Quantcast Air Tran Airways

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Air Tran Airways

Looking to go to WDW in June, and found an awesome price on Air Tran. I have never flown them and don't know much about them. Does anyone have feedback on this airline?

Thanks
    Sharon
    * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * *~ ~ * * ~

Get me there soon or I might just go nuts!

1981 - Polynesian

2002- Wilderness Lodge

2005 - Port Orleans Riverside

2010 - POP Century

2017 in the works

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was considering Air Tran for our next trip and all the feedback I've heard is that they are terrible. Problems I've heard center around customer service issues, and lack thereof.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Post No Problem

We use Air Tran (non-stop)flights from Pittsburgh all the time (2 to 3 trips a year). We have had no problems at all. Our flight times have changed a couple of times but we have always had significant notice (e-mails). There is a luggage charge and a small charge if you select your seats. You can print your boarding passes 24 hours before your departure. Flights have always been on time and staff have always been pleasant. Hope you have a good experience whomever you go with.
    Have great vaca.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

We fly them alot nonstop from Milwaukee to Orlando. They are good. They are charging for bags now though. Still not as much as other airlines. They are no frills but are usually on time and have multiple flights for more flexibility. Never had an issue with them. You can pick your seats ahead of time for a fee- but we just wait until 24 hours before and then it's free with online check in.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We have flown them twice now. The first time our flight was cancelled but they helped up find another non-stop. This flight was delayed due to weather but when it was clear to leave they quickly loaded us and got into the air. The second flight was just as easy. They were very helpful both times and I have no complaints. I would fly them again if the price is right.

Post Thanks / Like

We have flown with them a few times out of Buffalo and have not had any problems with them at all. I would not hesitate to use them again. Their prices seem to be comparable to other low cost carriers.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Air Tran:

1) Was a small independent cheapie airline with good service & safety.
    2) Started to grow from serving smaller markets.
    3) ValuJet Airlines had a crash in the Everglades.
    4) To get around negative publicity, they bought Air Tran.
    5) Since, Air Tran has expanded significantly.
    6) They continue to get great reviews for service and safety.

NOTE: We have flown Air Tran several times, and have no complaints. For an airline today, that is a rave review. ThHere is only one caveat. If you fly through Atlanta and must transfer planes, make sure you have at least 75 miuntes between flights - the airport is huge and prone to flight arrival delays.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

We fly Air Tran out of Flint, MI. No problems! They have changed flight schedules a few times, but have been very helpful in getting a new flight that we liked. We fly down about twice a year, always Air Tran

Post Thanks / Like

3 trips to WDW this year via AirTran with no problems!
    Contemporary - 1/09
    Pop - 4/09
    POFQ - 8/09
    Bay Lake Towers - 1/10
    POP - 2/10
    POFQ - 4/10
    POFQ - 11/10
    ASM - 3/11
    BCV - 8/11
    AKV - 1/12
    SSR - 8/12
    SSR - 12/12

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have flown Air Tran more than any other airline (out of Minneapolis). I've never had any sort of problem with them. My only gripe would be that they now charge to send baggage down, but just about everyone does that (Southwest, would you please open flights up to Minneapolis?). I'll be flying them again in January and have no problem recommending them.

Post Thanks / Like

We use them out of Indy all the time and have never had a single problem. does anybody know how much they charge for a bag these days?

Post Thanks / Like

We fly airtran all the time from Chicago to Orlando...Have always been happy with their services. If you book your trip far in advance expect your departure time to change...but they do notify you.

as of Nov. 15th they were charging $15 per checked luggage.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

We used to fly AirTran out of Bloomington, IL direct to Orlando when we lived in Illinois, and loved them. Never had a problem. Actually, they had XM Satellite Radio built into the seats, so I could plug in and listen to ESPN Radio, and the kids could listen to what they wanted to, including Radio Disney.

Now, though, we don't live close to an airport that's worth anything, so we drive.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

We flew AirTran our last trip and everything was great so we decided to use them again for our trip in January. BUT, they changed our flight time after we booked making our flight over 4 hours later which ruined our first day at the parks. Then our only other option was a connecting flight through Atlanta. Now we have to leave home at 4am with 2 young kids to get to the airport for our first flight. I was not happy with the change.
    AND we never received any notice the flight time was changed, I noticed it on my own while on their website.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

Air Tran consistantly has the lowest fares from Memphis TN to Orlando. I have used them several times. The only problem i've had was last year.
    I booked a non-stop flight which was cancelled. The flight times on the substitute flight were awful.....a 4 hour layover in Atlanta. So i called Disney Travel, and switched flights. The second flight was cancelled, and the substitute flight put us into Orlando well into the evening. So i waited until a couple of weeks before our trip and changed the flights once again. Lukily, there were no more cancellations. We had a good flight and a wonderful trip. But Uug! Getting the flight times you want shouldn't be that difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! We decided to give Airtran a go. Can't beat the price, let's hope all goes well. It sounds like they do a decent job.
    Sharon
    * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * * ~ ~ * *~ ~ * * ~

Get me there soon or I might just go nuts!

1981 - Polynesian

2002- Wilderness Lodge

2005 - Port Orleans Riverside

2010 - POP Century

2017 in the works

Post Thanks / Like

AirTran is one of our company's preferred air carriers. We have found them to be reputable, fair in their dealings with our many student groups and safety conscious. I would not hesitate to recommend them to you. Moreover, their business plan is solid which is a better assurance of them being there when it is time to fly.
    CBR- June 28 - July 6, 1999, August 22 - 31, 2000, August 21 - 30, 2001, August 20 - 27, 2002, August 17 - 25, 2004, August 17 - 23, 2005, August 21 - 29, 2007
    ASSp- June 2 - 5, 2008
    CBR - August 18 - 22, 2008
    CBR - October 16 - 20, 2008
    Pop - February 17 - 20, 2010
    ASMu - April 16 - 21, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

To be honest, when flying, we always have AirTran second on our list (and I say that as a pretty good thing). Since we have access to Southwest for many of our flights, they are usually our #1 choice. That being said, if Southwest doesn't work out for some reason, we don't hesitate to use Airtran. Paying for checked luggage, the occasional late change of a flight times, and slightly smaller seating are the main reasons they come second behind SW for us. But we cannot complain about the service, the price, or the results we've had with AirTran. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone looking to fly with them. Have a great trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Default ATLANTA and DME

If you fly Airtran chances are you will have to transfer in Atlanta and that could mean

1. Not enough time - if they schedule you a crazy short transfer time AND your flight to Atlanta is at all delayed you can have problems

or

2. Too much time. Check their proposed schedule - you do NOT want to have a 4 hour layover in Atlanta

BUT

Airtran works 100% as far as DME goes - including checked through bags and resort airline checkin when you return.

Post Thanks / Like

We fly Air Tran regularly - Milwaukee to Orlando and we have never had any problems! They have much nicer seats than many of the airlines these days and they have satellite radio! Bonus! I think you'll love them - enjoy your trip!
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: