Quantcast Splash Mountain closed in Jan!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Splash Mountain closed in Jan!

I can't believe it! I've been telling my little girl for the past 6 months that she's finally tall enough to ride Splash Mountain. It's all she can talk about. She can't wait to go to WDW and ride Splash Mountain. And now Disney closes it for the whole month of Jan - exactly when we'll be there! What a crock! If I hadn't paid $1K for plane tickets, I'd cancel my trip and NEVER go back. I'll spend my future Disney time at DL instead. You know what Disney? You STINK
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been closed just after the holidays for at least the last three years. It would be nice if they would move that around a little.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

It's cool. Its a good reason to make another trip and go back. Where exactly did you get this information from? I cant find it anywhere.
    Thanks
    Missy

Post Thanks / Like

Found it on site about wdw. It's closed Jan 3 - Feb 27. This year it was closed for the 2 weeks before MLK. This year...2 months. And it's not cool. And I can't a find a single place to log complaints with Disney. I'm sure they've managed to eliminate any mention of one on all the search engines. I've never been this mad. Someone's gonna hear about this.
    Last edited by Carol; 10-09-2009 at 06:00 PM.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I can't believe it! I've been telling my little girl for the past 6 months that she's finally tall enough to ride Splash Mountain. It's all she can talk about. She can't wait to go to WDW and ride Splash Mountain. And now Disney closes it for the whole month of Jan - exactly when we'll be there! What a crock! If I hadn't paid $1K for plane tickets, I'd cancel my trip and NEVER go back. I'll spend my future Disney time at DL instead. You know what Disney? You STINK
    Surely you understand that for the rides to be properly maintained that they have to go down for refurb from time to time. I've paid attention to WDW's past refurbs and Splash Mountain is almost always down for its rehab in Jan. or Feb. Its a ride you get wet on. WDW isn't going to schedule a refurb of it during the hotter months or during the busy holiday season. So that leaves Jan. and early Feb. And I do think they try to move it around a bit. I know a few years ago it was down in Feb., your saying next year it'll be down in Jan. In all of my trips to WDW there is always something that isn't open due to a rehab. Its just the way it works.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I saw on another site that it will be closed from Jan 3- Feb 27th 2010. I'm sorry, I can tell how disappointed you are. I wouldn't expect anything from Disney however for the inconvenience. They routinely rehab the rides and I am sure it's all in the fine print that there's no gaurantee on these types of things.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been this mad. Someone's gonna hear about this.
    I can certainly understand disappointment but not this level of anger. Every attraction has to be rehabed at some point and winter months make sense to me for water parks and water rides since it would be worse to have them closed in the summer when people want to get wet to cool off and the parks are busier than January.

Every time we visit something is down and very often something we really like and it is very disappointing for sure. But its not like Disney closes things to personally hurt us or just because we're there so as to take away our fun. Its just the luck of the draw that that ride is closed at that time.

We're going in one week and will be missing Space Mountain because its currently closed. It will be open when you are there. WIn one lose one. Luck of the draw, nothing more. So I guess I can't really see what the complaint would be.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    I can certainly understand disappointment but not this level of anger. Every attraction has to be rehabed at some point. We're going in one week and will be missing Space Mountain because its currently closed. It will be open when you are there. WIn one lose one. Luck of the draw, nothing more. So I guess I can't really see what the complaint would be.
    My DD loves Song of the South. Has asked to see it all her short life. In december, they wouldn't let her ride it because she was a thumbswidth too short. So all she's talked about is growing up and riding Splash. Now she can't. And 2 months is RIDICULOUS.

By the way, Space Mountain hardly does my 42" DD any good. How do I explain why Splash Mountain is closed? I can't wait to see the tears at the "happiest" place on earth.

Post Thanks / Like

My DD loves Song of the South. Has asked to see it all her short life. In december, they wouldn't let her ride it because she was a thumbswidth too short. So all she's talked about is growing up and riding Splash. Now she can't. And 2 months is RIDICULOUS.

By the way, Space Mountain hardly does my 42" DD any good. How do I explain why Splash Mountain is closed? I can't wait to see the tears at the "happiest" place on earth.

I would never put off a trip or not go because of ONE ride, any ride for that matter, but if it means this much to you and your daughter maybe you should hold off for a few months. You may be able to use the flight credit for later in the year.

Honestly I was hoping you were just joking or being sarcastic. I can't imagine being as mad as you are over a single ride in a theme park. Believe it or not, your daughter is going to be just fine, even if she doesn't get to ride Splash Mountain this time. And trust me her tears won't be the first or last in this "Happy Place". I've seen kids, once or twice (or more ) it was my own kids, melting down and crying in WDW. It happens. I'd hate to see your reaction should something serious happen. Have you stopped to think of how you'd feel if your DD was allowed to ride Splash Mountain last time and because she was a "thumbswidth to short" she was injured? Or if the ride wasn't properly maintained and your and your family were injured on the ride because of something that could have been prevented by a rehab of the ride? These rehabs are done to ensure that guests are as safe as possible while enjoying the attractions. I am so sorry this is putting such a damper on your vacation plans, but I do think that if you stop and really think about it you'd see that this isn't as big of a deal as your thinking it is right now. And just so you know, my kids have been disappointed by rides being down in WDW plenty of times. My kids tend to feed off of my reactions. If I casually say "oh that's too bad. Oh well, just another reason to plan another trip back", my kids pretty much mimic my attitude/mood. Sure they are still upset, but if I show them that its not really a big deal they tend to let it go quicker. I hope you find a way to make your vacation work for you and your family can enjoy your time together while there.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

It is a bummer when an attraction is down when you visit. Do you ever change the oil in your car, or wash it??

Post Thanks / Like

1) Unfortunately, WDW has let things go for quite a while.
    2) Now, they are getting to the rehab and/or update of rides.
    3) This is a good thing.
    4) But, it is bad timing for many of us.
    5) When the kids and grandkids come this year, we aren't doing Disney.
    6) We decided to do Universal and Sea World.
    7) Not mad at WDW.
    8) Nothing against WDW.
    9) We just want a full park's experience.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

And 2 months is RIDICULOUS.
    Length of time depends on what needs to be done. If its two months its because they have something that takes that long. It is what it is.

Space Mountain was just an example of the fact that we're affected by it and guests going at other times won't be.

Its always disappointing when something is closed and we've had a lot over the last 19 years. Some examples are a favorite pool closed (the replacement was better), Pirates down, our favorite building at the resort closed, Tower of Terror down and Spaceship Earth amongst many, many others. But we always get everybody through it just fine.

Parents have to deal with children's disappointments in lots of things, not just Disney rides. You know your child best so you'll be able to figure it out over the next while. It just giving it a little time, taking a step back and letting your initial disappointment settle a bit and I'm sure the right solution will come to you. One thing that has worked in the past is "they're going to make even better for us the next time we're here" (or something similar)and accentuate positives.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I take it that this whole post is a joke. You have to realize that attractions go down for refurbishment, especially water rides in the winter time. Going to Disneyland instead won't solve this problem. Don't you think Splash Mountain ever goes down there?
    How many young children even have ever heard of Song of the South? It has never been released on DVD in the USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you just adjust your dates if it is so important?
    If you still plan on going at that time I would talk to your daughter before you leave and tell her that they are fixing it so it will be safe for everyone to ride, and that you know she will be sad but there is nothing you can do about it and it is important that Disney keep their rides safe.
    I agree I don't see how it is that big of a deal. My kids have been disappointed many times there about one thing or another and we just tell them next time or just move on to something else.
    Her level of reaction will greatly depend on you. I always tell my kids life isn't fair, and you don't and won't always get to do what you want or have everything you want and the sooner you realize this and get over the better life will be.
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

WooooooW.

Last time we went Pirates was down, adding Captain Jack, and this trip it is going to be our first ride! I think when the ride is down, it just gets you more excited for the next trip. Try and approach your daughter from that angle.

Space Mountain is going to be closed on our next trip but will be open when we return in January- which is of course when Splash will be closed... I'm sure we'll all live.
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

If I hadn't paid $1K for plane tickets, I'd cancel my trip and NEVER go back. I'll spend my future Disney time at DL instead. You know what Disney? You STINK
    If you can't cancel or change your plane tickets, then use them to fly to Orlando and find something else to do!! There are other parks in the area, make a hotel reservation and have a beach vacation, or explore the state. There are other things to do in Florida besides Disney.
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

We are going in January too and this makes me very sad. We love Splash and have a new family coming with us who were really looking forward to Splash but we certainly wouldn't switch our dates because of it. We've been to WDW three times and DL once and still haven't gotten to ride Pirates because of rehabs. I'm not mad a Disney, just the luck of the draw.
    To the OP....If your concerned about your daughter being upset then I suggest you talk with her well before you leave and gently explain to her that sometimes there are disappointments in life but that you will still have a wonderful time and make family memories that you can cherish forever!
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Post Thanks / Like

I"m really sorry for your daughter. I am sure she'll be upset. but there is soooo much more at Disney that I would imagine she'll get over it quickly.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

It's not like her life will be over if she doesn't get to ride Splash Mountain. Will it? I mean, is the entire trip ruined now that Splash Mountain is getting a routine refurb? If your answer is yes, then maybe you'll have to find something else to do...

Like one of the above posters said, if you remain calm and explain it to her in advance, she will mimic your reaction too. Perhaps there is another 40" ride that she could get excited for since she has reached that milestone height?
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    How many young children even have ever heard of Song of the South? It has never been released on DVD in the USA.
    I actually own it on DVD and my DD loves it. It's just upsetting. This was to be the climax of her trip - this was the joyful moment that we as parents look forward. And this afternoon, I got to watch it swirl down the comode.

Any ride in the parks would have been fine if it were down. Any ride but Splash. We'll still have fun...we just won't have that special moment we've been waiting to have on Splash.

I just wonder....are they shuting a "water ride" down for two months so they don't have to man the ride during the winter months?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: