Quantcast Eating out alone

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eating out alone

How does everyone feel about eating out alone? I was listening to a WDW podcast and they were talking about people feeling weird going to table service restaurants by themselves.

I've never had that problem... I'll go to any type of restaurant -- whether it be WDW or not -- and not feel self conscious. I actually like spending time alone, especially after a long week of dealing with family and work.

Thoughts?
    Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm usually with others at Disney World, I often dine alone and feel fine about it!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Eating out by myself is one of my favorite things to do. I always have my book to read and I just sit there eating and enjoying my alone time. It is something I treasure.
    Rhonda

Trips to WDW: Priceless

Impossible is not a word.

Post Thanks / Like

The hardest part for me is walking in the door. Once I'm seated I'm fine.

I have to travel to Hawaii on business once and I was seated at a really nice table and really enjoyed just people watching and being alone.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Personally, I hate it.

When I'm alone, I'm much more likely to eat at a counter service fast-food joint or just snack on the run.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem with this at all, especially after making a few solo business trips. Women seem to have more of a problem with this than men. The stigma that if you were eating alone then you were obviously single, still exists to some degree. But I love to eat out alone, especially since becoming a mother. Not that I don't love my son, but I need some alone time and I love to be able to eat a meal in peace. If I see seomeone eating alone, I think that they are either on their way to/from somewhere or on a business trip or are just enjoying a meal alone.

Anyway, if someone is really judging you for eating alone, then they probably are very insecure about eating alone themselves.

But I don't think that I've ever dined alone at WDW, since I'm always with family. But if I did, I would be fine with it, especially since there are many people traveling on business at the multiple WDW convention centers.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Often the company is better when you're solo... I wouldn't give it a second though.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind eating alone and have done it lots of times though never at disney world. As long as I have a book with me I am happy
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I actually really enjoy doing things by myself, I always have. I love my family and spending time with friends, but there are times when I just need some "me" time. When I lived by myself after college, I would escape to the mall, have dinner and go to a movie. I loved having that down time to get away from everything and everybody. A few years ago, I had to travel quite a bit for my job and would be in one location for 2-3 weeks. I found that while many times I would prefer to sit by myself at a table. When I was in the south, I always got really weird responses. There would be times where I would sit at the bar and eat my dinner, so I could chat with the staff. I got to meet some really interesting people. One bartender I met had actually just returned from filming a Judge Judy episode. When I traveled to WA, I was always seated in the bar by the host. I was actually never given an option to sit at a regular table.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really fond of my own company, but I don't eat out alone. I've only done takeout on my own. It's just nicer to be at home all comfortable when I'm on my own. I don't travel to places like WDW solo. (so far, not ruling it out, just prefer to have company there).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

As one who has had to travel in the past for a lot of jobs, this never was an issue. I am happy with a group of just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meldan98 View Post
    There would be times where I would sit at the bar and eat my dinner, so I could chat with the staff.
    This is what I do and have never felt uncomfortable. Watch TV is there is one, chat with the bardender if they're not too busy, the patron next to you, or just read a newspaper or book. I can't remember ever sitting at a table alone.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I don't ever eat alone but that doesn't mean I would have a problem with it. It simply means that I don't get much "alone time". I think that once in a while, it would be enjoyable!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

It hasn't happened very often, but I don't mind eating alone at a restaurant at all.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be really weird about not doing anything by myself. I wouldn't even go to the grocery store to pick up milk on my own. Once I graduated from college though, I got over it. Now I truly enjoy being by myself. I don't at all mind going out to eat and bringing a good book to read at the table.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meldan98 View Post
    I actually really enjoy doing things by myself, I always have. I love my family and spending time with friends, but there are times when I just need some "me" time. When I lived by myself after college, I would escape to the mall, have dinner and go to a movie. I loved having that down time to get away from everything and everybody.
    This sounds like me to a T. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family, but I require a lot of personal time. I frequently go to the movies or out to dinner alone, and I love it. This isn't to say that I don't also enjoy doing these activities with friends and family, but sometimes my favorite company is myself.
    --- Brittany

Disneyland annual pass since 1994, but I've never been to Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Watch TV is there is one, chat with the bardender
    Sorry, I just recently started to need reading glasses and I'm just not in the habit of using them all the time yet.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I think people who don't like eating alone are just more social than those who don't have a problem with it. Or, more co-dependent, I guess.

I have NO issue with it, but I'm one of the few people I know (including my DH) that feels that way.

I've even taken a solo trip to WDW and ate alone for FOUR DAYS. Gasp!!! I actually love to eat in peace. What I don't "get" is talking and socializing while eating. I don't like having distractions while I eat. I'll socialize over drinks, but when I'm eating, I want to be eating!

As a mom of special needs kids, I NEVER actually get to enjoy any of the meals I eat at home (always eating standing up at the counter or getting up several times during the meal to get things for the kids). When we go out as a family, I'm more focused on keeping the kids entertained and well behaved, and I end up inhaling my food in about 5 min before we leave.

I take EVERY chance I can get to go out to eat alone!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Personally, I hate it.

When I'm alone, I'm much more likely to eat at a counter service fast-food joint or just snack on the run.

I don't know why, but I'm not very comfortable eating out by myself.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a social butterfly but after my divorce I prefer my own company. The first trip I took after was to Disney and I thought wow sitting by myself weird but I found I had a wonderful time (and I chatted up the waiter!). Since I have gone out by myself a lot. I think it has its advantages I can be as leisurly as I want, I don't bring a book though I like that idea...I usually use the time after ordering before the food arrives to review photos or check my messages (its not rude if you don't have company imho). Enjoy it, alone time is golden time!
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: