Quantcast dSLR photography for beginners?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default dSLR photography for beginners?

hi all!

i've been doing alot of online research and think i'm ready to get into dSLR photography. DH and i went to a few best buys to look at the different cameras. of COURSE none of them had power so i couldn't really play with them.

i'm *this close* to getting a cannon XSi along with the kit lens.

i really know little to nothing about these cameras or how to think about aperture, ISO, etc in order to get a great picture. but i'm ALL ready and excited to learn!

are any of you currently using dSLR cameras and can offer some tips? or, know of any good books i can check out? websites? sites to your own work?

now that i have a gorgeous son (don't we all say that??) AND DH and i are buying DVC (waiting pass ROFR by disney) i want to have better pictures of my favorite "subjects".

anyway, ANY help or direction would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
    nancy
    1/07 - POP : 1/08 - POR : 9/08 - POFQ :3/09 - POFQ : 1/10 - POFQ : 9/10 - BWV First Trip Home! : 12/10 - SSR : 1/11 - THV!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a site called photobert[dot]com and there's a simple online course for free. He takes some AMAZING pictures. I'm sure there are others however...

Post Thanks / Like

I could talk your ear off about this stuff.

A couple of sites to check out would be:

http://digital-photography-school.com/

http://www.shortcourses.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

The DPS site has a great daily newletter with all kinds of cool stuff in it. The Short Courses site has exactly what it's name implies....tutorials about photography.

DPReview is more about looking at equipment and making informed decisions, and it also has a very active message board where you could post questions about any number of photography topics.

I would recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson as well, It's not too long, and does a pretty good job explaining aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, and how they all work together. I actually taught a short class on this not too long ago, and I have a one page cheat sheet if you'd like it. Just send me a private message with your email, and I'll send it on.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

The Canon xi is a great camera. I almost bought it recently as well. However, I ended up going with the Pentax K-x because it's actually just as good, it's less expensive, and it comes with both the 18-55mm & 55-300mm lenses.

I like those sites others have mentioned, but I know of a few others if you're interested and want to PM me.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Canon EOS and what I have found works for me is to take lots of pictures. The more pictures you take the more you will know your camera and how it works. Also I just randomly pick up my camera and take pictures with different settings just to see how it looks. If the picture isn't good just delete it.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

One tip, visit your local camera store. You'll get to talk to people who actually know about photography and you can play with the cameras (with power).

We bought from a local store even though they were slightly more expensive and it paid off in the long run. They work on the cameras purchased through them for free. Buy your camera elsewhere and need some work done, they charge $100 per hour!
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, camera stores are great. If you're in New York, I can't stress this enough, GO TO B&H PHOTO AND VIDEO. They are THE camera store. They have everything, and they know about it all, too.

I am a Pentax shooter. I have the K20D. I chose that over the Nikon and Canon for two reasons:

1. It's completely weather sealed. Water and dust can't get in and mess with the components. You don't get that with other entry-level cameras.

2. Shake Reduction is built into the camera, not the lenses. With Canon and Nikon, you can spend extra to get shake reduction (vibration reduction) in the lenses. With the Pentax, it doesn't matter WHAT lens you get....just flip a switch on the camera body, and the shake reduction is enabled.

But that's me. Canon and Nikon are great cameras, and their owners swear by them. The only thing about Pentax is that since it's not as popular as those other two, it's harder to find lenses and accessories for them in regular stores. But since we can shop on the internet...who cares?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: