Quantcast Front row on rides?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Front row on rides?

My son recently discovered that he likes front row on rides, and is willing to wait for the thrill of it. (In other amusement parks, he now waits in the ridiculously long front row lines.) Some of the rides at WDW are set up for this option, such as Expidition Everest -- but others are not. Does anyone know about Space Mtn - is waiting for front allowed on that one? I want to be sure to prepare him before our winter trip.
    I ask because we recently had a very bad experience at Big Thunder Mountain. I realize there is not much space in that que, and I understand that cast members need to fill the trains quickly. When we rode this summer, each time we asked if we could wait.
    Once we were allowed to wait - and he loved it. Once, we were told that there was someone else waiting, so we had to go to row three or four (I don't recall which) - but it was ok. But, the third time (on a different day) the cast member yelled at him, because he asked to wait. I thought perhaps she misunderstood what he said, as she was literally yelling - so I repeated that he was simply hoping to ride in the front. She spoke calmer to me, and told us we could wait. We made ourselves as small as possible against the wall, and sent people ahead. At the next point where they opened the rope (they were putting two trains worth in each time) this same cast member told us to go in the second row. My son said we were waiting for front. She answered that waiting isn't allowed and gave the front row to the next people in the general line. My son was crushed that those four people randomly got given the front row while we were waiting and began to weep. I was trying to calm him, tell him that she must have been confused -- and she yelled at him again -- saying if you cry you can't ride. Clearly she was having a bad day, or something -- but it left us both shaken.
    I love WDW and want to be sure that we don't run into issues again. Are there other rides where asking for front can cause a problem?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of a rule saying that you can't wait but I guess it depends on the CM. I know that on the Tower of Terror, they will let you wait, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, etc.

If you catch a NICE CM, it's 100% possible.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

On Big Thunder Mountain, I don't recommend the front seat. It's way more thrilling in the very back.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Disney is just great, but when we were at Hershey park a couple of weeks ago (as a part of MagicMeets), we quickly realized that they had a separate queue/waiting area for the front row!

Once you got to the loading area, there was a separate line for "front seat only", wouldn't it be great if Disney could do something similar?
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

1) Normally, they will let you wait.
    2) But, this is at the discretion of the loading CM.
    3) Please do not be disappointed if he is not allowed to wait.l
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm really surprised that any CM would make a big deal about wanting to wait for the front row...
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    i'm really surprised that any CM would make a big deal about wanting to wait for the front row...
    I know but I have experienced a few that would not let me wait even though it wasn't very crowded at the time. I just write these CMs as people who are miserable and want to make others miserable along with them.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    On Big Thunder Mountain, I don't recommend the front seat. It's way more thrilling in the very back.
    I agree. Much better at the back!
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

In 2006, we had a party of 4 in the front row of ToT. Just before our picture was taken, we did the "YMCA" gestures. It was funny then and I still laugh every time I see it.
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    1) Usually they do not.
    2) But, some loading zones are too small/congested to allow waiting.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I know but I have experienced a few that would not let me wait even though it wasn't very crowded at the time. I just write these CMs as people who are miserable and want to make others miserable along with them.
    I was always trained at Space Mountain that if a guest wants to ride up front, to ALWAYS let them, but to explain to the guest they may have to wait a few additional minutes until the CM can arrange for it. This is true for any ride on property.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Aside from whether or not the loading bay is big enough to allow people to wait I can only think of one more possible issue. If someone asks for the front row on the next train then the person who would have been on the front row of the next train would end up at the very back. Admittedly the back of the train is also popular (some rides elsewhere have a line for the back row as well as one for the front row) and this party would get to go on the ride sooner than before. However if someone (a child in particular) had counted the people in front of them and figured out they would be on the front row and got all excited, then they were sent to the back instead they could get upset about it.

The castmembers wouldn't want to create a scene so perhaps some of them are reluctant to allow people to wait for this reason. Or it's possible that they just put Grumpy in charge of the ride!
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

This question prompts me to ask a question about Soarin'. I have asked to be seated on the front row many times, and the CM's have always granted my wish. Once or twice I had to wait for the next show, but it's never been a problem.

Has anyone ever been denied their front-row request on Soarin'?
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

I to find the back car at BTMRR to be the best. The front is not that great when you get the top of the lifts. You are half way down before it lets go.

Post Thanks / Like

it's little consolation now, i know, but you can let him know how may people think the rides are just as good if not better from cars other than the front. i have ridden space mountain, pirates, and btmrr before all from the front and they were just as good or better from other seats. i like to sit in different parts of rides each time because you notice different parts when you see it from another view. riding in the front is a nice surprise, but any seat is a good one!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5togetherWDW View Post
    I ask because we recently had a very bad experience at Big Thunder Mountain.
    As a former Big Thunder Mountain cast member, I'd like to apologize for your bad experience.

Although, as an insider's tip, on Big Thunder the very last row is FAR superior to the first row, especially at night.

Here's why:
    Unlike many roller coasters which have large vertical drops (such as Expedition Everest), Big Thunder Mountain's largest VERTICAL drop is only 8 feet (following the third lift). Due to the length of the train on this ride, while in the front row, you're quite often at the bottom of any sort of 'hill' before the train begins to pick up speed when the rest of the cars catch up.

In the last row of the train however, you're being pulled by the weight of the rest of the train. This not only makes the ride more exciting, but it also makes it feel much faster than it really is. It's an amazing experience, and at night, because you have a more difficult time perceiving where you are going to go next, it's slightly disorienting and feels even faster than during the day in the same row.

I'm a back row convert ever since I started working there and no matter which Disney park I go to or which Big Thunder Mountain I ride, I ALWAYS request to sit in the back row.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that your experience occurred on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, as that was the one ride last week that the CM refused our request to sit in back. They were not rude, by any means, and we just went with the flow but I have to say I'm perplexed as to why, since there was no one else waiting for the back row. We had a similar experience at BTMR in Disneyland when we were there last summer, and there is plenty of room on that loading dock for a small party (2) to wait.

Other than that we have never had a problem with a CM allowing us to wait for a particular row, whether it be on Space Mountain, Soarin', Rock n Roller Coaster or Splash Mountain.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    I think Disney is just great, but when we were at Hershey park a couple of weeks ago (as a part of MagicMeets), we quickly realized that they had a separate queue/waiting area for the front row!

Once you got to the loading area, there was a separate line for "front seat only", wouldn't it be great if Disney could do something similar?

Cedar Point I know has this on some of the newer coasters. Just for that reason of wanting to ride in the front car. Me like the others. I will take the back.

Dean
    Twitter = DVC5571

Apr 04--First trip ever--30th Birthday Present
    Dec 05--Off Site (Honeymoon)
    Oct 07-- On Stie POP
    Feb 09-- Off Site -AK day trip
    Sept 10 -- Onsite -Coronodo Springs

Member of the Tommorowland Metro-Retro Historical Society

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Agreed. I love the back on rollercoasters.

You are very patient to deal with waiting for your son's preferences. On our last trip, my daughter, just 2 at the time, went bezerk when all the yellow tea cups were taken on that ride and had a rather embarrassing tantrum, refusing to ride in the pink one, or exit, or do anything but writhe around on the floor while everyone stared at us as she held up the entire ride. It was one of those classic parent moments you see and swear would never happen to you.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Front Row

BTMRR: The "Train Engine" is at the front so sitting in the front isn't that special.

EE: The front row is GREAT - and if you ask you'll be placed in the front row queue so the wait is a bit longer but very worth it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: