Quantcast Disney with a service Dog

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney with a service Dog

My Mom and her service dog will be joining me and my family on our next trip to WDW. Mom had a stroke several years back at a young age and needs the service dog to help her with her balance and to do things for her since she has restricted mobility on one side of her body. She is not 100% mobile but does not need a wheel chair and refuses to use one. She has all the certification etc needed for the service dog. I know the parks have special areas for the dogs to do their business and that they are not allowed on certain rides.

Has anyone experienced WDW with a service dog? My Mom has a friend who just came back and said the experience with the service dog was not as she would have expected including having issues with getting a GAC.

Looking for feedback. Thanks
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to WDW last November with my service dog and had a WONDERFUL experience! We stayed at Pop and had help every step of the way. I was traveling with my parents and was surprised at how easy everything was (I am blind and use a guide dog), I expected to possibly need to use Disney's kennels (even just part time, esp. at Animal Kingdom) and never did even once. I carried a portable water bowl, and often gave her ice (many of the vendors selling water, etc, were happy to let me take a couple of ice cubes out to give to my dog). As far as relieving areas, they seemed adequate...not really the most accessible, but I was always accompanied by a CM who was very friendly and helpful. At Guest Services, they have a "guide for disabilities" park map that outlines the relief areas for service animals. I found that it was helpful to carry a copy of this map (even though I couldn't read it!) to show the cast member in that area and ask where it was (many were unaware that there was a relief area in any particular location). I also found that I needed to adjust my plan of attack to help me be near a relief area as necessary. Also, depending on the time of year you go, the pavement in FL can get very HOT! I don't know if your mother's dog has shoes or not, but I would consider them very important (even though Jolene hates hers!) in the warmer weather. I would love to hear about your experiences! If you have any other specific questions, I would be happy to help !
    Megan and four-footed Jolene "JoJo"

DL October 2004- Offsite
    WDW October 2006 - Pop Century 70's
    DCL Magic November 2008
    WDW November 2008 - Pop Century 50's
    WDW Birthday trip!!!! Aug 2009 WoooHOO!

Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it and will let you know how it goes
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: