Quantcast Driving with navigation

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving with navigation

We are driving down and staying offsite for the first time at the end of April. I was wondering if anyone has used Sprint Navigation to get around WDW. I'm a little worried about driving around, especially since from what I've heard the signs don't help at all.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure who said the signage in WDW isn't good. It may not be the quickest route from here to there, but they have signs for EVERYTHING, and there is ample notice of upcoming turns, etc. Disney does direct people along certain routes to help control traffic, which is why I say it may not be the quickest most direct route. But, you'll get there...

I've never had to rely on any navigation trying to get around property.

I do have Navigon MobileNavigator on my iPhone, works good enough if I'm not sure how to get around, but I don't think I'd need it at WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use any navigation other than a map, but I have always found the signs helpful. Study this map a little and you'll be fine.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I think the signage at Disney World is quite good and definitely gets you from one spot to the other!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing to watch for is that the signs say "straight ahead" a lot, and it doesn't mean "it's coming right up", it means "keep going straight for a long time yet". I had a friend who got VERY confused by those signs and called me up crying. It also helps to know what area your resort is in - for instance, that Pop is in the wide world of sports area (although I think it might be called ESPN now?). Also, make sure to get the transportation map at the check in desk. It makes everything completely clear.

I did try and use my GPS on the roads in Disney. It couldn't locate a lot of them. I don't know if it was just my system or the fact that I was on Disney property, but I was totally lost!

Post Thanks / Like

The signage is very good. We haven't ever really had to use our GPS. Only trouble spot we've seen is on Epcot Center Dr heading to MK. You have to stay to the extreme left and then go right when it becomes one lane. It's the only tricky spot.

We have used our GPSs (Garmins) and they have worked quite well. They have found some faster ways around. But the signage does really work.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I've noticed is that you have to know what "resort area" you are looking for. For example, I won't see Saratoga Springs signs on the main drag... I need to know that Saratoga Springs is in the Downtown Disney area.... so I follow the downtown Disney signs and once I get there, I follow the signs to Saratoga Springs. You may have to go through a park "gate" to get to where you are going. For example, to drive to the Poly, you need to go through the Magic Kingdom gate (where you have to pay for parking and such if you are going to the park). I think this is the only place that you have to do this.... it got us yelling at each other the first time we drove on property! 6 adults yelling at each other because "WE DON'T WANT TO GO TO MAGIC KINGDOM, WE JUST WANT TO EAT AT OHANA'S! YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY... HOW DO WE TURN AROUND!!" Fun times... heehee

You can imagine how long the signs would be if they listed every building that you are looking for on every sign.

In all honesty, it takes us about 1 day to "remember" where we are going and what lane to be in. We drive down too and once you understand that you are looking for a "resort area" on the main Disney highways and then the resort name once you get into the "resort area" you will be just fine.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

I think the signage at Disney stinks! I have driven on property a grand total of 6 times (one way) and have gotten lost for 4 of those trips. Like Jennifer_and_Chris said, you have to know way too much about the general location of where you are going in order to follow the signs, and while many on Intercot have no problem with this kind of Disney trivia, the average person has no idea which "area" of the property they are driving to.

Unfortunately, there are not many other options except try to use a GPS or just get lost like me.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to truly get lost in WDW, there just aren't that many roadways.

Running North South there is World Dr (which loops at the top around MK and then become Floridian Way back to itself), Bonnet Creek drive, Epcot Center Dr, and Buena Vista when it goes north at DTD.

Running East West are Oceola Parkway, Buena Vista/Western Way ( sort if run into each other), and Vista Blvd.

There are a couple of minor roads Seven Seas and Victory Way but they are basically off the others and short.

That's really it, 4 NS major roads, and 3 EW, and 2 minor. Not much to learn and the signage really does take you around. Just take note of the road your resort is on (it will be one of those) and you can't get lost. Really!!
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input! No ONE person said the signage was bad, I just hear it mentioned throughout the discussions occasionally. I think we will probably be fine, we are staying offsite this time so we won't need to find any resorts just the major parks. I will keep in mind the tips that you all provided!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are "directionally impaired", like my DW, signs don't really help that much (when traveling out of town, she gets back on the Interstate Highway going the wrong direction after a potty break on gas stop), but for most people, the signs at WDW are more than adequate to get you around.

Our TomTom GPS didn't help much over what we already knew (and it didn't recognize any of the roads in FW for instance), but you can use Google maps or BIng to get a really good idea of where everything at WDW is, and how its all laid out before your trip. Just familiarize yourself from those maps and you'll be fine.

If you get off track, the signs WILL lead you back to where you want to go, if you pay attention and don't miss your turns while gawking at ToT or the Swan & Dolphin (we've been there and done that)!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We used GPS in WDW and found it very helpful. I am directionally challenged and wouldn't have attempted finding my way without. We didn't have problems with GPS locating any of the parks or resorts we were visiting.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get lost, remember that you can always pull into a theme park or resort and ask the toll booth host or security host for directions.

(Theme park toll booths are usually left unattended a few hours before the park closes.)
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: