Quantcast D23 Conference - Space Mountain

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default D23 Conference - Space Mountain

Did anyone attend the D23 conference? If so, did anyone inquire about the status of the Space Mountain refurbishment, and specifically what we can expect when the work is complete. To date, it is purely specualtion as to what type of refurbishment is taking place. We are several months into the Space Mountain refurbishment, and there is little sign of significant work being done on the exterior, which is a mess (e.g. faded paint, cracked concrete, etc.). Rumors have been all over the place with respect to the attraction itself. Considering this is THE major attraction at the Magic Kingdom, I would think it would get some attention at D23.
    Jeff T.
    July 2021 - Yacht Club Resort
    2018, 15, 14, 12, 11, 10 - Wilderness Lodge Resort
    2017, 13, 09, 08, 07, 06, 05, 04, 03 - Beach Club Resort
    2002, 1996 - Grand Floridian Resort
    2019, 01 - Boardwalk Resort
    2016, 00 - Yacht Club Resort
    1995 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    1994 - Port Orleans Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I do know they are currently beginning the testing and adjusting phase right now, but no official word as to what, exactly, has been changed.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

They probably didn't mention it because they don't want it widely publicized that when the attraction reopens it's going to be largely the same.

The budget (and refurbishment time) for the project was slashed considerably early on for 2 reasons, (thank you Phil Holmes and TDO), the first being the decline in the economy. The second was that Space Mountain is a headline attraction and people have a tendency to complain A LOT if an attraction as popular as Space Mountain is down during their stay. Never mind the fact that these people seem to forget that these things do need maintenance and improvements, and sometimes you just have to learn to deal and hope it'll be open on your next visit.

The proposed changes, including brand new track, cars with an audio system, and improved special effects, would have warranted a downtime of at least a year but at the same time put it on par with the FAR superior version of Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Sure, all the naysayers are probably pleased that it'll be open for their overwhelmingly crowded Christmas trips. However, I can guarantee you all those complainers have never been to Disneyland, because if they had and they'd been on THEIR version of Space Mountain, they'd be changing their tune about the shortened rehab. They honestly don't know what they're missing/losing by this sub-par refurb.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Sure, all the naysayers are probably pleased that it'll be open for their overwhelmingly crowded Christmas trips. However, I can guarantee you all those complainers have never been to Disneyland, because if they had and they'd been on THEIR version of Space Mountain, they'd be changing their tune about the shortened rehab. They honestly don't know what they're missing/losing by this sub-par refurb.
    Amen!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed !!!!

I rode the new Space Mountain last summer at DL and it was by far better ride. Better sound, smoother ride, better effects...I hope at least they updated the sound system of SM at WDW. The synchronized music is awesome.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

So true that if you havent experienced something, you cant know what you are missing. SM was my childhood favorite, and is our family tradition for first ride (after the "grand circle tour" on the Railroad).
    Having been to DL twice since the SM refub out there, I must agree that the DL version is FAR superior. I hate it when a favorite ride is down for my visit, but I'd gladly suffer a year or more shutdown of SM to get a version even close to that at DL.
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Rode Space Mtn Ghost Galaxy 3 times last week! Amazing compared to WDW's lame Space Mtn! Smoother, faster, more thrilling! no comparison whatsoever!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: