Quantcast pool hopping question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default pool hopping question

hi all!

this is my first post over here on the dvc section

dh and i put a deposit down for BLT 160 points and will be on a conference call with our guide today to ask a few more questions. we are also considering scrapping the BLT through disney and going resale as it just seems so much cheaper.

as far as pool hopping privileges, well, i don't get it. it seems like you can pool hop at any resort except for the dvc resorts of which you don't belong. is that correct? so, if i belong to BLT, i can't swim at stormalong bay?

any idea the reasoning behind this?

also, anyone have any advice on the decision between new BLT or resale someplace else (either OKW or BCV)

thanks!
    1/07 - POP : 1/08 - POR : 9/08 - POFQ :3/09 - POFQ : 1/10 - POFQ : 9/10 - BWV First Trip Home! : 12/10 - SSR : 1/11 - THV!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You are only allowed to swim in the pools at your resort. I would assume BLT includes the Contemporary. However, YC/BC are out.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

DVC members are allowed to pool hop to ANY pools on property except Stormalong Bay at Y & BC and Uzima (sp?) Pool at AK. If you are staying at either of those places for that stay then of course you can use thier pools. Otherwise it doesn't matter which DVC resort you are staying at, you can go to the Poly pool, the Coronado Springs Pool, OKW pool etc.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    You are only allowed to swim in the pools at your resort. I would assume BLT includes the Contemporary. However, YC/BC are out.
    This is true about resort guests. DVC members are allowed to pool hop. It's a membership perk.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks!

thanks dvc2004...any idea why they exclude the beach club pools?
    1/07 - POP : 1/08 - POR : 9/08 - POFQ :3/09 - POFQ : 1/10 - POFQ : 9/10 - BWV First Trip Home! : 12/10 - SSR : 1/11 - THV!!

Post Thanks / Like

The pool at the Beach Club is a mini-water park and would just be too swamped if they let people pool-hop to it.

It is a perk to staying at those resorts.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

ah, right. that makes total sense. but if you own bcv you can swim there, right?

i've never stayed at the beach club so i'm not totally familiar with it.

thanks for the info!

we are pulling the trigger soon either way - resale or new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
    ah, right. that makes total sense. but if you own bcv you can swim there, right?

i've never stayed at the beach club so i'm not totally familiar with it.

thanks for the info!

we are pulling the trigger soon either way - resale or new.
    You swim at Stormalong even if you don't own there- you just have to be staying there to use that pool complex.

Post Thanks / Like

Storm-Along Bay at BC/YC is extremely popular. With all the guests staying at the Beach Club and Yacht Club, and now the BC Villas, there just isn't enough room for non-resort guests there.

As mentioned, DVC members do get the perk of pool-hopping to all pools except BC/YC and AKL (unless you are staying there). Just to clarify, too - it doesn't matter where you own DVC points. Pool-hopping is based on where you are staying during a particular DVC trip. If you are a DVC member but decide to stay at the Polynesian (without points), you won't have pool-hopping privileges during that trip.

There are also some blackout dates - they don't allow pool hopping during really busy times. Again, that's to take care of the guests actually staying at that resort.

Good luck with your DVC decision!

Post Thanks / Like

pool hopping is going to be fun! so if i understand correctly, if we STAY at SSR, we can pool hop anywhere except for BC and AKL. but if we STAY at BC we can pool hop anywhere except AKL. that being said, if we OWN at BC but are STAYING at SSR then we cannot swim at BC...right?

it looks like we are going to go the resale route! we put in an offer for SSR - cheaper and more points! the seller is going to let us know tomorrow! hurrah!

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

............. if we OWN at BC but are STAYING at SSR then we cannot swim at BC...right?
    Right.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

For the sake of accuracy, I went out to the DVC members site and found that we are not exactly 100% correct here. Here is the official policy. We missed the fact that the new BLT pool is not available for pool hopping either (unless you are staying there as a DVC member). I also was not aware that Vero Beach guests are included for pool hopping - that's interesting. As per the members site (I hope this makes it completely clear!):

Pool Hopping Information

Whenever you are staying on your Membership at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas, Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, Disney's Vero Beach Resort, or The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, you and any Guests staying with you, are permitted to use most of the other Disney Vacation Club and Walt Disney World® Resort hotel pools (in addition to the pool at the resort hotel at which you are staying) if they are not at capacity. If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that resort hotel. Please check with a Host or Hostess at the Front Desk of the resort hotel you wish to visit before you go to find out about pool-access availability. You must present your current "Key to the World" card with your "DVC Member" designation on it to use the other resort hotel pools.

Pool hopping is not available at Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts, and the leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas. There are no exceptions to this policy. As a reminder, during times of high occupancy, please be mindful of the limited number of pool chairs available, and refrain from leaving towels or personal items on unoccupied pool chairs.

Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time due to capacity limitations. Due to the high occupancy that is expected, Disney Vacation Club Members and any Guests staying with them may not pool hop during the following dates*:

February 14-20, 2010 (Sun – Sat)
    March 27 – April 10, 2010 (Sun – Sat)
    May 28 – 31, 2010 (Fri – Mon)
    June 27 – July 5 (Sun – Mon)
    Sept 3 – 6, 2010 (Fri – Mon)
    Nov 22 – 28, 2010 (Mon – Sun)
    Dec 12, 2010 – Jan 2, 2011 (Sun – Mon)

*Other restricted dates may be added based on projected pool capacity

Post Thanks / Like

interesting stuff here. i've never noticed people checking members to make sure they are staying at the resort. i'm looking forward to flashing my DVC membership card!

Post Thanks / Like

Sortdf off topic, but since you mention it.

Make sure you are sure about SSR. SSR is a big resort, and probably the least popular DVC resort. Because of this, many owners staying there seem to try and trade out. You can trade out at 7 months, and will be fighting for rooms along with a large amount of people. Not that it's impossible, but getting into the other resorts my be hard, especially at the smaller ones like WL.

I suggest buying where you want to stay the majority of the time as that might be where you end up.

There's a reason there are so many resale SSR contracts and why they are so cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Sortdf off topic, but since you mention it.

Make sure you are sure about SSR. SSR is a big resort, and probably the least popular DVC resort. Because of this, many owners staying there seem to try and trade out. You can trade out at 7 months, and will be fighting for rooms along with a large amount of people. Not that it's impossible, but getting into the other resorts my be hard, especially at the smaller ones like WL.

I suggest buying where you want to stay the majority of the time as that might be where you end up.

There's a reason there are so many resale SSR contracts and why they are so cheap.
    thanks for the note. we will be happy with any of the resorts, including SSR. no matter where we stay, we'll be in deluxe accommodations which is an upgrade from where we're used to!

i do appreciate the note though and we've measured the pros and cons of buying at a newer place vs. SSR. i'm looking forward to calling SSR our home. i really love the grounds there and LOVE the boat to/from DTD

Post Thanks / Like

Is it considered pool hopping if you're staying at VWL and want to swim at WL? Don't they each have their own pools?
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdhiggin View Post
    Is it considered pool hopping if you're staying at VWL and want to swim at WL? Don't they each have their own pools?
    Nope, VWL and WL share all facilities.the pools don't belong to one resort or another. Anyone staying at WL or VWL can use the main pool or the quiet pool.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the note. we will be happy with any of the resorts, including SSR. no matter where we stay, we'll be in deluxe accommodations which is an upgrade from where we're used to!

i do appreciate the note though and we've measured the pros and cons of buying at a newer place vs. SSR. i'm looking forward to calling SSR our home. i really love the grounds there and LOVE the boat to/from DTD
    We own at SSR. The greatest part of owning there is that it is a quiet refuse from all the hustle and bustle of the more popular resorts. If you want to feel like you're on a "normal" vacation, SSR is a great choice. Also, the BEST STAY WE'VE EVER HAD has been in the Treehouse Villas which is part of SSR. I don't see too many posts about them but, they truly are excellent. With a big family like we have (always about 8 people a trip) the Treehouses are perfect.

Maybe I'm looking at SSR through Rose Colored glasses but, seems to be less screaming/crying kids at SSR. Of course the couple of kids that are crying/screaming are mine!

With that said, we have traded into VWL very easily and are hoping to get into BLT for our October trip. If not, then we'll try for AKL. This desire to stay at other resorts is not because of SSR, but, because staying at all the resorts at least once is on our "list" of things we'd like to do.

Good luck!
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

thanks jennifer!

the seller actually accepted our bid so we're on our way! i'm looking forward to SSR. we always like looking at it from the boat (from POFQ to DTD). it's gorgeous! and, you're right, it's like a real "resort" type of place

Post Thanks / Like

thanks jennifer!

the seller actually accepted our bid so we're on our way! i'm looking forward to SSR. we always like looking at it from the boat (from POFQ to DTD). it's gorgeous! and, you're right, it's like a real "resort" type of place
    congratulations! You will love it...

One thing I forgot to mention is that, everytime we have been there, the main pool has never been packed. and the other pools are almost vacant.

Have a great time.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: