Quantcast Space Mountain Soft Opening Reactions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Space Mountain Soft Opening Reactions

(To the mods: I'm sorry for the double post, but I figured this one would be easier to see than digging through a 3 page thread in News, Rumors, and Imagineering)

Ok so, I got to ride Space Mountain as part of a soft opening yesterday and here is my reaction.

Everything I figured would be the case IS the case. The queue is almost identical to the way it was before, minus the interactive section towards the very end. The loading area is the only thing that is drastically different, as you can no longer see the track above you (which is, in my mind, part of the reason that it wasn't as dark as it could have been in the initial version).

The ride itself is pretty much unchanged. There are different sound effects in the blue tunnel. The mountain itself is darker, and there seems to be more stars. The re-entry tunnel is still the same effect they've used since 1975. The exit area is identical. The escalator portion has some new scenery/touched up scenery. The green screen tunnel on the exit escalator has been painted a hideous shade of neon lime green and the former TVs have been shoddily covered up with a banner.

California is still leaps and bounds ahead of this one and TDO really dropped the ball here. I know we're in a bad economy, but this ride is the way it is now because Disney was worried about all the whiners and complainers they would have had to deal with going "Oh my vacation is totally ruined because SPACE MOUNTAIN WASN'T OPEN and I'll never ever ever have the chance to get on it again."

To which I respond with, "Big deal. California closed theirs for almost 2 years and the world didn't come to an end. Deal with it."

Disney needs to stop worrying about what their guests think in the short term and instead think about the long term profits that could result from giving Space Mountain the upgrade that it TRULY deserves despite a much lengthier closure. They need to start focusing on quality again. Giving into the complainers and rushing a refurb to have it open for Christmas, especially after seeing what the end result was (which is to say, it's pretty much the exact same ride) has proven to me that TDO has really lost its way in terms of delivering a unique and memorable experience so many years after an attraction has opened.

One last thing...before anybody responds with "it's not officially finished yet"...note that it's supposed to reopen next Saturday. There's no way you could get me to believe they're going to throw in some drastically huge upgrade in less than a week.

Edit: Forgot to note that the on-ride photo is in one of the most nonsensical places possible: at the turn in the "launch" tunnel that takes you onto the lift. In my picture I looked like a deer in headlights because it wasn't even a remotely exciting part of the ride yet.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed you did 3 college programs!! I am impressed! I only did 1 and miss it greatly!!!
    I can't believe that they really didn't do much with this upgrade. I was hoping they would change the cars on this ride to provide a little more comfortable seating but I guess that was way too much to hope for!!!
    ugh....not looking forward to the upgrades...
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    The ride itself is pretty much unchanged..
    Regarding the hoopla about the rehab:
    1) To quote Macbeth, “It is a tale … full of sound and fury; signifying nothing.”
    2) There were few real, true and substantive changes.
    3) This was more of a maintenance rehab than an major change/improvement.
    4) We wish it was more of a change to what DLR has.
    5) Still a darn good ride, but pretty much the same way it was.

Per Disney: "We're retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain . . ." (And they did)
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Did they at least smooth out some of the worst rough spots?
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad. The SPM at Disneyland is awesome. It's smooth and the soundtrack and sound system is great. I was hoping for a smooth ride. Next time.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    Did they at least smooth out some of the worst rough spots?
    Some of the roughness is intended, that's why the turns are often quite sharp. It's supposed to feel out of control. However, it did seem a little less rough during some of the straightaways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    5) Still a darn good ride, but pretty much the same way it was.

Per Disney: "We're retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain . . ." (And they did)
    Don't get me wrong. It's not that I didn't enjoy the ride. It's still fun, but merely touching up things that have been in place since 1975 doesn't exactly keep it "fresh" either. It works in areas like Frontierland or Adventureland because those areas are kind of kitsch and the elements of the theme don't work against it.

Let's face it, a lot of the things you see on Space Mountain (in Florida at least) are things you could easily see in any '70s era sci-fi movie. I just don't see how it would be impossible for them to retain many of these so-called "classic" elements, without implementing some of things from DLR that have made their version so successful.

Keep the unique dual track layout. Keep the unique trains. But give me the upgraded lift effects,the on-board audio and the hyperspeed tunnel at the end, and put the on-ride photo THERE instead.

There's nothing saying it has to be one or the other, it can have the best of both, but it seems Disney doesn't even want to budge on something of that nature.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just excited to be able to ride it in a few days...! I guess I'm one of those "as long as it's open when I go" people who are so annoying.

I do appreciate a good upgrade however. But I can still feel upset if a beloved ride isn't operational during my visit.

It's all good!
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting. It did seem like a long time for the ride to be down. I still can't wait to ride it though!

Post Thanks / Like

. . . . Disney needs to stop worrying about what their guests think in the short term and instead think about the long term profits that could result from giving Space Mountain the upgrade that it TRULY deserves despite a much lengthier closure.
    The problem with this line of reasoning is that Disney guests don't have to pay any more to ride a new and exciting Space Mountain than they do to ride a run-down one. As long as it isn't falling apart or breaking down, it will pretty much be at capacity all the time it is open. It might be different if guests had to pay admissions per ride.

I suspect that the number of WDW guests deciding to spend time & money at the parks & hotels (and/or the length of their stay) only marginally increases because of the rehab or renovation of any existing attraction, no matter how extensive. Thus the increase in profits for any renovated attraction probably cannot even be measured. The vast majority of WDW visitors are going to be coming to the parks and staying in Disney hotels whether Space Mountain is open or not. Even the opening of a brand new attraction, such as Expedition Everest, while it may increase daily attendance at a particular park (taking some from other parks), it probably doesn't significantly increase the number of guest vacations to WDW or the length of stays

WDW makes most of its profits in Food and merchandise sales, and to a lesser extent hotel stays. They probably barely break even on park admissions, given the cost of operating and overhead (labor). So the more they spend on park improvements the less return on those dollars.

Unfortunately for those of us who love the magic of the parks, the Bean Counters still rule. From their perspective, as long as they don't let the parks deteriorate too much, guests will keep on streaming in and buying food and merchandise, and staying in hotels. Their goal is to keep the parks in just good enough condition so that people don't stop coming. They understand that renovations (no matter how extensive) are not just not going to create many new WDW vacations and visitors.

Let's face it; most families are not gong to plan an additional trip or stay longer just because of one renovated attraction, no matter how cool and innovative, and not even for a brand new one, either.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

SM at Disneyland was only replaced due to serious structural and safety issues, maybe that is what it will take for WDW to replace the ride.

Keep in mind that Disneyland also benefited from the installation of SM in Hong Kong which is an exact duplicate of the DL ride so they were able to get 2 for the price of one in the planning and engineering of the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post

...Let's face it; most families are not gong to plan an additional trip or stay longer just because of one renovated attraction, no matter how cool and innovative, and not even for a brand new one, either.
    True, but don't you think maybe they might decide NOT to go if the parks or attractions are run down or dated...??
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I love Space Mountain !
    I'm glad it will be open when we go in January !
    I've been to DL and don't plan to go there again,so I have nothing to compare WDW vs DL Space Mountain with...it's a non-issue for me. As long as the ride is safe it's fine with me
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SignguyTom View Post
    True, but don't you think maybe they might decide NOT to go if the parks or attractions are run down or dated...??
    This is the point I'm trying to make. If nothing ever changes and all they do is maintain the status quo, what's the incentive to keep going back? Most of WDW's demographic is return guests, not first-timers. While I know there are some people out there who love Disney so much they'll come back irregardless, the more casual return visitor is going to be less and less inclined to come back over time if nothing new is added or nothing current is updated. Over time, this will eventually effect WDW as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SignguyTom View Post
    I guarantee people will decide NOT to go if a ride is closed. I agree, a run down ride would be bad, but SM is not run down by any means. Dated? Try Peter Pan (which I still love don't crucify me all you Peter Pan lovers). Space mountain is not dated simply because it doesn't have a soundtrack. People's screams and the sounds of the coasters are soundtrack enough.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunderFan View Post
    I guarantee people will decide NOT to go if a ride is closed. I agree, a run down ride would be bad, but SM is not run down by any means. Dated? Try Peter Pan (which I still love don't crucify me all you Peter Pan lovers). Space mountain is not dated simply because it doesn't have a soundtrack. People's screams and the sounds of the coasters are soundtrack enough.
    I would be really surprised if anyone based their final decision to book a WDW vacation on whether or not one attraction was open. That's not being a discriminating consumer, that's just sheer lunacy.

If the only reason anyone went to WDW was for one specific attraction, I'd question why they were wasting their money on week-long trips if that very attraction was the only thing that was enticing them to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the roughness is intended, that's why the turns are often quite sharp. It's supposed to feel out of control. However, it did seem a little less rough during some of the straightaways.
    Some roughness, perhaps. But it seems to have gotten progressively worse over the years. When we rode it for the 1st time back in the 80s, it was not nearly as rough and jerky as it has been in recent years.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be really surprised if anyone based their final decision to book a WDW vacation on whether or not one attraction was open. That's not being a discriminating consumer, that's just sheer lunacy.

If the only reason anyone went to WDW was for one specific attraction, I'd question why they were wasting their money on week-long trips if that very attraction was the only thing that was enticing them to go.
    I didn't mean people wouldn't go at all, but I know several people that postponed trips until after a ride was scheduled to reopen after a lengthy refurb. We just did that this year, rather than going in October we are going in January so my son won't miss SM on his first time he's tall enough.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunderFan View Post
    I didn't mean people wouldn't go at all, but I know several people that postponed trips until after a ride was scheduled to reopen after a lengthy refurb. We just did that this year, rather than going in October we are going in January so my son won't miss SM on his first time he's tall enough.
    I have to agree with the last part as I would have delayed by vacation had I known when I was booking that Splash would be down (AGAIN!!) in January. I have to belive that this is why Disney does not release planned refurb's / ride closings well in advance even though I am sure the plan them well in advance.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyskier View Post
    I have to agree with the last part as I would have delayed by vacation had I known when I was booking that Splash would be down (AGAIN!!) in January. I have to belive that this is why Disney does not release planned refurb's / ride closings well in advance even though I am sure the plan them well in advance.
    I'm sure they plan them in advance, but I don't think they can make an announcement until the funding for the refurb has been approved, especially if said refurb is going to be substantial in either length or content.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: