Quantcast Sierra shows her GPs the World, Arrival

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sierra shows her GPs the World, Arrival

Pre-report note: I had intended to get this posted by at least a month after we got back. BUT, I didn't allow for how time consuming it is to help DH recuperate from his new knee that he received on 5 February. (We were so clueless about this whole procedure!) Because his old knee was so cranky, he stayed home while we went to Disney - odd trip! But we had a great time showing newbies around, something we hadn't done in several trips. Hope you enjoy.

Sierra shows her grandparents the World & VWL 22 - 29 January

Travel to and arrival at the World – 21& 22 January

Cast of characters

>From Missouri
    Sierra - five year old Disney Fan, her 3rd trip
    Sam - Sierra's mom
    Grammy K - Sierra's maternal grandmother
    Me – Sierra's great aunt (Grammy K's sister)

>From Louisiana and first time visitors
    Granny M - Sierra's paternal grandmother
    Papa R – Sierra's paternal grandfather

The Plan – We leave mid-Missouri at 5 am on Thursday 21 January, driving down and overnighting near Auburn, Alabama, arriving at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge early afternoon on Friday 22 January. Granny M and Papa R fly to Orlando on 22 January, arriving at VWL on Disney's Magical Express.

What really happened - We had hoped to arrive at the Wilderness Lodge ahead of GM and PR but they got there about 15 minutes before we did. Magical Express was on the ball as their plane had landed about 1 pm and by 2:15 they were exploring the Lodge, waiting on us.

We had warm weather for the drive down, altho both Thursday and Friday mornings were quite foggy, slowing down our progress. We didn't even get lost driving to the Wilderness Lodge. Probably because Sam was driving. We had movies, Leapster games, and Disney plush friends to keep Sierra busy during the 1100 miles. GK and Sam had a large book on tape and I had books and Sierra to keep me occupied.

We had a minor snafu at check-in as some of the names were not on the registration. Sam was listed as unknown, Sierra got Grammy K's last name and my first name was misspelled. We had a brief wait while the computer digested the new information before we were issued our room keys. We went to Guest Services and had our park hopper tickets added to our room keys, which meant, of course, that we were issued new room keys. GM and PR also got 1st Time buttons, which they wore every day.

We did get our only room request, which was for a dedicated two bedroom. We had not stayed at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge before so we were surprised at the length of the hallway at the end of which was our villa. It was almost all the way down. We had some laughs about that during the week. We might have been exhausted if we'd had to go all the way down.

GM's and PR's luggage arrived when ours arrived. But no Garden Grocer delivery. There had been a glitch when I did the on-line check out, a couple of weeks prior, but when I called GG, I was assured that my order had gone through. I did not receive the e-mail confirmation, and had forgotten, since our last trip to WDW, that I should have gotten one. When I called upon arrival, GG had no order for us. The earliest they could get an order to us was Sunday afternoon. I modified the order some, and had them deliver as soon as possible.

Once everyone had unpacked Sierra handed out the goodie bags. Grammy K had appliqued Disney characters on shirts for everyone. We had glow sticks and glow necklaces as well as trading pins for everyone, which went into the bags. Each bag also had the next day's schedule.

We had 5:45 supper reservations at 1900 Park Fare. About 4:30 we moseyed along to the boat dock for the trip to Magic Kingdom. There we transferred to the launch to the Grand Floridian. We arrived with plenty of time to enjoy the live music in the lobby. While waiting, a CM approached and handed all of us, except PR, roses. We had just arrived and already had a special moment.

Our experience at 1900 Park Fare was as good as it usually is. We had Prince Charming first, who did not impress Sierra. She said, “He's just a guy in a suit.” She was impressed by Cinderella, especially when Cinderella noticed that they both had blue dresses on. Sierra was wearing a blue sundress that GM had given her. We'd been hoping the weather would be nice enough that she could wear it when she went to see Cinderella.

Sierra also had a great time with Lady Tremaine who had Sierra stand on her chair. She asked Sierra her name, and then proceeded to give her directions: “Sierra, how old are you? Sierra, look like this” while she made a face. Sierra also danced with Drusilla and gave Anastasia a hug. GM was quite entertained by the characters, especially Lady Tremaine.

There is such a choice of food here. We all found something we liked. The little desserts are a great idea. As I was looking over the selection, a fellow who looked as tho he'd be more at home bull riding was placing several of the little mousse cups on a dish, saying sheepishly, “They keep sending me back for these, they're so good.”

At the end of the day - We were at Disney, always a good feeling. Everyone had arrived safe and sound, even the luggage. The weather was mild, which was nice, with the reports of the cold a couple of weeks ago. Our Garden Grocer order hadn't arrived but, thanks to a Walmart run after supper, we had something for breakfast.

Thanks for reading!

Jan

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Jan, it seems really strange to see a trip report from you that is not based in Fort Wilderness!

I also have to confess that, when I saw the title of your report, I thought first of global positioning, and only figured out you meant grandparents, after I started reading!

Glad everyone has arrived and has gotten settled in! Your first dinner sounds great! Lady Tremaione and the stepsisters are such fun!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    I also have to confess that, when I saw the title of your report, I thought first of global positioning, and only figured out you meant grandparents, after I started reading!
    Me Too! I'm glad it was Grandparents though,I'm sure they were more fun than a Tom Tom!!!

Off to a great start!
    Hºoº lly

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

WDW repeat guest since 1989!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh! That first day at Disney..what a feeling! Sounds like a wonderful arrival, in spite of the Grocery glitch.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great first day! We are also staying the night near Auburn on our drive down in April.

Can't wait to read the rest!

Post Thanks / Like

Obsessive Planner: just fyi, we have stayed 3 times now at the Comfort Inn at exit 62 (I think it is) on Interstate 85. This is handy to us as we travel on highway 280.

There is a Cracker Barrel in back of the Comfort Inn. We walk to the Cracker Barrel and browse the shop which gives us some activity after being in the vehicle for so long.

The Comfort Inn is clean and quiet and feels secure (inside hallways) but it's a basic motel room. We have not had a bad experience, yet.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad the drive was a safe one - that's a lot of miles to travel, especially when visibility becomes spotty. Great timing on the part of Sierra's GPs, though! How exciting for them to be able to see the pure joy of a 5-year old at Disney!

Although we've never been to Park Faire, it sounds like a great first-dinner place. Love Sierra's reaction to Prince Charming.

With the exception of the snafu at check in and the Garden Grocer issue, your arrival day has been great. Looking forward to the next installment!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: