Quantcast Columbus Day weekend at parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Columbus Day weekend at parks

I'm hearing the parks will be very busy Columbus Day weekend, which I guess I should have expected. Can someone explain the capacity situation to me? Do resort guests have priority? Does having an ADR do anything for you? Do you think DHS and AK would be better choices for the weekend and Mon? Will things calm down by Monday night and the rest of the week? Any advice would be appreciated!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it will be very crowded. Especially during the weekend at Epcot for the Food & Wine Festival. We went that week last year and decided to go the week before this year to miss some of the crowds. An ADR won't really do anything for you as far as the crowds go. This is simply an Advanced dining reservation at a table service meal. I'm not sure what you are asking when you ask if resort guest have priority? I have never known the parks to be closed to capacity during that weekend. You will still have a great time. Just be prepared to wait for the more popular rides and use fast pass to your advantage.
    Cast: ME39, DH36, DD 6, DS1
    Oct 04/Oct 05 - offsite at Westgate Vacation Villas
    May 06 - offsite at Westgate
    Aug/Sept 07 - first time on property - POFQ
    Oct 4 - Oct 13 2008 - Westgate Vacation Villas
    Oct 3 - Oct 10 2009 - off site timeshare
    May 1 - May 8 2010-Boardwalk Villas

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I heard on here the parks have 4 phases of capacity, when it reaches a higher stage less people are able to get in.

I can't remember for certain but I think at phase 1 capacity the parks are not accessible to regular offsite guests, only resort guests, annual pass holders and VIPs. Phase 2 I think the gates are closed for resort guests as well so that only annual pass holders and VIPs can get in. At phase 3 capacity only VIPs are able to enter the park while phase 4 means the park iscompletely full. Walt himself could arrive at the gates at phase 4 and though I'm sure they would ask plent of questions as to how he's been alive all these years they couldn't let him in the park!

That may not be entirely accurate as to who can still get in at which phases but the general point is types of guest that can get in becomes more limited as the park fills up. Resort guests don't get priority entry ahead of others per se, however they are able to get in for slightly longer. I believe they are garunteed entry to a park each day of their stay, however it may not be their 1st choice.

I don't think having an ADR will get you into a park, if you need to be in a park for an ADR and the park is at capacity you simply won't be able to get in to the park for the ADR.

I'm not sure what phase of capacity (if any) the parks reach on Columbus Day. In fact, being British I don't even know what/when Columbus Day is!
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

That is also Canadian Thanksgiving and many of us head down that week too. It's busy but not reaching capacity busy. Never had any problem with capacity issues over the nearly dozen times we've gone that week. After about Monday noon it quiets down. Long story short, nothing to worry about.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

We never had any problem getting into the parks but they are very crowded for anyone used to value season.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site