones were from our last three visits, so that is a good sign. For the bad experiences it was due to bad food and bad service. We have always loved the tanks, to us that is the best thing about CR. One other thing I could say that has been consistent in a negative way, is how loud it is in there. Every time we have gone, it was very very loud. I also wish they had a better selection to choose from on their menu.

Post Thanks / Like

We really like it there. I can totally see that it is sometimes noisy and sometimes slow. To combat the noisy part, we tend to book a very early lunch so that we are one of the first to arrive. Then we are done and out by the time it starts to get noisy. We also realize it is usually slow so we go in with that knowledge and expect to relax a bit. It is nice that they have the fish tank to look at - it gives us something to do while waiting. The food has been REALLY good for us though! THe catfish is excellent as is the Mahi Mahi and lobster bisque.
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: