Quantcast Disney to acquire Marvel for $4 billion

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

They make cutbacks to the park, Disney cuts jobs, and they cut hours....yet they can spend billions on buying Spiderman????

No, I think Spiderman and I think Universal. I will never see them as Disney.

That money could have been spent on so many other projects around the parks. Bad decision, Disney...bad, bad!!
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

lockedoutlogic Guest

Alot of good thoughts here....

alot of terrible ones....

there are two that get me...

The first is "they'll have to honor the univeral contract forever"
    Really? are we that naive? This is America and there is always a way to sue the heck out of something and get what you want....
    Bet your shorts that the boys are already in the air on this one.
    Those characters just became alot more expensive....and they know that whoever owns universal this week will pay. Because that is the only reasonable course of action on both sides. mark that down

Second, my personal favorite...."they could have done alot in the parks with that money"
    That's not the way it works, folks. Parks are nothing but a necessary evil at this point. They make nothing off rides....and certainly have no itches to blow 4 billion on them because all of us out here in consumer la la land would think it's neat.
    Those parks are used to push product....plain and simple. The disneyland "haven for families" concept was abandoned long ago.
    It's the truth, and it is blatantly obvious to the watchful eye.
    They put in what is the necessary to maintain perception of love on amusement....it is only that
    Seriously, does anyone think that Disney wants to spend 150 million on development, construction and design of something that will require 20 employees to manage, 365 days a year, and cost tens if not hundreds of millions more to maintain, service, and refurbish for decades?

hard to hawk enough stuff at the show dump shop to get that money back.....impossible, actually....

Rides and shows are necessary evil to get you to feel the love, buy things, and keep doing it when you get home....that about covers it.

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Mom View Post
    They make cutbacks to the park, Disney cuts jobs, and they cut hours....yet they can spend billions on buying Spiderman????

No, I think Spiderman and I think Universal. I will never see them as Disney.

That money could have been spent on so many other projects around the parks. Bad decision, Disney...bad, bad!!
    But, remember, the P&R budget is different and separate from M&A. This is a great decision.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting article! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel characters showing up in any current Disney parks would be a real "jump the shark" moment that they will never be able to erase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Marvel characters showing up in any current Disney parks would be a real "jump the shark" moment that they will never be able to erase.
    Why? They are now part of the Disney family, just like Pixar and Power Rangers, and Club Penquin. No one screamed and yelled heresy when Club Penquin M&G's were announced, so why do people now have issues with Marvel characters?
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Thanks for posting one of the news articles for everyone to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Very interesting article! Thank you!
    No problem at all. I think it sums things up nicely. And, despite Universal still being able to use Marvel, Disney and cause migranes for Universal. Disney will have control on Universal's marketing of the characters. I bet this causes Universal to think twice about using Marvel in the future. Wait until 2011-2012 timeframe, after Harry Potter is open and is the anchor of IOA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Why? They are now part of the Disney family, just like Pixar and Power Rangers, and Club Penquin. No one screamed and yelled heresy when Club Penquin M&G's were announced, so why do people now have issues with Marvel characters?
    Maybe we run in different circles, then. I've been around the complaints out in the real world, I'm unaware whether complaints are on the Net (or where they might be). I'll take this opportunity to more re-define my position and limit it specifically to the Magic Kingdom-ish parks.

I'm obviously no longer the demographic that Disney wants to appeal to. What I have liked about the Disney company had everything to do with internal innovations, and little or nothing to do with what they bought. I don't hate big media conglomerates, rather I find them to be mostly boring and striving only to manage assets (rather than push a new frontier).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I didn't have a clue as to the "jump the shark" thot and figured it might not be clear to others...so I offer the following internet based definition of the term:

jump the shark- a term to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity. Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on waterskis. Thus was labeled the lowest point of the show.
    Having defined the term, let me say that I am not sure that the appearance of Marvel heros would be a "jump the shark" moment....if they show up at Disney Studios...I actually think that is the one place where they work. afterall as others have pointed out...its already full of non-disney characters/shows/etc (Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, Aerosmith, Star Wars, etc).
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    I didn't have a clue as to the "jump the shark" thot and figured it might not be clear to others...so I offer the following internet based definition of the term:

Having defined the term, let me say that I am not sure that the appearance of Marvel heros would be a "jump the shark" moment....if they show up at Disney Studios...I actually think that is the one place where they work. afterall as others have pointed out...its already full of non-disney characters/shows/etc (Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, Aerosmith, Star Wars, etc).
    They can replace LMA with a Marvel superhero stunt show, instant success right there.

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They can replace LMA with a Marvel superhero stunt show, instant success right there.
    Sounds REALLY good to me. LMA was a 'one and done' for us!

Post Thanks / Like

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: