Quantcast Magic Kingdom open till 2am?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic Kingdom open till 2am?

One of the days of our stay, we noticed MK open until 2am! I assume that is one of the EMH nights but I have never stayed for an EMH. I am wondering what will still be open that late and what will it be like in terms of crowds? Will it be worth it to stay? Any advise? Would like to do it, I think it will be interesting to be in the parks late when most young children and families will be back "home" at their resorts.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That could be an EMH night, but not necessarily. Given when you're going to be there, I would assume it's probably EMH and not due to huge crowds like this coming week.

As for what's open - the big attractions are all open. Some of the smaller shops and attractions might close.

In general, EMH in the evening tends to be fairly crowded, but not overwhelming as only resort guests can get on the rides.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I love EMH PM at MK. Pretty much all attractions stay open until 2AM. Crowds die down as the night goes on. MK is so nice when its lighten up at night.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

its great! especially walking down main street at 2am when it is practically empty. when I did it there was barley anyone there after 12:00am. no lines for anything, walk up get right on. try PotC in an empty boat by ur self around that time, its erie being alone with all empty boats in front of you
    96 - All-Star Music
    99 - All-Star Music
    04 - Off-site
    05 - All-Star Movies/Music/Off-site (AP)
    06 - All-Star Music/Off-site (AP)
    07 - All-Star Movies
    08 - POP Century
    09 - POP Century/Off-site
    10 - Coronado Springs/CBR/All-Star Sports (AP)
    11 - All-Star Music 1/9! (AP)

Post Thanks / Like

It is so worth staying until it closes, the crowds die down after midnight as all the kids and families go home. You can walk onto most things and ride over and over again, some rides are more creepy like pirates as someone mentioned and haunted mansion with no one around you it is awesome...

Post Thanks / Like

The first couple of hours of a MK evening EMH are almost unbearable IMHO, granted we go during peak times, but I didn't even attempt to get on a ride for the first hour and it took the better part of the second hour to get across the park.

But, the crowds will die down, yes it's late, yes it's only resort guests on the rides, but it's still MK and MK is a mad house! The only time I've ever experienced MK without a ton of folks was our Honeymoon Photo Session at MK before it opened. I stay away from MK if I can help it!

Post Thanks / Like

If the 2.am closing is the pre-published time on the official WDW calendar, then it is NOT likely an EMH night. EMH hours take place after the "official" closing time, whatever that might be; 9, 11 or midnight. 2 am closings usually happen on holiday weekends, or especially busy, crowded times of year.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

May 23rd (sunday) they are open until 2am according to the WDW website. We are trying it this year! Can't wait!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking at the MK calendar for May 23 right now and it says:

"Park Hours
    9:00 AM - 11:00 PM

Extra Magic Hours
    11:00 PM - 2:00 AM"

In other words, the park closes to non-resort guests at 11:00 PM that night and remains open for EMH only for WDW resort guests until 2:00 AM.

That being said, I have attended very late EMH at MK twice in the past 9 months -- once until 3:00 AM, and the other until 2:00 AM -- and it really does stay fairly crowded for the first hour or so. If you are willing to stay into the wee hours of the morning to catch the last hour of EMH, it truly is great because you frequently can stay on rides without getting off at the end. I rode Splash Mountain 3x in a row without getting off starting after 2:30 AM. In fact, the last time around didn't even start until 3:00 AM -- rather than kicking us out, the CMs let us ride one more time. I have done the same thing on BTMRR and Space Mountain.
    "Hi ho, Kermit the Frog here, and welcome to Muppet Vision 3D."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiHoKermitTheFrogHere View Post
    I am looking at the MK calendar for May 23 right now and it says:

"Park Hours
    9:00 AM - 11:00 PM

Extra Magic Hours
    11:00 PM - 2:00 AM"

In other words, the park closes to non-resort guests at 11:00 PM that night and remains open for EMH only for WDW resort guests until 2:00 AM.

That being said, I have attended very late EMH at MK twice in the past 9 months -- once until 3:00 AM, and the other until 2:00 AM -- and it really does stay fairly crowded for the first hour or so. If you are willing to stay into the wee hours of the morning to catch the last hour of EMH, it truly is great because you frequently can stay on rides without getting off at the end. I rode Splash Mountain 3x in a row without getting off starting after 2:30 AM. In fact, the last time around didn't even start until 3:00 AM -- rather than kicking us out, the CMs let us ride one more time. I have done the same thing on BTMRR and Space Mountain.
    Thanks HiHo! My DD deals with all the park planning..so I never even looked at the site. She just has a WDW planner printed up with park hours for us. Gotta love teenagers! They can be helpful!

As far as the crowd level, I sort og guessed first hour will be the same as usual. But was hoping it cleared out after a while. My DD with be in heaven if she gets to stay on her favorite rides multiple times! I think we are gonna do an early afternoon nap to prepare for late hours!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forever a child View Post
    I think we are gonna do an early afternoon nap to prepare for late hours!

That's one of the best pieces of advice, and you gave it to yourself!

If you can stay until the end, it should be pretty enjoyable. Grab a snack or Dole Whip or something for that first hour and people watch. Head to whatever your favorite rides are after that and it should at least be bearable. The last hour should be the easiest as far as riding goes. Have fun!
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

We did the 2 a.m. MK EMH once and had a great time. I was surprised my sister stayed awake but she did. We rode Dumbo for the first time in years since there was hardly a line (Mickey and Minnie were riding it right before us which was a cool surprise). Definitly worth it IMHO.
    ºoº Tiffany ºoº

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forever a child View Post
    As far as the crowd level, I sort og guessed first hour will be the same as usual. But was hoping it cleared out after a while. My DD with be in heaven if she gets to stay on her favorite rides multiple times! I think we are gonna do an early afternoon nap to prepare for late hours!
    It definitely does die down after the first hour or so, we had 2 MK EMHs during our trip last august and we went to both stayed till 1-2am both times. My cousins and I had a great time! Though we got Hungry and found all the counter service places were closed. Fortunately the popcorn stands were still open!

We were able to enjoy just about everything we wanted to more than once during MK EMH. We actually have planned our trip this August around both MK and Epcot's EMHs since we enjoy doing both a great deal!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Upcoming Trip: None planned at the moment.

2012 - Offsite
    2010 - CR
    2009 - CR
    2007 - CR
    2005 - CR
    Disneyland - Many Times 1985 - 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    It definitely does die down after the first hour or so, we had 2 MK EMHs during our trip last august and we went to both stayed till 1-2am both times. My cousins and I had a great time! Though we got Hungry and found all the counter service places were closed. Fortunately the popcorn stands were still open!
    Oh, this is good to know. My DD is always hungry! (swimmer's always are) So I guess we will have to plan on brining or purchasing our snacks before it gets to late! Thanks!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

the food suggestion is a good one I too have found that by two AM you get hungry and non of the small food stands seem to be open so i would grab something that is wrapped to carry with me like a cookie or rice crispy snake or the like ... got to keep fueled up for those late night rides.

Post Thanks / Like

im the daughter & the swimmer (hence the username) and as my mother said i am SOOOOOOO excited about this Disney trip! it will b our first trip in 5 years!!!! this time i will b able to experience it in a whole new way as im not so young anymore. being out that late sounds so fun! what teen doesnt want to be out in disneyworld till 2am?? my poor mother...

wishes will also b at 10 i believe that evening. we will c the show itself earlier in our trip so i was hoping to find an outdoor ride we could b on during the fireworks!!! what is a good ride for viewing? i thought maybe the dumbo ride... actually, i dont think we have ever ridden on dumbo or aladdin before...

also, this is off the subject but... i loved all those 2009 commercials with the "your invited" cards and the balloons that follow you. sadly, it wont b my birthday in may but i still want one of those mickey balloons!!!! does anyone know where to find one? i have heard of some that are inside of a clear round balloon. i would prefer one like the ones in the commercials though if they sell them. actually, i would probably have the urge to pop the outside clear balloon ...i may even make myself a "your invited" envelope to put all my planning papers in!
    '03-All Star Movies
    '04-Port Orleans Riverside
    '05-Port Orleans French Quarter
    Spring '10-Pop Century
    Fall '10-Coronado Springs

Nothing's Impossible.
    Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
    Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just-Keep-Swimming View Post
    wishes will also b at 10 i believe that evening. we will c the show itself earlier in our trip so i was hoping to find an outdoor ride we could b on during the fireworks!!! what is a good ride for viewing? i thought maybe the dumbo ride... actually, i dont think we have ever ridden on dumbo or aladdin before...
    Well, I may be mistaken but I think several of the attractions in Fantasy Land get shut down temporarily (Such as Dumbo) during wishes. As for a ride that offers a unique view of the Fireworks, it would be almost impossible to time but.... Splash Mountain. We lucked out once and came down the big drop on Splash mountain during the Fireworks it was quite an experience. Of course you would only get to enjoy the beauty for a few moments, but definitely a unique experience!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Upcoming Trip: None planned at the moment.

2012 - Offsite
    2010 - CR
    2009 - CR
    2007 - CR
    2005 - CR
    Disneyland - Many Times 1985 - 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just-Keep-Swimming View Post
    im the daughter & the swimmer (hence the username) and as my mother said i am SOOOOOOO excited about this Disney trip! it will b our first trip in 5 years!!!! this time i will b able to experience it in a whole new way as im not so young anymore. being out that late sounds so fun! what teen doesnt want to be out in disneyworld till 2am?? my poor mother...

also, this is off the subject but... i loved all those 2009 commercials with the "your invited" cards and the balloons that follow you. sadly, it wont b my birthday in may but i still want one of those mickey balloons!!!! does anyone know where to find one? i have heard of some that are inside of a clear round balloon. i would prefer one like the ones in the commercials though if they sell them. actually, i would probably have the urge to pop the outside clear balloon ...i may even make myself a "your invited" envelope to put all my planning papers in!
    Yep, this is DD. And yes, she was up past 1am when she posted this...so you see what I am up against! LOL
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago in May there was EMH at MK till 3am. I was there until at least 3:30am, I have a picture of me with the mainstreet clock in the background. I had so much fun, I was riding so many rides without getting off.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at MK in March when the park posted closing time was midnight, but it stayed open until 1 am. During the day the park was close to capacity, but after the 11 pm Spectromagic parade the park emptied out completly. there was no line for spash, big thunder, pirates, Snow White. The Cast members would ask if you wanted to stay on or get off. The only ride with a line was Space Mt. Even at midnight there was a 90 minute wait.
    Enjoy your late night visit there. I wouyd recommend you go and have LOTS OF FUN

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: