Quantcast Dinsey - August, 2009 - Chapter 8

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dinsey - August, 2009 - Chapter 8

Cast of Characters: Gene & Me

Date: Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Plan for the Day:
    Epcot
    Old Faithful Club for breakfast
    Around the World at Epcot Segway Tour
    ESPN Club or Electric Umbrella for Lunch
    Boma for dinner

How the Day Really Went: We have really been looking forward to the Segway tour we have scheduled for this morning! We were not looking forward to the 5:45 a.m. wake up call! Ugh! Okay! Up!

While coffee is out, the Old Faithful Club is not yet open. We grab a cuppa and dine on a brownie and some cookies we had stashed in our room.

After our feast, we head down to the bus stop where we wait about 5 minutes before an Epcot bus shows up. Our first stop is Fort Willy – then we’re off to Epcot.

It’s not quite 8 when we arrive but folks are already being let through the gate for this morning’s extra magic hour. I inquire as to where we should check in for our tour and we’re told we should report to Guest Relations. We check in and are told that there is a tour group that is a bit earlier than the one we scheduled and they will put us into that tour. Okay. Apparently, there was a party of six scheduled for this earlier tour but they have not yet arrived. Our tour ends up being a total of 4 participants – Gene and me along with a mother and daughter from Connecticut both of whom, unlike us, have ridden a Segway before. First, we pick out helmets to wear. Following that, we watch an instructional video. That is followed by a demonstration of the various controls and monitors on the machine. We move out to another area where it’s time for some practice. First, we need to practice getting on and off the Segway. That is followed by practicing moving forward and back in a straight line while we practice moving and stopping. Now it’s time to practice turning to the left, right, turning around, and weaving through cones. When we appear to be adept at that, we practice going up and down inclines and being able to stop and control the machine. We even receive instruction on how to go over an obstruction such as a hose lying across our path and under a low hanging tree branch.

Finally, it’s time to actually head out of doors. There are people out and about as we start our practice session in Future World before riding into World Showcase. We head across the front of Mexico and head around World Showcase from there. In Italy, we weave in and out of the columns. Along the way, we make several stops and learn more the pavilions we stop in. When we reach the American Pavilion, we are allowed to use the area off to the right (as you face the pavilion) as “free ride” space. By this time, we’re beginning to get pretty comfortable on the machines. (Someone recently asked about posting pictures of us. I generally do not like posting personal pictures but here we are on our Segways!)

As we approach France and take the turn into the United Kingdom, we’re beginning to feel like pros! Weaving through the United Kingdom paths is quite easy and feels very natural. Soon, we’re entering the populated areas of Future World and are soon back at our starting point where it’s time to disembark and return our Segway. At the end, we’re provided with pins.

The party who was late to the tour we took finally did arrive and they were placed into the tour we were originally scheduled for. That ended up being a fairly large tour group.

It is now 10ish. We wander through Mouse Gears. I make a couple of purchases which we ship back to the room. We enter Art of Disney.

We’re getting hungry so we check in at Guest Relations to see if anything is available. We can get into Rose n Crown or San Angel but not until 2ish. That won’t work for us. We thank the cast member for checking and head out.

To kill some time, we get on the 15 minute stand by line for Spaceship Earth. It’s mostly an accurate estimate. Our ride is interrupted several times – probably to load folks who are mobility impaired. In fact, as we exit, we notice a line of 7-10 wheelchairs lined up and waiting to get on! It’s after 11 by time we leave Spaceship Earth.

Since we were unsuccessful in finding dining in Epcot, we walk to the ESPN club but still arrive before the 11:30 a.m. opening. While waiting, we sit at a table outside and I pull out my notepad to work on my trip notes. I’m still working on them as we are seated. This seems to make our server, Aaron, a bit nervous. He asks if I’m working. I say I’m making notes for a trip report on a web site. This seems to make him quite uneasy and he asks if he’s doing a good job!

I order a Philly cheesesteak while Gene selects the Reuben. The sandwich is quite good, though huge, and I can’t finish it. Still, Aaron brings us a large chocolate mousse cake for our anniversary! I eat a few bites as I feel obligated to do so. Gene eats most of it but feels overstuffed afterwards – guess he felt obligated as well!

With lunch behind us, we decide to head back to our resort for swimming so we head to the bus stop. Ten minutes later, a bus arrives.

We change into our swimsuits and head to the pool. It is quite hot and humid this afternoon. The pool is very busy.

After returning to our room, we shower, change and head out to the boat dock where we pick up a boat to the Magic Kingdom. At the Magic Kingdom, we hop on a bus to Animal Kingdom. The sky is quite dark and threatening at this point.

By the time we finally arrive at Animal Kingdom, it is only 10 minutes until our reservation at Boma’s – and I thought we’d be early! We wander through Zawadi and then check in at Boma’s. We’re seated within five minutes. I try a crab soup which is much like lobster bisque along with greens and a mango dressing. Gene has squash soup and fruit. We share hummus and crackers. I head back to the buffet and select some pork shoulder, rare beef, fufu (sweet potato) and mixed veggies. I know Gene had beef and sweet potatoes. I believe he also had a leek dish and some corn bread.

For dessert, we select a mixture of things – zebra domes, mousse cups, banana pudding, and I don’t recall what else. We return to the table to find our server has added another dessert platter with several offerings for our anniversary. That’s very sweet but I am so seriously overeating! Who thought anniversaries could be so fattening?!

We’re not seated far from the windows and it has seemed rather darker than one would expect from the time of day. After dinner, we roam the lobby for a bit. When I glance out the large windows at the back end of the lobby, I realize it is pouring out!

We head out to the bus stop and climb aboard a bus bound for the Magic Kingdom. While waiting to leave, a young boy comes by and asks if the bus will be going to Animal Kingdom Lodge??!! The driver tells him he’s at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The boy disappears – don’t know where he went. The driver then gets out and checks his signage to make sure it really says Magic Kingdom.

Along the way back to our resort, we hear thunder and see lightening including one bolt of lightening that was clearly very close to our location!

It’s still raining heavily when we arrive at the Magic Kingdom. Which bus stop do we need for Wilderness Lodge? Number 10. The last bus stop under cover on our side is Number 11. Bummer – we need to venture out into the weather to get over to the next bus stop area where the Number 10 stop is located. Okay – umbrellas up! Once there, we only wait a few minutes before a bus pulls us and takes us home. It’s still pouring!

The weather doesn’t bother us much as we planned an early evening at home with the plan that we would watch Wishes for our balcony. That is exactly what we do! Gotta love that Magic Kingdom view!

Miles: 5.74

New for Today: Segway Tour!!! Fabulous and would definitely do this again!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Another super day!! I can't wait until DD is old enough to try the segways
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Love the picture of you and Gene! You look adorable on those segways!! I am enjoying every minute of your report, I love when I see the new installments posted!!
    There's nothing like watching Wishes from your balcony or patio..what a perfect end to the day.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the segway at innoventions- it was pretty cool- I would definately try the tour- but need to wait till my Ds6 gets a little older. Sorry to hear about the rain. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

what a great day! the tour sounds like so much fun..i hope to do one of the segway tours one day! dinner sounded very yummy!! and filling!..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed the pics of Animal Kingdom Lodge, we will have to go & check it out!
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

I was excited to read your report about the Segways. Although I still haven't had the opportunity, I bought the tour for DH as a birthday present for our upcoming trip. He's going to be so excited! Can't wait to try it myself someday, maybe when my DDs are older.
    Another great day!
    Sarah
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are,when you wish upon a star your dreams, come TRUE"

Post Thanks / Like

What a phenomenal day! Getting up early & Segwaying around the World had to be so much fun. Someday . . .

Funny about your nervous server at ESPN - he's probably vigorously searching for a review on his service on the Internet.

Can't beat the finale of your day - Wishes on the balcony. Thanks for another great report!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a pretty good day

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

The segway tour sounds awesome! Everyone always looks like they are having such fun on that tour. Don't you just love the selections at Boma's?? Can't wait for our trip in November, it's one of our ressies.
    Grammie

July 1988 Disneyland
    Aug 1997 Dixie Landings
    July 2003 off site
    Dec 2004 Day trip to Epcot
    Nov 21-Dec 1, 2007 CBR
    Nov 18-28, 2009 POP
    Nov 18-26, 2016 POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeydream View Post
    Don't you just love the selections at Boma's??
    They do seem to have something for everyone!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

The Segway tour sounds great, and you two look pretty great on them! I love Boma, but it is hard not to overeat there, so many amazing things to try. Thanks for the report!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Linda,

What a great day! The Segway tour sounds awesome, you and Gene are pro's now!! Thanks for posting a picture of you on your segways. You make a great couple, and may God continue to bless you with many more long happy years!!

Thanks for the report!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Another terrific day! Courtney has been dying to take the Segway Tour, but no one else seems to trust themselves to take it with her!
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on the Segway tour, sounds like lots of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Club Babe View Post
    Another terrific day! Courtney has been dying to take the Segway Tour, but no one else seems to trust themselves to take it with her!
    Someone should! I was a little nervous but found it was much easier than I expected it to be!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The tours are pretty well done, I'm so glad you enjoyed yours.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a great day,the segway riding looks really fun!
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the one who asked for a picture of you and Gene. So thanks! I loved your description of the Segway tour!

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: