Quantcast Dinner Choice: Whispering Canyon or Trails End?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dinner Choice: Whispering Canyon or Trails End?

We're having our first stay at Fort Wilderness. How is Trail's End for dinner? Word is, the buffet includes the same ribs and fried chicken served next door the the HDDR (from the same kitchen).

We know Whispering Canyon, the 'skillet' and the atmosphere. No better place to go after a great day at Universal Studios, whoops never mind, anyway,

This meal will be an 5pm dinner on the way to MNSSHP and we're thinking we don't "need" the whole WCan thing and and eat and go at Trail's End might work well for us.

Any thoughts or opinions about the dinner buffet at Trail's End?

Thanks, Y'all

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me preface this by saying, in no way am I a restaurant snob. I am perfectly happy with chain buffets that others cringe at. My entire family went to Trails End Buffet and all 11 of us were highly disappointed. I have seen others saying how wonderful it is, and maybe it was just an off night. But it was "off" enough that I have no desire to ever try it again. I'd go with WCC. We have eaten there a few times and have never been disappointed.
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

Whispering Canyon! The last two times there, my husband was put in "jail" and I had to sing! Good food, and alot of fun too.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

We too have been VERY disappointed with Trails End We eat at other buffets on property, no problem, we will not go back. EVER. If you do go, please do not eat the cold shrimp

Post Thanks / Like

If you have ever been sick and put in the hospital... Then this food is for you. Just as bad as hospital but worse. The most tasteless and limited amount of food in all the properties. We were so disappointed when we went there nd had to have something else to eat. Cheap is the word and the prices should give it away. But like I said you may like bland food. Plus the tiniest buffet you will ever see. Cold as well.
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

1) Stick with WCC.
    2) We used to truly enjoy Trails End.
    3) But, along with other eateries downhill path, so went TE.
    . . . the menu items were reduced
    . . . the food prep has suffered
    . . . the number of buffet entries decreased

NOTE: With this being said, WCC can be spotty for both service and food quality. The atmosphere can be highly charged and fun, but it all depends upon how the servers are that day and how much they want to put into it. The food can be good, but the cooks do get discouraged at the cutbacks and this does affect the quality. They constantly complain during the lunch in the employee cafeteria downstairs.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate Trails End and we're really pleased. We felt like we stumbled on a well kept secret. The food was fresh, delicious, the atmosphere relaxing compared to WCC. We loved the fried chicken, loved the chili. We also ate WCC a few times, and yes, the food is very good, but it is a chaotic place. Trails End was a nice change of pace from the hoopla at WCC. We enjoyed the rockers out front, the sweet tea in the mason jars..there was no rush, and we enjoyed every bite.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember, it's fun to ask for other people's input and opinion on things like this...but, in the end, it is a roll of the dice when it comes to food. More than anything else, opinions vary wildly on restaurants. WCC is a great example. Some people just rave about it, while I would caution anyone who asks about it to steer clear! (Tried it 3 times and the food was, to be kind, consistently generically blah each time). But that's just me and my opinion.

I love this site and value everyone's opinion...but rather than tell you which restaurant I'd choose, my advice is try something new --even if others nay-say.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Given your plans for the day, I'd say go to Trails End. You are staying at the resort and going off to the halloween party. To me, it makes the most sense because you will already be on site and will have less running around. We ate there in August. While it wasn't 4 star food, we had a really nice meal. It wasn't overly crowded or noisy. My kids loved playing checkers while we waited. We all found something to eat that we liked and overall it was a nice evening. If you've never done it before, why not give it a try

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

Trail's End makes a lot of sense for your itinerary. We enjoyed it on our last trip, although the atmosphere seemed very subdued (but not in a bad, morose way). The staff was very warm and friendly, and were giving us tips on our stay at the campground. Then when you are done, short walk to the launch and MNSSHP.

Have a great trip!
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: